Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

''Lol Pandas''...(and the hubris of the commnitty)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
''Lol Pandas''...(and the hubris of the commnitty)

HammersteinSW
11.11.2013 , 08:27 AM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Casual-friendly, theme-park MMOs are not only not out of fashion, they are the present and future of any MMO which hopes to attain mass-market appeal. EVE (and whatever "hardcore" sand box game replaces it) will probably always have a niche, but nothing more. Those days are gone.
You are so wrong that I don't even know where to start:

Recent theme parks mmos:

Rift - theme park mmo, good game, lost a huge numbers of subs, had to go f2p and they laid off some staff.
The Secret World - theme park mmo, some really great quests....f2p within 6 months and now on the backburner
TERA - saved by going f2p and is doing ok thanks to it's unique action combat system

EVE Online - rising subscriber numbers since years...

chuixupu
11.11.2013 , 01:25 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by HammersteinSW View Post
EVE Online - rising subscriber numbers since years...
The thing you have to remember about EVE is that 1) like WoW, they opened the game up in the Asian markets, that's where the biggest boost came from, and 2) because of the way PLEX works, it encourages people to create multiple subscriptions. The average "casual" EVE player I know has at least 5 accounts.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

ImpactHound
11.11.2013 , 03:23 PM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
The thing you have to remember about EVE is that 1) like WoW, they opened the game up in the Asian markets, that's where the biggest boost came from, and 2) because of the way PLEX works, it encourages people to create multiple subscriptions. The average "casual" EVE player I know has at least 5 accounts.
I would attribute it to their skill system and shortcutting around to useful gathering, etc. also.