Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My Wants for SW:TOR PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
My Wants for SW:TOR PvP

Wyrik
12.21.2011 , 11:30 PM | #1
I want to start this post by saying I love TOR and really have enjoyed playing so far. The PvE aspect of the game is amazing. The rich depth of the quests and class story lines is unbelievable. The voice acting really brings everything to life, and the environments that have been created for us are outstanding to play in. That being said, I was really expecting something grand on the PvP aspect and haven’t found it in this game.

I feel like I have to give my background in MMORPG games. My first MMORPG was Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) which was created by Mythic (who is currently owned by EA and is part of Bioware Mythic). From there I played several other MMO’s (WAR, WOW, Lineage, LOTRO, Guild Wars) and none of them came close to touching DAOC in the PvP/RvR aspect. As such, I was hoping that TOR was going to take from DAOC, which is widely heralded as the best PvP/RvR (realm vs realm) game created, and implement it into TOR. It does not appear that this is the case.

TOR feels very similar to WOW in regards to what is offered in PvP. It appears that BG’s are created that impact the overall game in no way, shape, or form and are just fun games to play to pass the time from PvE. The talk of Rated BG’s and some sort of Arena system are the same. They offer nothing to the game and just a side note to the game.
Since I know most of the people that will read this have probably come from WOW as being their only MMO experience (and that’s fine), I want to take some time to tell you what was great about DAOC and how SW:TOR could become, not only the best PvE MMO ever, but also replace DAOC as the best true PvP/RvR experience offered.

In DAOC, BGs were just that, Battle Grounds. There was a Keep or multiple Keeps in the middle of the map that one side could control. There wasn’t a timed game of capture the flag, or score a goal. It was Keep/Base warfare. One side would control the base and could improve/repair the base as it was attacked. You could set up siege in the base to help repel the incoming attack. You had to actually repair the damaged keep walls or door. You could man the oil on the gate and own the fools trying to knock it down.

If you were those assaulting the keep, you too had siege. You could actually construct trebuchets and catapults on the battlefield and knock down the gates and walls. Stealth classes could climb up the keep walls and try to kill those ranged classes that were raining down fury on those below. Once you got the outer wall down, there was an inner gate to deal with. Once that was down, the assailants would run up to the keep Lord and have to kill him in order to take the keep. At the keep Lord there would be an epic battle between both sides until either the defenders one or the assailants captured the keep. This was an ongoing battle, with no timer, and was a blast!

This form of BG was to get you used to the way endgame RvR would be played. In endgame RvR, there was a large area called the Frontiers. Each side owned a portion of the frontier and had the same number of keeps on each side. These keeps were the key to the realms two relics. In order to open up a sides relic keep to steal their relics, you had to control a number of their keeps. It was a brilliant end game RvR as it meant something to the game. The relics gave special bonuses to the owners (increased xp, damage, etc) so there was a reason to own them. This was a never ending process and gave purpose to PvP/RvR other than just a ranking/rating. It actually effected the entire game.

I wish TOR would put something like this into the game to make the PvP something more than just a place to grind titles and gear. Think of having something like this on each planet and then an entire planet that is dedicated to PvP/RvR similar to the frontiers that I talked about. I’m sure there is something that could be used as relics in Star Wars lore. I feel that this would be an awesome addition to an already great game. It would make my favorite aspect of MMORPGs so much more in depth in TOR. Just my thoughts.

(On a side note, there were 3 realms in DAOC. I think I remember rumblings about there being a 3rd “realm” being the Hutts added to TOR. Any update on this?)
Wyrik-50 Armsman-DAoC Merlin -Retired
Veryvery-50 Infiltrator-DAoC Merlin - Retired
Emancipation-85 DK-WoW Misha - Retired
Gout - Sith Juggernaut - Daragon Trail- 25

Ongathula
12.22.2011 , 12:29 AM | #2
I completely agree. My biggest fear for this game is that PvP wont be enjoyable. I know it is very very early in its release, I just don't want to see this game become a grind fest.

I also played WoW and WarHammer - I would rather see the open world PvP a mixture of Vanilla WoW and Warhammer.

killforce
12.22.2011 , 01:15 AM | #3
This game would be a blast if they did pvp like daoc/war. I thought they had people from mythic doing pvp ?

Wyrik
12.22.2011 , 01:33 AM | #4
I agree, I figured that they'd have the masters at PvP do it in this game too. The game is still young and perhaps changes can/will be made but I would really like it if there was more depth to the PvP.
Wyrik-50 Armsman-DAoC Merlin -Retired
Veryvery-50 Infiltrator-DAoC Merlin - Retired
Emancipation-85 DK-WoW Misha - Retired
Gout - Sith Juggernaut - Daragon Trail- 25

Ongathula
12.22.2011 , 10:19 PM | #5
Has there been any mention of endgame PvP, or is the plan gonna be bg's and an arena type format?

Regarding the PvE aspect of TOR, I think the game is spot on story-wise. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the PvP aspect will be fleshed out more.

Crayo
12.22.2011 , 10:22 PM | #6
My only wants for PvP are a few UI additions maybe some DR or have resolve fill faster, perhaps just less CC altogether. I hate how some classes have enough back to back CC to fill your resolve bar up on their own (not just the same abilities, knockback then a root then a stun etcetcetc).

Ninaran
12.22.2011 , 10:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by killforce View Post
This game would be a blast if they did pvp like daoc/war. I thought they had people from mythic doing pvp ?
I don't think the PvP is bad. We just can't really experience it with the bad servers and performance issues.
The Force won't help you now...

Ongathula
12.23.2011 , 12:42 PM | #8
The current state reminds me of Vanilla WoW and the grindfest for titles.

And crowd control needs a tweek. There is far too much of it.

Sprgmr
12.23.2011 , 12:47 PM | #9
What about some benefits, or at least recognition, of open world PvP?

Ongathula
12.23.2011 , 03:10 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sprgmr View Post
What about some benefits, or at least recognition, of open world PvP?
Very much agree!

When I initially got to Nar Shaddaa I was excited that it was a contested area. I eagerly looked for enemies to attack, unfortunately, there was none. It could be that I was on the planet at the exact time the enemy was not, however, I would love to see a mass World PvP area.