Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hands-on with SWTOR's Galactic Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Hands-on with SWTOR's Galactic Starfighter

ImpactHound
11.14.2013 , 01:34 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Grand_Nagus View Post
What if he isnt married? Or what if he is...but doesnt have a wife?
It was always my dream to enter marital congress with a gaming journalist.

Vandicus
11.14.2013 , 01:38 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Which is exactly why a joystick option would be needed. It is a natural match with a 3d twitch shooter. Much easier for folks to control and enjoy playing.

I am just putting forth my opinion here, but most keyboard and mouse only 3d twitch shooters, to my knowledge have bombed. Joystick control is a must if you want the feature to have appeal beyond a small group of fanatics.

Just my slant...I think this will prove to have been a mistake they will likely regret. We will see this weekend.
The way GS currently works when aiming and turning is that there is an internal ring for aiming, and an external ring that when you move beyond it causes the ship to turn(you cannot fire outside of the internal ring). Different weapons have different internal rings. Part of turning and maneuvering involves the use of WASD and hotkeys for abilities. With the speed at which everything is moving around, I'd think you'd end up constantly ramming your joystick in opposite directions and be unable to effectively aim while maneuvering, which to me would seem frustrating.

Now I'm no joystick expert, so its easily possible my understanding of their ease of use in such a situation is wrong, so I'm going to go ahead and quote someone who appeared knowledgeable about the subject in the thread on the test forums, as they have probably brought up much better points than I have.

Quote: Originally Posted by Itkovian View Post
The problem is not that a Joystick is a worse controller for flying. It's not, it's an awesome controller.

The problem is that GS, like MWO, is designed using the mouse cursor as a crosshairs, and this means that mouse users can achieved significantly better targeting precision than you can with a joystick or a controller. That's the very reason mouselook is THE preferred control scheme for shooters, after all.

Now, I imagine it's possible some people might actually do better with a joystick/controller, but these people are in a tiny minority. As a simulator enthousiast myself, I have no problme saying that I'm a lot more precise with my mouse in MWO that I ever was with a joystick (and believe me, I tried). In fact, people can always tell when a player is using a joystick when spectating in MWO: the loss in accuracy and precision is glaringly visible.

So long as the game uses the mouse cursor as the crosshairs, instead of a fixed one in the center of the screen like in X-Wing, you'll find that the mouse users will have an inherent advantage in accuracy.

Beyond that, to me it's clear the game itself was designed with mouse targeting in mind. Comparing the maneuverability and speed of movement in GS with how it was in X-Wing shows a significant difference. The leading reticule is so fast that using a mouse's speed and precision is practically required IMO.

Again, though, I'm not saying I hate the idea of joystick support. I'd love it, absolutely love it. But to make it practical would require significant changes with GS as it stands, and to ask it be given a high priority is not taking the current design into account. And with the current game design and its focus on using the mouse cursor as crosshairs, to state that Joysticks or controllers would offer greater control or precision is just plain incorrect.

Thank you.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

AshlaBoga
11.14.2013 , 01:40 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
Maybe, depends on what his wife looks like.
That's dirrrrrrrty
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

ImpactHound
11.14.2013 , 01:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
The way GS currently works when aiming and turning is that there is an internal ring for aiming, and an external ring that when you move beyond it causes the ship to turn(you cannot fire outside of the internal ring). Different weapons have different internal rings. Part of turning and maneuvering involves the use of WASD and hotkeys for abilities. With the speed at which everything is moving around, I'd think you'd end up constantly ramming your joystick in opposite directions and be unable to effectively aim while maneuvering, which to me would seem frustrating.

Now I'm no joystick expert, so its easily possible my understanding of their ease of use in such a situation is wrong, so I'm going to go ahead and quote someone who appeared knowledgeable about the subject in the thread on the test forums, as they have probably brought up much better points than I have.
I would cite for example piloted remote military drones which still use flight sticks.

Mallorik
11.14.2013 , 01:43 PM | #15
No joystick OR game pad? I think its a horrible idea to not have joystick support but I could live with it if there was gamepad support.

Ive probably played every free flight online game and a lot of the offline games out there and ive yet to see one that benefits from a keyboard/mouse over stick or gamepad.

And I suspect the reason they don't have stick or pad support is for "Fairness" , Wish they would take a look at all the other flight games that have fell flat on their faces because they were only controllable with keyboard and mice.

Vandicus
11.14.2013 , 01:45 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
I would cite for example piloted remote military drones which still use flight sticks.
If the drone turned while you were trying to turn the turrets, that would seem like incredibly bad design. Its not an issue with joysticks, its an issue of the game being designed with a mouse in mind.

I've got no objection to them adding it anyways, it just appears to me that the game is designed in such a way that you'd be at a disadvantage with a joystick.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Bilirubin
11.14.2013 , 01:47 PM | #17
As an original Quake player this sounds like it is gonna own
Cyannin Level 70 Shadow | Rubinin Level 51 Gunslinger | Mikuri Level 55 Sentinel | Vertatin Level 60 Commando |
Scartina Level 70 Marauder | Natoo'Lund Level 70 Operative | Lavarendra Level 70 Sorcerer | Gankfunkle Level 52 Powertech

ImpactHound
11.14.2013 , 01:56 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
If the drone turned while you were trying to turn the turrets, that would seem like incredibly bad design. Its not an issue with joysticks, its an issue of the game being designed with a mouse in mind.

I've got no objection to them adding it anyways, it just appears to me that the game is designed in such a way that you'd be at a disadvantage with a joystick.
They have seperate controls for steering the craft and aiming a targeting reticle(camera/weapon or both)

Ingmar
11.14.2013 , 02:00 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
No joystick OR game pad? I think its a horrible idea to not have joystick support but I could live with it if there was gamepad support.

Ive probably played every free flight online game and a lot of the offline games out there and ive yet to see one that benefits from a keyboard/mouse over stick or gamepad.

And I suspect the reason they don't have stick or pad support is for "Fairness" , Wish they would take a look at all the other flight games that have fell flat on their faces because they were only controllable with keyboard and mice.
Having played it, the control scheme is such that it seems to me a joystick would work... poorly.

LordArtemis
11.14.2013 , 02:04 PM | #20
Ah. With mouse aiming it is very difficult to use a gamepad. That is a mistake in design IMO.

We will see if folks like it. I certainly hope they do...if mouse aiming turns out to be more enjoyable and easy to pick up instead of a fixed reticule than so be it...and that would be great.

But I suspect that is not the case, and if they did design it with a mouse aim and folks find that too complicated it will turn out to a be a huge design flaw IMO.

I hope I am wrong.