Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help deciding first class to get to 55

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Help deciding first class to get to 55

Coopah
11.08.2013 , 03:13 PM | #1
I am thinking of Powertech, Merc or Marauder. Operative is on the outside but i feel like it doesnt have the damage i am looking for. As you can see from the choices i like the heavy armor options. I just want to see everyones opinion to help gauge my own. I've seen plently of posts saying pick your preference but i really just want to see what others think about their classes and which may be the "easiest" to get to 55 while still being viable pvp dps in the end. Specs, guides anything with extra info would be cool. I will most likely be pvping at endgame and for some/most of my leveling

EDIT: A friend of mine is leveling a Jugg so i may be with him a lot so if any of these works better with a jugg throw it out there.

ELRunninW
11.08.2013 , 03:29 PM | #2
I have picked a tank based on the information I have found in forums. It was a good choice in my opinion as I have never had a problem finding a group which is important when you are starting to learn how to play. My reason for this is that people are more forgiving toward a tank than dps and eventually you will learn how to play your class.

There are many choices to consider, if you will play with your friend, who is already a tank then it will not matter much what you chose. if you want to start on the same planet then select Sith Inquisitor, you may then chose Sorcerer or Assassin.

Kurzaa
11.08.2013 , 03:34 PM | #3
Level what you think you will enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you aren't going to hit 55 and even if you do, you won't be playing for long. Beyond that, I lack the class experience and especially the PvP experience to provide any useful insight.

However, from your list it is my understanding that Marauders are the top dps in ops right now and overpowered (except against gunslingers/snipers) in PvP. So I am going to lean with Marauder as the best choice.

I would recommend leveling an operative first however, as the story is pretty good if you like "spy" novels.

As powertech is a tanking AC, I am assuming its dps is lacking (no offense BHs), though I went with merc myself. It might make for a good healer / dps hybrid in PvP, but I try to avoid PvP.

Kaos_KidSWTOR
11.08.2013 , 03:42 PM | #4
In PvP, Marauders (Rage and Carnage Spec), Snipers (Any Spec) Assasins (Tank or Deception Spec), Juggernauts ( Any Spec) and Sorcs (Madness and Lightning Specs) Are all viable choices. Marauders and Snipers can deal out some of the highest damage in the game, and have some party based buffs to boot! Sin's have Stealth, and REALLY good opening burst, though their burst after their opener is alot lower than other classes. Juggernauts sacrifice some DPS for more survivability, though i have seen some Juggs that can pull some sick numbers on Smash and Ravage. Sorcs are pretty good at DPS and when 2.5 hits will become big contenders if you play Madness, because their DoT's will become un-cleanseable.

Coopah
11.08.2013 , 04:08 PM | #5
i regret putting this in the New player section

KittyCheshire
11.08.2013 , 05:47 PM | #6
If PvP is your main goal I wouldn't weight in your friends Juggernaut in your choices too much tbh. Unlike PvE you won't hinder eachother by fulfilling the same role, not in queue times and not (much) in effectiveness. Note: The following is how I perceive the classes with some good and some bad points, aka it's an opinion. I likely missed a bunch, but I'm only human.

Powertech:
+ Quite difficult to shut down (meaning: not range dependant for survivability and has enough tools to stay on it's target and not prone to interrupts, stuns will be stuns though.)
+ Hybrid only: Quite high DPS whilst being bulky enough to Guard (mixes great with the Operative healer)
+ Good AoE in either DPS-spec (not quite Smash though )
+ Taunts
+ AoE Stun (short but doesn't break on damage)
- Prone to cleanse in Pyrotech
- Long build-up / predictable in Advanced Prototype

Maurauder:
+ Rage: High Burst Damage that's an AoE aswell
+ Good defensive cooldowns (and a lot of them)
+ Teambuffs / AoE-stun for some teamplay moments (Best as Carnage)
+ Rage: 2 leaps for great movement, one works on cover. Carnage movement is decent.
- Annihilation: Cleanseable (for now)
- Carnage: Countered pretty damn hard by a good stun
- Rage: Being called a smashmoney and hitting great DPS-numbers without feeling you deserved them (this might just be me)
- Squishy early on, due to Cloak of Pain and Saber Ward I personally disagree with this, but it's been a dealbreaker for quite a lot of people.

Mercanary:
+ Range
+ Incredible Burst (likely highest from all rDPS)
+ Electronet is amazing
- Can be very tough to play vs the right foes
- More difficult to play the smaller the maps (read: Arena's)

Operative (DPS)
+ Great 1 v 1 killing potential (if you're the one engaging the fight, you will most likely win it.)
+ Stealthcap that's almost fool-proof (Sleep Dart > Cap (enemy will use stunbreak or you cap) > Flashbang or Cloak > Sleep Dart > Cap.
- Prone to slows due to little mobility (what you do have is expensive)
- Tight on energy
- Prone to cleanse
- Needs stealth a lot more than any other class, in Arena's this is a huge problem
- People will be sad you're not healing.
I love playing Operative DPS, just for the fun of it, but I, in no way, think they're really a good class. They're squishy (for melee) and horribly easy to counter. They're possibly the best in a 1 v 1 situation of their liking, but that's it. Amazing healers though, but you want DPS, no?

I'd recommend posting your question on the PvP forums for more and better opinions and insights. 75% of the posts will most likely be trolls, but there will be helpful posts. If I simply wanted a plain amazing DPS and I had all 8 classes to pick from and the users would be equally skilled, I'd pick the Maurauder (Rage) or if I want a bit of a DPS mixed with support (Guard mainly) I'd pick the Powertech (or as full tank, but once again, you want to DPS, no?)