Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crew Members should include their specialty in the description.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crew Members should include their specialty in the description.

Zeth_Kaeden
11.06.2013 , 10:51 PM | #1
To spare the need to get a skill for your crew member, only to find out he/she/it gets benefits from other crafting skills, it should be noted in their 'Characters of Note' section, just like their 'likes/dislikes', attribute specialties and weapons.

This would also allow people to decide which ones to pick for their crew member more on the fly/in-game, rather than having to scour the forums for what their crew members excel in their skill set.

Darcmoon
11.06.2013 , 11:01 PM | #2
While I will agree that it would be nice to have that info in the codex entry for the person, most people choose their crafting skills when they get to the fleet from the starting planet. Most of them only have the initial companion at that point so they won't know what future companions get and would still have to scour the internet (or just go to a site like Torhead and look at the companion list there).
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Zeth_Kaeden
11.07.2013 , 07:21 AM | #3
Being able to look up what the bonuses (primary and secondary) to the companion crew skills is as useful as their likes/dislikes, weapons and attributes. Rather than having to get a skill first to find out what the companion's specialties are, it should be available to see before picking a skill for them.

And yes, being able to keep track on which Companion is better suited for which skill is just as important down the line as it is on the first choice.

psandak
11.07.2013 , 11:49 AM | #4
I want to make sure I understand. What you want is when a character reaches level 10 and goes to the crew skill trainers you want to be shown what each companion's skill bonuses are so you can pick the best crew skills for that character?

Why not just go to http://www.swtor-spy.com/companions/ ?

Here is something you may not be taking into account: the story. By having the game specify who/what your companions are going to be and what they are good at long before you get them, spoils the story. You may not care, but there are a lot of players who do, myself included. By having that information on the web, it is readily available yet does not spoil the story for those who care about such things.
Probability 101
The Harbinger, Ortzid Legacy
Dalkery - Sawbones, Car'beerd - Jedi Guardian,
Blairnah - Jedi Sage, Ulunnes - Commando

Zeth_Kaeden
11.07.2013 , 04:56 PM | #5
Got my second Companion, and the ship, and I found out that between the two of them and the protocol droid that comes with the ship that they all have the same skills that was selected at the beginning.

Would have been nice to know about that from the start.

Is the limiting of up to three skills a means to make people have to engage in trading to get missing components they can not make themselves (synthweaving, for example has three suggested auxillary skills, but you are limited to only two others at the same time)

Zeth_Kaeden
11.07.2013 , 05:01 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I want to make sure I understand. What you want is when a character reaches level 10 and goes to the crew skill trainers you want to be shown what each companion's skill bonuses are so you can pick the best crew skills for that character?

Why not just go to http://www.swtor-spy.com/companions/ ?

Here is something you may not be taking into account: the story. By having the game specify who/what your companions are going to be and what they are good at long before you get them, spoils the story. You may not care, but there are a lot of players who do, myself included. By having that information on the web, it is readily available yet does not spoil the story for those who care about such things.
As the character levels up, they get to have the bio of their companions. There is no spoilers involved if what bonuses they provide in crafting are shown along with primary and secondary weapons, attributes or what they like or dislike.

What it would do is inform the player so they can make choices as the game progresses what sort of crew skills they need, esp. when there is only a three skill limit.

Kurzaa
11.08.2013 , 08:18 AM | #7
The skills you select at lvl 10 might not be the skills you need at 50, fortunately, you can always drop and re-level crew skills. So at level 10, pick what appeals to you, likely gathering skills will be the most useful while running missions. On the other hand, Mission skills like Diplomacy or Investigation might be better if you level in Warzones or Flashpoints.

The only crew skills that will "cost" you credits while leveling are the crafting skills. You have to use up valuable materials in order to crafting items for skill-ups. You then will need to spend credits to learn new schematics. Everything else can be dropped without you loosing anything other than your companions time.

So when you start the game, if you decide to be a synthweaver on your trooper, there is nothing wrong with that, your companions simply won't excel at the necessary crew skills. And if you want to maximize what your character can craft, you can easily Google the answers and research future companions, no need to announce all of your future companions in the game.

psandak
11.09.2013 , 04:51 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zeth_Kaeden View Post
As the character levels up, they get to have the bio of their companions. There is no spoilers involved if what bonuses they provide in crafting are shown along with primary and secondary weapons, attributes or what they like or dislike.

What it would do is inform the player so they can make choices as the game progresses what sort of crew skills they need, esp. when there is only a three skill limit.
I'm still confused. When you get a new companion all you have to do is press the N key to open the companion window and then click a crew skill using that companion and you will see what that companion is good at in the mission or crafting window (right at the bottom): one key press and one click of the mouse - OMG that is SOOOO hard .
Probability 101
The Harbinger, Ortzid Legacy
Dalkery - Sawbones, Car'beerd - Jedi Guardian,
Blairnah - Jedi Sage, Ulunnes - Commando