Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darthflation... or have we reached peak Darths?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Darthflation... or have we reached peak Darths?

ScarletBlaze
11.19.2013 , 11:10 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by StarMagus View Post
He clearly didn't have the powers of somebody who had completed the game. At level 12, most of the powers you get in the game aren't even there yet.

That said.... I'll repeat from before...

It's very much part of the lore that force users can get a feel for how powerful other force users are.
You are not understanding what I am trying to say. What you see is a game mechanic showing that he is level 12 only. You are not seeing that he could very well roleplay his role very well. The abilities are just a game mechanic in a game which has nothing to do with roleplaying.

In roleplaying it is taking a role and making it work for you. For me example I don't use most of the game mission as a basis of my roleplay. My background and story has been done prior to the game and I may take bits and pieces of it to work into my story but for the most part it is just something that the game provided and is not part of my story.

This could be what this invididual was doing but you only saw his level.

You have every right not to roleplay with him but you don't have the right to tell him he can't roleplay that way. Most of the roleplayiers I know separate the game mechanics from the actual roleplay because quite frankly the game mechancis are limiting to what you can do and most roleplayers have a better ideas for their character.

Levels, names, titles are non-existent for a lot of the roleplayers. They are just there for the game.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

StarMagus
11.19.2013 , 12:17 PM | #22
The problem is you are taking a role in a game that grants roles, titles and powers, and claiming for yourself titles, roles, and the like that the game has granted you.

In free form RP that's more allowed because there are very few rules, but in a game that has rules there are ways to have your character have the powers, ranks and titles you want. Sort of like playing monopoly and on the first turn declairing that you want to RP as somebody who owns all the property on the board and others should just go with it because actually owning the property is a game mechanic and you are RPing.

Quote:
the game mechancis are limiting to what you can do and most roleplayers have a better ideas for their character.
Having some limits is not a bad thing. It's the same reason I shake my head about people who RP as vampires like Venture or Brujha or Toreadores in a Star Wars game. Or somebody who says that he's a Star Trek officer and this is a holodeck program... or somebody who claims to be puff the magic dragon ((totally not a drug reference.. honest!)).

Beltane
11.19.2013 , 12:32 PM | #23
StarMagus, you started this thread asking what people think, only to completely disregard/fail to respond to anyone with a different viewpoint, lol.

Yes, some people share your mindset, but as has already been explained to you, it isn't a "problem" that some people consider RP to be outside the game mechanics. It's just a Rp style.

Here's another real example for you. My guild is a dedicated RP guild, meaning we exist solely to RP, not to PVP & raid and sometimes RP on the side like many guilds. Some people who have no interest in actually playing the "real game" anymore have come back to TOR to RP with us. Others are F2P and limited and are leveling in slow motion, yet play Lords. Why should they be "punished" and not taken seriously by random people when they have months/years to back up their RP as well as a whole guild of people taking them seriously?

Here's another scenario! I had a max level geared Jugg and then decided to recreate the same character as a Marauder, and I RPed her while leveling. Did my character suddenly have no power anymore just because I rerolled her?

Your way is the right way for you, but it isn't the right way for everyone.

I would seriously be interested to know your mindset about level 55s since you keep avoiding the question? Are they all the same power level, then, regardless of if someone is RPing a non-combatant or not? Level is so arbitrary.

OddballEasyEight
11.19.2013 , 12:38 PM | #24
or somebody who claims to be puff the magic dragon ((totally not a drug reference.. honest!)).
Oh I remember puff the magic dragon! That was a great movie (when you were a kid)
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

OddballEasyEight
11.19.2013 , 12:40 PM | #25
I think the better question is; Why does everybody have to play a frikkin Darth?
Isn't it challenging to play a lower level character? Maby not even a Lord, but an apprentice and whatnot?
But i swear, 9 out of 10 RP'ers I see that play Sith are frikkin Darths... If not something even higher... *sigh*
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

Beltane
11.19.2013 , 12:46 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
I think the better question is; Why does everybody have to play a frikkin Darth?
Isn't it challenging to play a lower level character? Maby not even a Lord, but an apprentice and whatnot?
But i swear, 9 out of 10 RP'ers I see that play Sith are frikkin Darths... If not something even higher... *sigh*
I agree with this, but apparently it's okay to play one if you're 55.

I would rather see discussion about why playing a Darth just because you have the OOC title isn't necessarily a good idea, than I would a discussion about how you have to be high level to have ultimate power. Come to think, I might make a thread like that.

ScarletBlaze
11.19.2013 , 12:51 PM | #27
The problem is you are taking a role in a game that grants roles, titles and powers, and claiming for yourself titles, roles, and the like that the game has granted you.

In free form RP that's more allowed because there are very few rules, but in a game that has rules there are ways to have your character have the powers, ranks and titles you want. Sort of like playing monopoly and on the first turn declairing that you want to RP as somebody who owns all the property on the board and others should just go with it because actually owning the property is a game mechanic and you are RPing.

Having some limits is not a bad thing. It's the same reason I shake my head about people who RP as vampires like Venture or Brujha or Toreadores in a Star Wars game. Or somebody who says that he's a Star Trek officer and this is a holodeck program... or somebody who claims to be puff the magic dragon ((totally not a drug reference.. honest!)).
As I said that is your choice to roleplay your way but you need to grant people the right to roleplay their way without judging them. There is not one way to roleplay.

I grant you that some of the roleplay is weird but that is their choice. I don't have to roleplay with them but I do grant them the right to roleplay their way without commenting and telling them they are wrong. If approached I politely tell them their style and mine don't work and I have yet to have anyone get mad or upset at me about it.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

Valkyone
11.19.2013 , 03:27 PM | #28
I am of the belief that if you are desiring to RP something powerful, and can't even be bothered to level all the way up to acquire the correct RP gear and title - an effort I consider a token of your seriousness to RP your above-average character, then you are not worthy of being considered seriously.

branmakmuffin
11.23.2013 , 06:27 PM | #29
Level and class have nothing to do with RP. I'm also not obliged to accept as "Darth" anyone who claims IC that they are a Darth. No one is part of my IC universe unless I say so. If someone I have no idea who they are claims "I am Darth Inflation," my reply is "Never heard of you." Level obviously can't enter into it IC because, IC, characters do not have levels (or classes or titles or guilds). The only distinctions you can make IC regarding class is "You're wearing a lightsaber."

Beltane
11.25.2013 , 03:46 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Level and class have nothing to do with RP. I'm also not obliged to accept as "Darth" anyone who claims IC that they are a Darth. No one is part of my IC universe unless I say so. If someone I have no idea who they are claims "I am Darth Inflation," my reply is "Never heard of you." =
I'm just curious what this accomplishes in your mind? It's pretty lonely to RP without acknowledging anyone else.