Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why use a power generator?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Why use a power generator?

Broken_order
11.05.2013 , 07:32 PM | #1
Ok, so i was thinking, why use a power generator if you can just get a custom shield generator that in addition to providing the stats (if you keep it up to date) also provides a shield chance. As far as i know the power generator dose not give any bonus stats to make up for the shields block, thank you for the help!

AshlaBoga
11.05.2013 , 08:05 PM | #2
Generator for dps,
Shield for tank.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Helig
11.05.2013 , 08:14 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Broken_order View Post
Ok, so i was thinking, why use a power generator if you can just get a custom shield generator that in addition to providing the stats (if you keep it up to date) also provides a shield chance. As far as i know the power generator dose not give any bonus stats to make up for the shields block, thank you for the help!
Shield is nearly useless outside the tank stance, and it only becomes good if you stack shield/absorb gear and talents.

Generator provides a considerable bonus to your Tech (or Force, if you're a Jedi/Sith) power over shield, making your non-white damage attacks hit harder.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

pan_sObak
11.05.2013 , 11:20 PM | #4
generator has tech power stat which improves your DPS and heal

shield generastor has much less tech power but for the shield and absorb stats
so you lose DPS and shield and absorb are good only if you gather that stats further - and doing so you will lose DPS even more
Tomb of Freedon Nadd, Pansobak Legacy
Merc 60, Jugg 60, Sorc 60, Sin 60, Op 60, Sage 60, Comm 60, Guns 55, Vang 60, Sent 60

Craft: Bio 500, Cyber 500, Art 500, Arm 500, Armor 500, Syth 500

Eternalnight
11.06.2013 , 08:24 AM | #5
depending on gear levels we are talking about up to a difference of more than 380 more techpower, which is a huge difference in dps, in exchange for practically nothing

Gidrea
11.06.2013 , 01:17 PM | #6
I don't know about other classes, but if you are Jedi Knight, you must be in tanking stance to activate the sheild generator. This causes you to lose much damage capability. It's ok for tanking, but otherwise, don't do it.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Mädison / Randava / Lexä / Procaffeincia - The Harbinger
Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you choose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Kurzaa
11.06.2013 , 01:18 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gidrea View Post
I don't know about other classes, but if you are Jedi Knight, you must be in tanking stance to activate the sheild generator. This causes you to lose much damage capability. It's ok for tanking, but otherwise, don't do it.
I did not realize that, ty for pointing it out as I think my vigilance guardian has a shield equipped currently.

Gidrea
11.06.2013 , 01:30 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurzaa View Post
I did not realize that, ty for pointing it out as I think my vigilance guardian has a shield equipped currently.
I didn't know it for a long time, then a loading screen ti pointed it out. I researched it, and it's true. Who knew...
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Mädison / Randava / Lexä / Procaffeincia - The Harbinger
Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you choose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

jmsutton
11.06.2013 , 01:52 PM | #9
To clarify, if you can equip a shield, the shield will activate no matter what stance you're in. So you do get a 5% Shield chance for holding a shield, even if you're in a different stance.

But 5% of a chance is so low as to be virtually meaningless. Tank stance provides +15% chance for a base of 20, plus tanking talents raise that higher, and so tank stance is required to make shields MEANINGFUL. But they will, technically, work whether you're in tanking stance or not. But you're gaining a 5% chance to shield at the cost of potentially 60-100 on your bonus damage. Not worth it.

Kerensk
11.06.2013 , 05:22 PM | #10
In the Vanguard/PT class it's actually popular right now to run DPS (generator) gear, hybrid DPS tank build, and tank stance.
They've been tearing things up in PvP as DPS mini tanks, so I Thank I'd reccomended the generator.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”