Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should all chars run Slicing for about 10 levels?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Should all chars run Slicing for about 10 levels?

JnEricsonx
12.21.2011 , 11:14 PM | #1
From 10-20, while still using their gathering skills, then switch to their crafting one and start from there, that way you have some extra money?

Volki
12.21.2011 , 11:42 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
From 10-20, while still using their gathering skills, then switch to their crafting one and start from there, that way you have some extra money?
Do it for longer to make significant money. Do it to 50, make a ton of money, then do it some more. When you have millions for crafting switch, lol.

Or make a "diplomacy" alt and send him money to run diplomacy/underworld missions for materials.

rylixav
12.21.2011 , 11:47 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Volki View Post
Do it for longer to make significant money. Do it to 50, make a ton of money, then do it some more. When you have millions for crafting switch, lol.

Or make a "diplomacy" alt and send him money to run diplomacy/underworld missions for materials.
Use slicing the whole time you're leveling up. You take the one companion that you actually need with you while you quest, and you send all the others on lockbox missions. It's a steady stream of credits, you make profit all the way up to 400 slicing, and it takes virtually no effort.

JnEricsonx
12.22.2011 , 07:52 PM | #4
I'm just concerned that it's going to be a pain making money for stuff, etc. I mean, one char of mine has about 18k at level 18, and somehow in 7 levels from then I'm going to have to come up with another 40+ or more so I can get my speeder? OUCH.

Benk
12.22.2011 , 08:17 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
I'm just concerned that it's going to be a pain making money for stuff, etc. I mean, one char of mine has about 18k at level 18, and somehow in 7 levels from then I'm going to have to come up with another 40+ or more so I can get my speeder? OUCH.
I had enough credits to upgrade my inventory, upgrade my cargo hold, buy class skills, and STILL had enough to get my piloting skill/speeder. WITHOUT slicing.

JnEricsonx
12.22.2011 , 08:32 PM | #6
Seriously, I'm willing to listen to all wisdom.

whomad
12.22.2011 , 08:37 PM | #7
Slicing is overpowered as far as money goes, but you need to be online playing all the time to truly benefit from it. It's the best money wise, but another profession you can sell things for absurd amounts because people have so much extra cash from slicing.
Normal might hilt 9 for 3k? sure why not, 2k makes me 5 of em.

Norril
12.22.2011 , 08:51 PM | #8
I took slice right from the start, just to bulk up on credits. Lvl 16 now and just with one companion, I have done 2 storage upgrades (25k creds), bought a ton of missions and schematics, plus have 80k left over. However.... I did spend plenty of time in the day, while at work, running slice missions, while mostly afk. I would expect most to make way less by the same level, unless you can slice while at work like me

I took all the gather skills to start, mainly because I don't know what I want to be as a crafter yet. Needed to get some serious game time in first, then decide. So, why not just earn and gather, until I figure out what I want to be?

For those that think Slice is over powered, I disagree. Yes, it gives instant cash, but I have been looking at the GTN and believe you can make as much as slicing, if you learn how to effectively price your goods from other crew skills. Slice is just instant credit results, vs waiting a day or 3 for results. I frequently run slice missions for augments now, since at higher levels, the augs sell for much more.

Slice = 320 fyi. So glad SWTOR doesn't cap craft skills like other games do. Why should I have to be level 50 in combat to make a level 50 item? That always seemed silly to me in Wow.
Get in muh belly!

Skodan
12.22.2011 , 10:15 PM | #9
i was broke, absolutely broke at 24 from sending companions out on crafting missions, however the quests give a lot more credits and i had a lot more than 40k at 25, so in just 1 level you will be able to afford it
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Osierys
12.22.2011 , 10:26 PM | #10
I wasn't gonna say anything, but this slicing thing is everywhere.

Take a craft skill, a mission skill, and slicing.

Slicing will cover the costs for buying the gathering materials from actual gathers. Don't take a gathering skill and slicing because slicing will never cover the costs for buying mission skill items.

One day there wont be enough gathers and you can make credits selling mats to slicers.

Mission skill items can be sold slicers who think they are making lots of credits.

Not recommended for biochems - just gather and mission skill. mats are not plentiful for bioanalysis for some reason, probably because of the very low income before 150 skill (I try to sell medpacs for 65 credits each and they still don't sell. same for stims. forget selling blue medpacs. u shoot urself in the foot selling blue/purple stims, not better stats, just prevents buyer from buying more.)