Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there a point to crew missions taking SO. DAMN. LONG. to finish?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Is there a point to crew missions taking SO. DAMN. LONG. to finish?

starmanmmo
11.06.2013 , 09:57 PM | #1
I've come back to the game after an extended break. I remembered one of the reasons why I left - crew skill mission times. Why in the world do they take so long? If you only have a few hours to play, you can only do a few per night, even if you send out more than one. It's counter-productive and frustrating to try and level your skills when most of your time is waiting for your crew to come back.

Arcadius-Fett
11.07.2013 , 10:19 AM | #2
I believe it's to avoid the market being flooded even more so.

Kurzaa
11.07.2013 , 10:22 AM | #3
Honestly, I don't think it is that bad of a situation. You have extra companions you aren't using and you rarely get to use your primary companion in warzones and flashpoints. So far I have easily been able to cap a number of skills, some even to 450, with just three companions available at lvl 25.

If anything, I actually have the opposite issue. The low level crafting times are too short. Dealing with companions every two and half minutes in a flash point is aggravating. At least I discovered you can queue up multiple crafts at one time, extending the time between dealing with companions.

Kurzaa
11.07.2013 , 10:25 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Arcadius-Fett View Post
I believe it's to avoid the market being flooded even more so.
There is this also. If not for the long crafting times, you would likely be subjected to a 24-hour cooldown to craft profitable items, which is a much worse solution.

Maestrodomus
11.07.2013 , 11:05 AM | #5
Keeps a slight control on supplies and a steadier market.
Dark Fury [Canderous Ordo]

psandak
11.07.2013 , 11:34 AM | #6
Let me ask you this: would you rather have to take the time yourself? Many MMOs make you go out into the world on your own and find materials and then you had to sit around clicking a button to craft stuff from those materials (sometimes at specific locations; AKA crafting stations). Granted the crafting process in those games only takes 5-30 seconds, but you are unable to do anything else; gathering is the time sink.

With your crew doing all the gathering and crafting for you, you have time to enjoy other aspects of the game. If all you enjoy is crafting this game might not be for you.

redfurry
11.07.2013 , 11:35 AM | #7
You do know that you cand send out your companions at the end of your play session, go offline, and they keep working and will have finished when you log back on. That, IMHO, is awesome enough to compensate for the long craft / mission times.

wainot-keel
11.07.2013 , 11:49 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by starmanmmo View Post
I've come back to the game after an extended break. I remembered one of the reasons why I left - crew skill mission times. Why in the world do they take so long? If you only have a few hours to play, you can only do a few per night, even if you send out more than one. It's counter-productive and frustrating to try and level your skills when most of your time is waiting for your crew to come back.
For gathering skills isn't that bad. With archeology, bioanalisys, scavenging and slicing is much faster and cheaper, lol (specially at grade 3 and above ) just going to planets and farm nodes. Diplomacy, Treasure hunting, Underworld trading and Investigation would be the "slow" ones to level.

starmanmmo
11.11.2013 , 02:07 AM | #9
The apologists are out tonight, aren't they?

I don't like how I have to wait so long for gems to come back so I can work on other things. It's ridiculous. Yes, I actually WOULD rather do it myself because if I just need one crystal, I can go farm it, make it, done, in far less time it takes for a companion to run out and do it for me.

"Flooding the market"? OMG is this your first MMO?

psandak
11.11.2013 , 12:57 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by starmanmmo View Post
The apologists are out tonight, aren't they?

I don't like how I have to wait so long for gems to come back so I can work on other things. It's ridiculous. Yes, I actually WOULD rather do it myself because if I just need one crystal, I can go farm it, make it, done, in far less time it takes for a companion to run out and do it for me.

"Flooding the market"? OMG is this your first MMO?
If all you want is responses agreeing with you 1,000,000,000% all the way, then I would suggest NOT posting on any forum that is DESIGNED AND INTENDED for civil debate. You will be sorely disappointed.

Obviously, you are in the minority. Granted VERY small sample size, only a handful of responses, but all of them are stating that we are OK with the system as is. Add to that the fact is that the overwhelming majority of those who are happy with the system do not come to forums to say so, and you have very little to stand on. Sorry.