Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Willpower stat mistakes...?

EmperorsSin
11.12.2013 , 11:21 AM | #1
I am fairly new to Sorcerers compared to a lot of you and I was hoping someone could help me out. Looking at my stats the other day I realized that my willpower was not buffing my melee damage. On my Assassin willpower affects my melee damage appropriately but on the Sorc it does not. Granted the saber is mostly a glow stick better at lighting a path than doing any damage but with a willpower buff it may actually become viable. Is this omission intentional? Am I just missing something or is this just a mistake that has escaped the notice of the developers?

Tegual
11.12.2013 , 11:30 AM | #2
Since as a sorcerer you are a ranged DPS who should NEVER be using melee attack after you choose the Sorcerer advanced class it makes no difference. In fact it is much better that way as if people read it and realise they are not meant to use melee attack it is even better.

I also believe it is designed that way as the advanced class gives the bonus not the base class.
"Raise your hand if you thought of something naughty!"

EmperorsSin
11.12.2013 , 07:25 PM | #3
We're not supposed to use melee because it is worthless but is it not worthless because it is not bolstered by our willpower stat? Correct me if I am wrong but does not every other class get two type of stats bolstered by their main stat. Assassin's get melee damage and force power boosted by willpower, Maras and Juggs get melee and force power bolstered by strength. Mercs and Powertechs get ranged and tech damage bolstered by aim and Ops and Snipers get the same bolster from cunning. Why are Sorcs the only one with out the dual bolster?

Tegual
11.12.2013 , 11:26 PM | #4
Sorcs have what 2 attacks thrash and the standard saber attack and thats it. Nothing else is considered a Melee ability for a sorc. They are designed to be a pure Caster and therefor do not need the boost to melee. The difference with other classes is that Juggs and Mara half of there abilities are considered Melee and half are force based. Same can be said with snipers.

Sorcerer is the only class with any real melee ability and does not need any. Before 2.0 a small arguement could be made because there was 1 or 2 extra filler melee abilities but now they don't exist and almost all sorcerers remove both the melee strikes from their task bars since you are playing a ranged caster and have no real ability to melee.

And while a hate comparisons this is exactly like the Hunters in World of Warcraft. They had melee abilities and people thought that they were more useful than they were. Like the Sorc they are there for the early levels when you have barely any abilities and thats it after level 15 to 20 there is never any reason to use then again. In World of Warcraft they took out almost all of the Hunter melee abilities and it made it so people learnt that they had to kite and kill monsters from range (since at the time they still had the 5 meter no shooting zone) and it improved them. Personally i would like it if when choosing a sorcerer they replaced the melee skills with a force based ranged ability that way people would learn from level 10 that they don't ever need to go into melee.

Sorcerers all get a decent force management tool in consumption and if in lightning spec you really shouldn't need to regen force. Also Sorcerers are very squishy and being hit by mobs esp in Hard Mode Flashpoints and Operations means death very quickly. So being far away is an advantage.

Sorcerers are in a very weird spot from level 1 to 10 because they are a mix of both ranged and melee and when they choose their advanced class they then choose either melee or ranged, unlike most other classes in the game except the bounty hunter powertech/mercenary but a lot of abilities can be used for 30 meters so it doesn't make a difference.
"Raise your hand if you thought of something naughty!"

EmperorsSin
11.13.2013 , 08:38 AM | #5
I agree completely with trading away our melee for a ranged "basic" attack. I think that would make all the difference. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.