Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hardmodes across the board are just too difficult

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Hardmodes across the board are just too difficult

Fidelicatessen
11.13.2013 , 08:35 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Blight View Post
They are just too punishing unless you overgear the hell out of them and I'm sick of things being designed that way.
No, it's somewhat challenging to do them with on-level gear. You just have to actually pay attention to the mechanics. Please don't make this game any easier than it already is.

psandak
11.13.2013 , 08:46 PM | #12
The CZ HM FPs are not hard at all, so long as those who participate know what to do and when to do it. I ran HM Meltdown two days ago with me tanking and a DPS veteran and two newbies and the run was CAKE. Why? Because the DPS vet and I gave good instructions and the newbies actually paid attention.

Same thing goes for HM Operations. The first few weeks of HM DF my Ops group struggled on Corruptor but we usually took him down, then the bug happened and we did not bother for two weeks. Instead we geared up by doing what we could in HM DF and made excellent progress in HM DP (three bosses are now easymode, struggling on Raptus). And after the patch we cleared HM DF for the first time: took us three attempts to take down Corruptor and we made steady progress on Bestia until the last attempt of the night we killed her.

Sorry but HMs are not meant to be /faceroll. With appropriate gear they should be challenging but doable with good execution. Fail to execute strategies and you will die horribly

KeyboardNinja
11.14.2013 , 12:06 AM | #13
The HM ops are really more about mechanics than gear. We've taken people in there in 69/72 mix gear and done just fine. It's really just about knowing how to handle the mechanics as they arise and being coordinated with everyone else. Seeing as the instances were designed for 72 and 75 gear, I don't think anyone is yet disgustingly overgeared for the content, and yet most guilds that got first and second week clears are now farming both instances in a single night.

The fights are challenging, but only because your group hasn't figured out exactly what needs to be done yet. Don't feel bad; we've all been there. I can tell you straight up that it's not a gear thing though. If you have full 72s, you're geared enough for both instances.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

slafko
11.14.2013 , 01:59 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by VigDiath View Post
I was able to tank Czerka successfully on my Shadow, Guardian and PT when they first came out. I was sitting around 30k to 34k health around that time.
I tanked them with my shadow and my vanguard; both at 27k-ish health and in 61/63 gear. The flashpoints are pretty easy once you get to know the mechanics of fights. They're even easier if you adhere to the old "don't stand in red circles" wisdom.

recsa
11.14.2013 , 06:10 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Blight View Post
No I really feel that way

If I were trolling I'd have come up with something better
Then i'm gonna take the bait, one of my main concerns is about this game PvE content being wayyy too easy, its too easy to gear up, too easy to beat content at their recommended gear level, theres no challenge at all, only NiM modes are challenging and still the time to master and beat is nothig epic. But Devs keep nerfing FPs and OPs in a regular basis to the point runing them in HM is rollface.

If you are experiencing any kind of difficulty while runing HMs and you are geared at its recomended gear level i would suggest:

1) Make sure its not a PEBKAC issue (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), forums can help with that.

2) Make sure you leave brainless PUGs asap, i have found runing HM FPs with a friend and 2 companions is way more fun and productive than runing wih tanks that doesnt even know they have a taunt ability, healers that run out of force/energy on trash pulls, DPSs that spam autoattack and such
A long time from now, in a galaxy far, far away, fanbois will realize they hurt games they love in a way no troll could ever dream of.

Marb
11.14.2013 , 07:03 AM | #16
Maybe it's an issue with terminology. It's hard to criticize hard-modes for being hard, when their name would suggest that, that is the intent. In progression terms, "Hard" really means "Normal", so in that sense, maybe some encounters are a little out of whack with the general difficulty curve. For example, I wouldn't say the new flashpoints are "Hard", but in comparison to the other flashpoints in the hardmode bracket, they are a little harder.
Harbinger

NumpTFlump
11.14.2013 , 07:08 AM | #17
I love the way 8 man HM/Nim ops work, less people there to pick up your slack and weeds out the good players from the ok players. 16 man is boring and complete over kill. When i see a guild ranting and raving about clearing everything on 16 man and all patting themselves on the back i sit there and think i wonder how many of you would fail on an 8 man HM. Long live 8 mans i hope they never change!

as for the flash points i have no comments they are easy enough as it is.
Numptyflomp - Op heals
Guild - <Visions>
The Red Eclipse
http://torvision.enjin.com/

SleepyKing
11.14.2013 , 07:09 AM | #18
I actually think the level of difficulty is pretty good right now. Without question, though, some of the DF/DP HM bosses could use some dialling in when it comes to difficulty: some elements are super easy, some are over-hard.

For example, the DPS check on Nefra is comically easy, but the heal check can be difficult (and can be quite dependent on the group composition). It's similar for Corrupter Zero, Brontes, Tyrans and the Dread Council. Meanwhile, Bestia is a DPS check and Draxus is a co-ordination check, but relatively easy to heal if the dps and tanks do their jobs well. Overall, I'd say these operations are by and large a healer check, and groups without very good healers might struggle. (As an aside, I do think that the ops favor scoundrel/operative healers by a considerable margin, while sages and especially troopers can often struggle with energy management given the sustained healing requirements and the common need for spread group formations).

Ultimately, though, it comes down to the perennial problem with hard and nightmare mode raids: you need to be able to find eight good players. The law of averages says that any given group of eight is likely to contain one or more below-par players. So what does Bioware do? Take this into account and make HM raids completable by groups of mostly good players but where not all members are carrying their weight? That will make the hard modes faceroll easy for groups who aren't carrying weaker players and cause them to lose interest in the game. Or do you ensure that only groups full of good players can complete the content, thus causing HM raids to be nigh-impossible for pugs and "everybody gets a turn" social guilds? I actually don't know. My general preference is for the latter, but I'm fortunate enough to be part of a solid raid group. Maybe a tier between story and hard mode would work, but I can't see BioWare implementing that anytime soon.

feketebirka
11.14.2013 , 08:07 AM | #19
There are no hard mode flashpoints, just ignorant and impatient groupies.

Never_Hesitate
11.14.2013 , 08:13 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by feketebirka View Post
There are no hard mode flashpoints, just ignorant and impatient groupies.
there are hard mode flashpoints but they aren't really hard to do
T3-M4 - Lvl 60 Chars:
LeoniŽ&Caipha PT, Eleondra&Eleondraa Op
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper
Hannahla Merc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa