Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hands-on with SWTOR's Galactic Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Hands-on with SWTOR's Galactic Starfighter

Antediluvian
11.14.2013 , 02:07 PM | #21
I know this would never happen but from the sounds of it, a certain "recently revealed controller using touchpads" would work quite well here

Infernixx
11.14.2013 , 02:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Ah. With mouse aiming it is very difficult to use a gamepad. That is a mistake in design IMO.

We will see if folks like it. I certainly hope they do...if mouse aiming turns out to be more enjoyable and easy to pick up instead of a fixed reticule than so be it...and that would be great.

But I suspect that is not the case, and if they did design it with a mouse aim and folks find that too complicated it will turn out to a be a huge design flaw IMO.

I hope I am wrong.
Yes, you do sound very concerned.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

GalacticKegger
11.14.2013 , 02:48 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
The buzz internet wide seems relatively positive, though I keep hearing about the lack of gamepad support over and over. I am worried that this will be a mistake on Bioware's part...this should have had native gamepad support at launch.

Other than that it looks like the appeal will be rather widespread...and another notable point, it looks like hardcore PVP players hate it....good sign for PVE casual players.

I do not think this will appeal generally to the hardcore MMO PVP crowd, and I think that bodes well for the feature and the game.

But like I said...lack of gamepad/joystick support I believe is a huge blunder.
It's possible (though I won't hold me breath jes yet mate) that gamepad support may already be there. Speaking from my experiments and (mis)dealings with Logitech during GS beta over their joystick limitations, their gamepads' ministicks can be mapped to mouse axis whereas their joysticks can't. If the reticle being tied to mouse axis flight control is replicated by simply mapping mouselook to a ministick then I don't see why it wouldn't work. Gonna try it out on the PTS.

[EDIT]
For button count purposes, here's what has to be mapped (outside of the mouse axis' base steering / reticle aiming functions) and their default binds:

Combat
Left Mouse Button: Primary weapon
Right Mouse Button: Target lock + Secondary weapon
Right-then-Left Mouse Button Combo: Railgun

Movement
A: Roll left
<Shift>+A: Strafe left
D: Roll right
<Shift>+D: Strafe right
<Shift>+W: Strafe up
<Shift>+S: Strafe down
Z: Hold mouse
<Shift>+Z: Toggle mouse mode

Targeting
<Tab> Target closest enemy
R: Target the enemy firing at you
E: Target the enemy in your sights

Throttle
<Space Bar>: Booster
W: Accelerate
S: Decelerate
X: Toggle (all stop)

Ability Bar
1: System ability
2: Shield ability
3: Engine ability
4: Copilot (companion) ability

Power Management
F1: Shields
F2: Blasters
F3: Engine
F4: Balanced

Camera Positions
F: Free look camera
C: Target camera

That's a lot of stuff.

Thx to KurganNazzir for the assist.
Can we please just have our pre-KotFE SWTOR MMORPG back?

BadOrb
11.14.2013 , 02:52 PM | #24
Well from the 2-3 hours of video footage I have seen then I think using xpadder and my 360 gamepad should be possible. Only problem I might encounter is I would have to re-design my setup from the ground game to GS , but I can handle that at least there is a training mission for me to scream at , while learning , re-calibrating the keybinds and xpadder.

I am hopeful.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Rafaman
11.14.2013 , 03:19 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by BadOrb View Post
Well from the 2-3 hours of video footage I have seen then I think using xpadder and my 360 gamepad should be possible. Only problem I might encounter is I would have to re-design my setup from the ground game to GS , but I can handle that at least there is a training mission for me to scream at , while learning , re-calibrating the keybinds and xpadder.

I am hopeful.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
Actually, I'm thinking it will work as well. In fact, it will work much better than a joystick. We will see on Saturday.

As you know there are a few peeps that are using the 360 controller to play this game as it stands right now. With essentially 2 joysticks, aiming and direction would be non issues.

I don't see no joystick support being a big deal at all.

LordArtemis
11.14.2013 , 03:25 PM | #26
Ok, well, it sounds like some folks are trying it out, so it might be a non-issue which would be good.

If there is some way to map it out for those folks that find it an issue, and someone posts something in the forums with instructions to that effect, if it is a concern that will probably diminish it substantially.

Rafaman
11.14.2013 , 03:34 PM | #27
BadOrb, if you map out a good GS profile for xpadder let us know. Not sure if you are going to be trying to work this out on the PTS this weekend or not, but I plan on giving it a shot.

EDIT: GalacticKegger, I'll be doing the same if I can pull away from work. Are you using xpadder?

Mallorik
11.14.2013 , 03:37 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ingmar View Post
Having played it, the control scheme is such that it seems to me a joystick would work... poorly.
Then grats to bioware for doing what no other free flight game has ever been able to do.

For the people saying keyboard/mouse is better because of aiming, Nearly all the flight games that have a mouse control option aim and fly like that, and a joystick or a gamepad is still better.

It isn't hard to program the controls to use a stick or pad, the only real reason they can have is that they don't want people without sticks or game pads whining about fairness.

KurganNazzir
11.14.2013 , 03:41 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
I
Movement
A: Roll left
D: Roll right
Q: Strafe left
E: Strafe right
<Shift>+W: Strafe up
<Shift>+S: Strafe down
Default for Strafing left and right was Shift+A and Shift+D.

F was free look camera
C was target camera
Shift+Z was toggle mouse mode
Z was hold mouse mode

XavinNydek
11.14.2013 , 03:49 PM | #30
I just can't see it working well with a joystick. Turn rates are relatively slow compared to forward speed, so in most of the ships it would be really easy to outmaneuver them if the reticle was locked to the center of the screen. If the joystick just controlled the reticle similar to the mouse, that could work, but you would end up with the same situation as MWO, where a joystick just isn't designed for that kind of precision. I do think a gamepad would work. It wouldn't be as accurate as a mouse, but if people want to gimp themselves, more kills for me

The bottom line is that it's really fun the way they have it now, and if you are competent enough with a mouse to play an FPS, you are probably competent enough with a mouse to play this.