Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Prepaid Mastercard issue when purchasing Cartel Coins - Error Code 9 and NU2099

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Prepaid Mastercard issue when purchasing Cartel Coins - Error Code 9 and NU2099

ProfessorOrion
11.24.2013 , 03:57 PM | #1
I purchased a prepaid Mastercard to add to my account to enable purchasing of Cartel Coins in-game as I use Paypal for subscription and Paypal is not valid for in-game purchasing. It was my understanding that you had to previously have purchased Cartel Coins (though they didn't specify if it had to be on the same card or not) so I put $43 on the prepaid card so I could make a $20 (2400 CC) initial purchase and then once enabled for in-game purchasing, I would spend another $20 on the 50% off 5500 CC in-game.

I added the prepaid Mastercard to my account (by going to My Account > Subscription > Change Billing Method > Add New Credit Card). I then went under My Account > Cartel Coins > Enable purchasing of in-game cartel coins and selected the newly added prepaid card. I then went to the website store and when I attempted to make the online purchase I got:
Quote:
An error occurred while processing your request. If you canceled your purchase at the third party payment website, this error is expected. Code: NU2099
I thought that was strange so I decided to try it in-game. I pulled up the Cartel Market, clicked Add Coins and it loaded a screen with the 4 CC pack options (at the 50% off price) and showed that I would be completing it with my prepaid card. I selected the $20 pack and clicked Buy Now then Confirm . I then got the following error:
Quote:
An error occurred while processing your request. If the problem persists, please contact Customer Support. Error Code: 9
I logged out and back and tried again thinking it may have been because I just added it. Same error. At this point I called Customer Service and was told that I should call the card issuer to make sure SWTOR wasn't on their "blacklist" or to have them put SWTOR on their "whitelist" (although I'm not surprised that SWTOR would end up on a bank's blacklist). I then called up the card issuer (Bankcorp) and they told me the reason the transaction was failing was because SWTOR was processing it as a "recurring" transaction which are apparently not allowed on prepaid cards! I called SWTOR right back and they escalated it to Tier 3 and I spoke with a customer service rep that told me their wasn't much he could do except advised me to make sure I added an address to my account so the Zip Codes would match up. But then he said I couldn't attempt a purchase again that day because the card had been blocked for too many attempts in one day and I would have to wait 24-48 hours.

I waited the 48 hours and tried again on the website and in-game. Same errors both times. I called in was told by a representative that prepaid cards were not a valid form of payment and there was nothing he could do. I asked him where it states that prepaid cards are not valid and he said that in-game purchases were not allowed with prepaid cards. I pointed out that the website specifically states Paypal and Boku but says nothing about prepaid Mastercards. He said there was nothing he could do and suggested I ask a friend for a "real" credit card that I could use and give this friend my prepaid card (seriously?!?! I couldn't believe he said that!) I hung up on him and called back to hopefully get someone else.

My third call I actually got to a slightly more helpful person who still wasn't sure there was anything he could do. I explained that this had already been dragging out for 4 days now and the promotion would be ending in a little more than week (Also, Treek is on 10% discount and that's what I wanted the CC's for! and that will only last until Tuesday) He created a Tier 3 support ticket but we got disconnected when he tried to transfer it. I had to run anyways so I waited to call back until today.

I called in a few minutes ago and asked them to look up the Tier 3 ticket and transfer me. Instead the rep asked what it was about and I stated the issue and the error codes. She then informed me it was a known issue and that she had no timeframe on a resolution. I asked about the soon-to-be-ending 50% off promo (as well as mentioned the 10% off Treek sale in-game) and she said that I should try calling back in a day or two to get an update. I asked if there was anything they could do if it took longer than when the promotion ended and she simply said "Oh I'm sure we can work something out". I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to mean, but I would hope that if it goes past those dates that they'll credit the extra CCs I'd have to spend (or not get for the $20 price). So I guess I'm just waiting until Tuesday to call again and see *** is going on!

Let's just say this whole ordeal has left quite a bitter taste towards SWTOR. Might be time to find a different game!

OwenBrooks
11.24.2013 , 05:52 PM | #2
I know pre-paid cards have been an issue before, but just to check on one thing , you have registered and activated the prepaid card itself ? - http://www.mastercard.com/mel/person.../faqs.html#q02

Q
Do I need to activate and/or register my card before using it?
A
Yes, call the phone number or visit the web site on the card packaging to activate your card before using it. Activation and registration requirements vary, so check your card packaging for detailed instructions. To take advantage of the reload function and card benefits such as zero liability or card replacement, you will need to register your card by providing your personal information, including government issued identification.

ProfessorOrion
11.24.2013 , 11:17 PM | #3
Sorry, I should have mentioned that...I have activated the card properly and enabled it for online purchases as well as set up my zip code properly so that the address verification will process correctly.

ProfessorOrion
11.25.2013 , 12:25 PM | #4
Wow...so here's a stunner! Just got this email response relating to the support ticket:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting customer support to report your issues with making purchases on your account for cartel coins, I have taken the opportunity to review your account and previous billing history to establish the cause of the payment issues.

Having completed the review of the billing information, I am sorry to inform that your account is currently locked out from making additional purchases for cartel coins for a period of up to 30 days. I would request that you refrain from any additional purchase attempts on the account for a period of at least 7 days as this may result the lockout being extended.

A lockout does not mean that you are unable to add additional coins to the account; it does however mean that they are unable to be purchases directly through the website. Cartel coins can also be purchased through online retailers such as Amazon and BestBuy. They may also be available in GameStop, BestBuy and Wal-Mart.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and disruption to the service that this may cause.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if there is anything further we can help you with.

Regards,

Gary
Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service
So apparently, trying too many times because their system doesn't work means that I now have to wait 30 days?! Are you kidding me?! This is ridiculous! I get punished for trying to give them $40! Unbelievable!

Essentially their answer is: "You are getting an error 9 code because you have gotten an error 9 code too many times" ?!?!?!

Tourmaline
12.30.2013 , 04:38 AM | #5
It was my Visa, our paypal draws from the same account and it worked fine. Dunno why it hates CC or whatever. :/
***NOT*** for sale/beg/borrow or trade EVER. :P If someone says I am, report them asap.

Roalmo
12.30.2013 , 04:57 AM | #6
The pre-paid MC is NOT a "credit card" in the eyes of EA, and they require a "real" credit card(one that can accept monthly revolving charges like recurring sub charges) to use for CCs.

The system checks if it is a "real" credit card and if it isn't they deny the purchase. Silly rules I know.

The nonsense robot reply you got is just a stall tactic so you quit bothering them.

Might try paypal, but some folks have trouble with that too.