Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

''Lol Pandas''...(and the hubris of the commnitty)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
''Lol Pandas''...(and the hubris of the commnitty)

TUXs
11.07.2013 , 01:40 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ralphieceaser View Post
THEY MADE BIG SEXY PANDAS!!!!!

unlike this dumb game were all the races can be described as
Human
human with horns(zabrak)
human with tentacles(sith)
blue human(chiss)
emo human(ratataki)
blind human
green human
human with slight fur
Humans with implants...don't forget those cyborgs!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

ThiborF
11.07.2013 , 01:42 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Angedechu View Post
TOR was launched shortly after the announcement of the ''Lol Pandas'' expansion (1). At this time, the forums were sure that TOR would utterly destroy WOW.

Yet, the other game announced yesterday to still have 7.6 millions subs (stabilized from last report), without any ''trick'' like the Annual Pass, and they are on the verge to announce (likely tomorrow) Expansion V (which will be way more impressive than Hutt Cartel or Starfighter...)

What we did wrong, and what Blizzard did good ?

(1)The point being that the ''Pandas'' were widely ridiculed, and yet, at the end of the expansion, WOW still have between three and four times more sub than TOR at it's prime.
Considering Blizzard boasted around 12m subs for WoW at one point, to slide to 7.6m is roughly a 37% slippage. In April-June of 2013 they lost 600,000 subs.
http://www.maximumpc.com/world_warcr...n_players_2013
If TOR lost that amount in three months it most likely would be closed.

Your post seems to be targeted at the "haters" ie. not game industry analysts, not former developers or project leads, not insiders in the industry, just the common folk whose opinions vary as greatly as the types of fish in the ocean. Reading someone posting, "This game sucks and will die in 6 months" or "This is expansion is stupid and will kill this game in 3 months" yada yada yada is akin to reading a movie review in your local rag paper claiming, usually in overly pretentious tones, that the film is a waste of time while seemingly strangely enough, you go and have a wonderful time watching it.

Or in short, the only thing your post amounts to is an "I told you" statement. So umm, you feeling better now that you got it out of your system?

AlienEyeTX
11.07.2013 , 01:43 PM | #23
While TOR, whose launch was very soon after the Pandas announcement crashed and burned.
It's nice of people to keep pointing out how this game utterly failed and has shut down. I forget that every time I log in to play. I forget that when queues pop over and over again. I forget that when new content gets released. I forget that... you get my point.

Why bother comparing this to another game? They are different. Play the one you like.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

OddballEasyEight
11.07.2013 , 01:48 PM | #24
Why does WoW still have so many players?
Simple, becaus ALOT of people have invested years of time and effort into the game and it will usually take massive efforts to stop playing permanently.
You have to understand that before you can start throwing numbers around and asking what TOR did wrong.

As for the "massive" drop of subs after launch, this happens to every modern MMO.
People are looking for something new to play and usually they are doing it under the paradoxical idea that they want something that is not like WoW, but then when they try it and find out that feature X or Y from WoW isn't in the game it is suddenly a failure and they leave in droves.
Everyone expects a new game to have everything that WoW has added for the last 10 years at launch. They don't have the patence to wait for anything.

This is why TOR lost so many subscribers.
They either hated it because it was too similar to WoW or it wasn't similar enough. Those were, by far, the most common complaints I heard after launch.
And then sprinkle in a few "this isn't star wars, there are no clone troopers and the jedi look wierd" people who came here looking for a game set in ep: I-VI and the people who came here from SWG looking for a clone of SWG.
Apparantly I have multiple accounts. And apparantly I argue with myself on those accounts.
http://www.swtor.com/r/6S24xq free stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-...roj4L9Q/videos my blaster sound videos.

JimG
11.07.2013 , 01:52 PM | #25
TOR was launched shortly after the announcement of the ''Lol Pandas'' expansion (1). At this time, the forums were sure that TOR would utterly destroy WOW.

Yet, the other game announced yesterday to still have 7.6 millions subs (stabilized from last report), without any ''trick'' like the Annual Pass, and they are on the verge to announce (likely tomorrow) Expansion V (which will be way more impressive than Hutt Cartel or Starfighter...)

What we did wrong, and what Blizzard did good ?

(1)The point being that the ''Pandas'' were widely ridiculed, and yet, at the end of the expansion, WOW still have between three and four times more sub than TOR at it's prime.
First of all, where do you get this statement that the forums were sure that TOR would utterly destroy WOW? That's a general, baseless statement. I'm sure some people said that....just like some people said Diablo 3 or Guild Wars would be the end of this game. But, certainly the majority of people in the forums weren't saying that and no one with any common sense thought that this game would put WOW out of business.

In March of 2011, WOW had 11.4 million subs. If WOW is now down to 7.6 million subs, then they've lost 1/3 of their subs in that time. If you think Blizzard is happy with that or patting themselves on the back over that, then I have some swamp land in Florida for sale that might interest you.

AshlaBoga
11.07.2013 , 02:02 PM | #26
The point being that the ''Lol Pandas''-that were widely derided as ''that will kill WOW'' have not prevented WOW to still have 7.6 millions sub (including asian ones, yes, I know) at the end of the expansion cycle While TOR, whose launch was very soon after the Pandas announcement crashed and burned.

So, obviously, Blizzard did something better than Bioware.
It's a sunk time thing. People have invested years of their lives in to WoW. Why would they leave WoW for a reskin (as much as I LOVE SWTOR, take away the Voice Acting and Star Wars and it's just WoW in space)?

The only thing that could have beaten WoW was a completely different game, not a WoW with better graphics, the SW IP and voice acting.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Angedechu
11.07.2013 , 02:06 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
First of all, where do you get this statement that the forums were sure that TOR would utterly destroy WOW? That's a general, baseless statement. I'm sure some people said that....just like some people said Diablo 3 or Guild Wars would be the end of this game. But, certainly the majority of people in the forums weren't saying that and no one with any common sense thought that this game would put WOW out of business.

In March of 2011, WOW had 11.4 million subs. If WOW is now down to 7.6 million subs, then they've lost 1/3 of their subs in that time. If you think Blizzard is happy with that or patting themselves on the back over that, then I have some swamp land in Florida for sale that might interest you.
Well, losing a third of the subs over two years (and in 2011, WOW was seven years old) is a far better performance than losing 75% of the subs over six months (from a game not even a year old)

Mazikeen
11.07.2013 , 02:15 PM | #28
WoW was an anomaly. The sooner people get that through their heads, the better. You CANNOT base the success/failure of a MMO off of WoW's numbers.

WoW was released during a void in the 3D MMO community. At the time, EQ1 was the only major 3D MMO (UO was not 3D, only 2D with an overlay) and had been out about 5 years before WoW released. EQ2 was slated for release right after WoW, but a lot of EQ1 players were angry that they could not port their characters.

On top of this, at the time WoW was released, gaming in general was still considered 'nerd territory' or 'bachelor's territory'. Gaming was in no way mainstream outside those two subsets. Between WoW's ease of use (aka 'facerolling') and things like the Wii, gaming has become more and more accepted in general.

And WoW's facerolling was a large factor, coupled with it's coloring. Before WoW MMO gaming required some kind of skill, and there was an actual community of members who kept each other in check. Outcasts played with outcasts. WoW made gaming easier and acting like a tool acceptable, which drew in more players.

Now that other MMOs are following suit, there will not be a void in the genre again for at least another decade, if ever. On top of that, some players are still with WoW either because other MMOs don't go far enough to be different, are different enough to require thought (a difficult thing for some to manage) or simply because they don't want to give up a character they 'worked' on for years.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

mithrelkhaar
11.07.2013 , 02:19 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
It's a sunk time thing. People have invested years of their lives in to WoW. Why would they leave WoW for a reskin (as much as I LOVE SWTOR, take away the Voice Acting and Star Wars and it's just WoW in space)?

The only thing that could have beaten WoW was a completely different game, not a WoW with better graphics, the SW IP and voice acting.
For this statement to be true, WoW had to have invented the style of MMO this game is based off of....sadly what the majority of people who say this fail to realize....is that WOW DIDNT INVENT THIS STYLE OF MMO, they copied it from MMOs that were successful in the past.

Mazikeen
11.07.2013 , 02:21 PM | #30
As an aside, I don't expect it to 'beat' WoW or be a 'WoW-killer' but if Everquest Next comes off as planned it will be different enough to sucker punch the entire genre.

* True, self-adjusting AI (check out Storybricks)
* Dynamic world, including destroyable environment, public quests that have permanent effects on the server and NPCs that not only roam but have their own storylines and conversations (with other NPCs)
* Player-generated content, not only with cash shop items (which you can make RL money selling) but also the world itself (for items vetted by SoE).
* Lack of player levels, replaced by multiple progression lines

A full 50% of the future of EQN will be placed in the hands of players. On top of that, with the public quests and dynamic world, 2 different servers will actually be DIFFERENT. Cities, bosses and NPCs will be different, some not existing at all and some having 'evolved' beyond the other.

If it comes off as planned.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds