Curious about GSF but wary about PvP? Don't be! Give it a shot :)

Nemarus

I know a lot of people are not normally PvPers--I haven't historically been a big fan of it myself.

But I just want to point out that, after having tested GSF in closed and open beta for about two months now, it really isn't like other forms of PvP. There's no trash talking (everyone is too busy flying to type, and most people minimize the chat window), there's no stuns, and even if your team is losing, you can still be having a lot of fun dogfighting--and your character and ships will be rewarded for that effort and fun.

Really, there's nothing stopping you from just pretending all the enemy fighters are controlled by computer AI--albeit AI's that are very unpredictable with a widely varying level of skill. Some you'll beat easily. Others may beat you easily. But even if you do get shot down, you just respawn right away again and you can go to a different objective. Most of all, the more you play, the more you'll learn and the better you'll become. I started out terrible, but now I'm one of the better pilots in the test server. But I'm sure new folks will come along and humble me :)

That unpredictability is what makes GSF so fun to play, match after match, even though there's only two maps right now (more are coming I'm sure). No two matches are the same. Compare that to the PvE space missions, where the same fighters fly on the same paths every time, without fail, until you can eventually do it with your eyes closed.

I advise everyone to try it out--and not just a match or two, but a couple dozen matches. There is a learning curve, but it's not a tough one, and you may find you do better than you expect.

And if you ever played and enjoyed X-wing, TIE Fighter, or Rogue Squadron, you absolutely need to play GSF. It's the closet thing to a true successor/sequel to those games that has ever come out. Right down to managing laser/shield/engine power.

So yeah... whether you're a casual solo player, an RPer, a raider, or a warzone veteran, give GSF a fair shot ... play a few hours for a couple of nights. Try out the different ships. What have you got to lose?

Edited by Nemarus

I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm with you on this one. Specifically, I reactivated my sub after 1,5 years just for this :D I don't do PvP anymore (in fact I think it's been something like 5 years since my last PK) but my love for space sims got the better of me. At the very least it should hold me until the Star Citizen dogfighting module, and hopefully it will be good enough to keep me returning even after that.

So yeah... whether you're a casual solo player, an RPer, a raider, or a warzone veteran, give GSF a fair shot ... play a few hours for a couple of nights. Try out the different ships. What have you got to lose?

Not to discourage people from trying it out but...c'mon.

It's a space sim with PVP elements.

You have to at the very least like that specific genre to enjoy GS. It's not like trying to convince someone who enjoys PVE to give raiding a try because they might like it despite the higher difficulty or the need for coordination etc.

It's an entirely different (mini)game.

So yeah, people who like that genre and maybe those that don't have strong feelings either way, should give it a try.

But if you hate that genre, I doubt GS is going to change anything.

You have to at the very least like that specific genre to enjoy GS. It's not like trying to convince someone who enjoys PVE to give raiding a try because they might like it despite the higher difficulty or the need for coordination etc.

So yeah, people who like that genre and maybe those that don't have strong feelings either way, should give it a try.

I think that a lot of people (younger ones especially) have never even had an opportunity to try a good space sim--there have been so few since XvT and Wing Commander days.

But either way, what's the harm in trying? My main point is to not let the "PvP" aspect scare people from trying it out.

It's a space sim lite really. It has lots of customization and options from what Ive seen but its nowhere near as niche a game as X, Privateer etc. Anyone who enjoyed the Battlefield or Battlefront games should feel quite at home here I guess.

I think the main problem with all the "I want PvE space combat" chatter here is that most don't really understand that this is not MMO PvP.

This is more like Battlefield 4 PvP, Warthunder PvP or World of Tanks PvP.

It is skill based, not equipment and abilities based.

There is next to no trash talk on chat, because most don't have time for it.

It is not MMO PvP as we know it.

Which is also why alot of "pro" PvP players who were in the beta were complaining and saying it was no good.

Because it is skill based, a complete noob in a completely stock scout can take you out without warning if you are not careful (or if he simply is better than you).

This gets under the skin of many MMO PvP'ers who are used to being dominant because of their gear and not their skill.

(Sure there is some skill involved in regular MMO PvP, but not as much as in skill based PvP (ie. Multiplayer) games)

And if you ever played and enjoyed X-wing, TIE Fighter, or Rogue Squadron, you absolutely need to play GSF. It's the closet thing to a true successor/sequel to those games that has ever come out.

You can't be more wrong unfortunately. The controls are absolutely horrible.

Edited by Spamfritter

I think that a lot of people (younger ones especially) have never even had an opportunity to try a good space sim--there have been so few since XvT and Wing Commander days.

But either way, what's the harm in trying? My main point is to not let the "PvP" aspect scare people from trying it out.

And I don't think it will, to be honest.

The PVP aspect is different than the current one. Plus, everyone's starting fresh so it's less intimidating for a new player than it is with normal PVP.

There's no harm in trying, obviously. However, for me personally, this is not what I wanted from SWTOR because I don't like space sims. If I did, I would be playing a game like EVE, where space combat is the key element and not something added later because people wanted the "SWG experience" all over again.

But I do hope people enjoy it.

You can't be more wrong unfortunately. The controls are absolutely horrible.

I played the X-wing and WC series games with a Flightmaster joystick. Would I prefer a joystick for GSF? Maybe. But either way it didn't take more than a few matches for me to apply my space sim skills to GSF using mouse and keyboard. How many matches did you try before you scoffed and quit?

I think the main problem with all the "I want PvE space combat" chatter here is that most don't really understand that this is not MMO PvP.

The funny thing is.. GS really does not feel like PvP since there are no character on character combat with in game class skills.

It IS much more like Ship on Ship PvE where the opposing ships just have really good AI (or perhaps occasionally really inept AI too :p )

The PvE crowd need to stretch their wings a bit and give it a go with this perspective in mind IMO.

I'm scared of being called a "bad" - is there anything to insulate me from those types of vicious personal attacks? Like, rather than my toon name, can I use a callsign like Big Mack or something?

I lol'ed, and then I thought maybe TUX should be the Big Mick instead.

And name your ship The Golden Arcs

Wait, it's skill based? Don't get me wrong, you need your skill to go dogfight, I thought it had a lot to do with gear too? Shield upgrades and such? Confused.

Either way I can't wait to jump in NEXT WEEK!

The gear gap is small enough that a skilled pilot in a stock ship can easily down any lesser pilot, no matter what they're flying. Gearing is mostly a matter of tailoring your ships to suite your own personal preference for how you want to play.

Winning matches is much more about watching out for your fellow pilots, and clearing the enemies off their six, than it is about being good in 1v1 dogfights. And a skilled pilot can hold off the cap in a 1v3 situation long enough for wingmen to arrive.

Wait, it's skill based? Don't get me wrong, you need your skill to go dogfight, I thought it had a lot to do with gear too? Shield upgrades and such? Confused.

There are marginal, incremental, single-digit percentage upgrades to components, yes. The biggest raw numerical upgrade I ever saw was an upgrade that makes your blasters do 18% more damage to shields OR hull (you have to pick). And that is the max upgrade for blasters, costing a total of 39000 ship requisition, which will take a very, very long time to acquire ... and because upgrade costs go up sharply by tier (1000 for tier 1, 3000 for tier 2, 5000 for tier 3, 10000 for tier 4, 20000 for tier 5), it is much better to buy a bunch of lower tier upgrades across all components (blasters, missiles, shields, engines, etc.), rather than focusing on just one component.

So yes, people with upgraded ships will have an advantage, but not one that cannot be overcome by skill or situational advantage. Shooting at someone a half second before they start shoot at you will far outweigh an 18% increase in damage.

Thats likely caused by players wanting more and more open world shooters, which means space sims get a backseat, but when it comes to this GS thing, pvp is always predictable, while i admit that if its not like normal pvp, then it might have potential, but i really do hate pvp, i think it shouldn't exist, but thats my opinion.

It is strange though that everyone that does pvp say that they do it for the challenge of facing an unpredictable enemy and enjoy the challenge in defeating them, yet they make sure that they will not lose before they start the fight, thus avoiding the challenge all together.....maybe its just the latest generation of gamers that do this??

It's not even close to being a space sim. Its much more akin to an action flight game because quite honestly, Star Wars traditionally ignores space itself and treats everything like its in atmosphere.

There really isn't a good reason for someone to not at least TRY it. If someone doesn't like it, no harm no foul.

The funny thing is.. GS really does not feel like PvP since there are no character on character combat with in game class skills.

It IS much more like Ship on Ship PvE where the opposing ships just have really good AI (or perhaps occasionally really inept AI too :p )

The PvE crowd need to stretch their wings a bit and give it a go with this perspective in mind IMO.

I am typically a PVE only type player... For what ever reason, PVP in an MMO has just never sat with me very will.. I didn't like it in WOW, and I don't like it here...

Now enter GS... I also played in both closed and open beta.. It has been a long time since I played one of my all time favorite games.. Descent II & III... GS really has that fly by the seat of your pants feeling to it.. Oh how I missed it.. This is my kind of PVP.. All we need now is some form of CTF and all will be perfect..

Oh.. And while your at it.. A supply of frag missiles and Napalm rockets.. A Mass Driver and a microwave cannon.. :D

The biggest factor that will determine whether people will like GSF is whether they enjoy twitch-based gameplay or not. MMOs are traditionally not twitch-based. So the question is whether the majority of people who have chosen to play this MMO will enjoy a twitch based mode of gameplay added to that MMO. Some will, and others wont. Neither group is right or wrong in their preferences. Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

It's not even close to being a space sim. Its much more akin to an action flight game because quite honestly, Star Wars traditionally ignores space itself and treats everything like its in atmosphere.

There really isn't a good reason for someone to not at least TRY it. If someone doesn't like it, no harm no foul.

Agreed, with this AND the OP.

Indeed, this is very unlike wahtever people might think of MMO PvP, and it definitely is quite a blast.

But most importantly: don't listen to the naysayers, or to us enthousiasts really: make up your own mind, and give it a good try. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

its not the pvp that makes me wary, personally. its the off the rails flight. I have enough trouble shooting and dodging at the same time, with current on rails missions.

off the rails? i don't really fancy being easy pickings for the enemy team, while I fumble with controls and try to figure out where the hell am I in relation to everything else.

Edited by Jeweledleah

its not the pvp that makes me wary, personally. its the off the rails flight. I have enough trouble shooting and dodging at the same time, with current on rails missions.

off the rails? i don't really fancy being easy pickings for the enemy team, while I fumble with controls and try to figure out where the hell am I in relation to everything else.

This is a prime example of what I was talking about in my previous post:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6977241#post6977241

This is a prime example of what I was talking about in my previous post:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6977241#post6977241

more or less.

its not merely twitch though that does play a role.

its orienting yourself in 3d space, rendered on 2d surface.

depending on how your camera is facing, distance perception changes, locations change, etc. maybe I'm wrong. maybe its something I can actually play without wanting to smash my keyboard in frustration.

but Nahash I think it was? is correct. its a very specific sort of mini game and even people who may enjoy pvp with their characters, on the ground, may end up hating GSF. and vice versa.

It's about as gear based as BF3 or CoD is...

But it is not nearly as gear based as regular MMO PvP, where a lvl 55 with full PvP gear can slaughter a similar lvl 55 in PvE gear in seconds...