Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

hammerstation fp help?

Marcaunon
11.05.2013 , 05:06 AM | #1
Hi there

I know most of the stuff in here is about HM and NM ect.

However hammer station is the first fp you get at level 15.
However I find it quite hard at level 15/16 it seems and was wondering if I'm missing something?

Once you have lvl 1 or 2 lvl 18's in the group it becomes a lot easier normally.
But when the whole group is 15/16/17 its quite difficult it seems.

The first part which usually gets me is that mining laser robot.
The thing is those de buffs the laser stacks, once that reaches 8+ it is likely to kill the tank.
And at that level you don't have:
1. no way to "cleanse" that I'm aware off?
2. tank has very limited ability to actually deal with this considering the length of the fight.
2.1 if you are shadow/sin tank you have nothing really... (the regen on combat stance is way to slow to have any impact against that laser)
3. at this level the healer usually have a very hard time keeping up with healing.

I found 2 ways to get through this kinda:
1. if you have 2 "tanks" you can swap tanking at the right time and prevent the debuff to stack to high, but this is rather difficult.
1.1 a guard on the primary tank can give 5% additional defence but won't make that big a difference.
2. if you have off-healers this can usually make up the difference. (most effective way I've seen yet but its not guaranteed you have somebody that can off-heal)
3. in theory a sage/sorc with bubbles can use the bubbles to help with the spikey damage a lot, but the other healers don't have this ability.
4. if none of the above works the fight is close enough for the tank to rejoin the fight after dying perhaps

The final battle is usually a lot easier but at lvl 15/16 the healer usually runs out before the fight is done.
Which can cause a wipe quite easily.
But normally if nothing seriously goes wrong it's much more do-able than the robot.

Now eventually its do-able, but it feels like either I'm missing something.
Or this FP is spanning to wide a level range perhaps?
being to difficult for lvl 15 and to easy at lvl 19?
Or at least this FP is not actually supposed to be done with a lvl 15/16 tank?

Ancaglon
11.05.2013 , 06:07 AM | #2
I think you're right. The characters at level 15-16 don't have most of the tools needed to cope with the mechanics of that first boss fight, although if no-one else is taking damage but the tank (avoiding the mini-droid red circles) a healer should just about be able to keep a tank up through that beam.

Gloomycakes
11.05.2013 , 06:56 AM | #3
Though it's a shame there're mechanics in the fight that are impossible to deal with at such an early level (Athiss is the same without cleanse) the actual amount of healing/survivability required is extremely low. Mechanics can (for now) simply be seen as fluff and a warning: Damage incoming! Unless you're still in the whites you came with at level 1 it's far from challenging aslong as people do fulfill their role:

Healers: Only heal and always heal, don't start healing when people are more or less dead. See the lazer debuff? Start casting a big heal, if your tank doesn't drop, simple cancel it, repeat until you can hit your tank at ~80% (depending on your gear and his HP) Do not, I repeat, do not do any damage unless you're 100% sure you can spare the resources and time, very important at that level. Just cast and cancel cast if your target didn't take enough damage to be worth healing.
You might look less experienced that a healer pushing out dps here and there, but you'll be doing an amazing job at your role. That being said make sure you cancel if your heal would overheal or go to waste completely to safe your resources.

Tanks: Be the first to aggro, especially if you're level 15 (no taunt) and use your 1 cooldown vigorously, unless you're as Shadow/Assassin, just pray you'll be ok. Press an ability every 1.5 seconds, due to your stance (+100% threat) you'll make a lot of threat even with your basic attack aslong as you're always doing something. In case of adds make sure you hit everything, healers create 50% of the threat compared to DPS, but they create it on everything. You do want your healer to heal, right?) especially important for Thrash. The best abilities to do so: Force Sweep/Smash, Force Breach/Discharge or Mortar Volley/Death From Above and Sticky Grenade/Explosive Dart. People are often impatient, DPS will often aggro before you're ready, try to teach yourself to jump in if everyone is a at full HP and full resources, less thinking, more doing, it becomes natural to you soon enough.

DPS: If you get aggro even after giving the tank a bit of time to build up, use a cooldown. I personally don't stop DPSing but if the aggro harms you too much, stop DPSing (+100% threat at those levels is HUGE, if you took aggro it likely means there's an enormous gear difference between you and the tank, thus you might actually be less squishy.) Kill adds and start on the weakest mob (think the second and last boss of hammer station.) For Thrash always kill in the following order: Greys > Silvers > Golds > Champions (doing this makes your questing life easier aswell) and if you can take something out of combat (Smugglers/Agents with Slice Droids, Sage/Sorcerer with Force Light/Whirlwind) do so!

To be honest the bosses have never given me any issues, whether I'm DPS, Heal or Tank. Just yesterday on my baby-Sage I had a full level 15 group in greens, my gear were blues, but level 10 (having a headpiece/belt/bracers compensates for something) and simply by spamming Deliverance and cancelling it when it wasn't needed I could keep our medium armor squish squish smash-form tank up easily (Force Armour is OP in early levels though) Thrash was quite a bit more challanging due to the DPS and Tank being very inexperienced (I'm guessing first MMO, first playthrough, went a lot better after some basic tips and tricks, very kind people, nonetheless I think I showed the 3rd mob half of hammer station by having all greys, silvers and 1 of the golds on me and all I could do was line of sight a lot.) Thrash how-ever is only challanging if both DPS and the Tank don't really know how to deal with it.

It's sad though that if someone rages and you get something like Treek out everything becomes 100x easier, sadly that's been the case up to Colicoid for most of my recent alts. OP furball.

Quote: Originally Posted by Marcaunon View Post
I found 2 ways to get through this kinda:
1. if you have 2 "tanks" you can swap tanking at the right time and prevent the debuff to stack to high, but this is rather difficult.
For as far as I'm aware bosses do not cancel their casts when their aggro changes to a different target, for that reason the debuff can't be shared. (I've never ever seen it not go to the full stacks even if an aggro change.)
1.1 a guard on the primary tank can give 5% additional defence but won't make that big a difference.
Be careful with guarding the tank, it will reduce his threat by 25% which is huge and 1 taunt shouldn't be able to compensate for that if someone is in tanking stance guarding him.
2. if you have off-healers this can usually make up the difference. (most effective way I've seen yet but its not guaranteed you have somebody that can off-heal)
3. in theory a sage/sorc with bubbles can use the bubbles to help with the spikey damage a lot, but the other healers don't have this ability.
Though having a premptive heal such as the bubble is nice, the Scoundrel/Operative have a healing over time to deal with it aswell (Kolto Pack/Kolto Infusius,) Commando's/Mercanaries sadly have to make sure they're focusses and healing before it's too late.
4. if none of the above works the fight is close enough for the tank to rejoin the fight after dying perhaps
Considering you won't get combat resurrection until level 50 people should always resurrect and walk back (unless this is somehow impossible) except if somehow a Shadow/Assassin or Scoundrel/Operative can go in stealth (early 20s) and resurrect a fallen ally this way.

The final battle is usually a lot easier but at lvl 15/16 the healer usually runs out before the fight is done.
"How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate your condition is not permanent. You're lucky, too. Red eyes suit so few." ~Cheshire

feketebirka
11.05.2013 , 07:49 AM | #4
I do think the first boss is rather easy, because it is only challenging for the healer. DPS just go pew pew, tank slashies in tank stance, and eventually just keep in mind to avoid those suicide droia. So, for heal, i do totally agree that you should not do damage, only if you are 100% sure, that you will not need to be healing. I did have 2 kinds of healers on this boss, sorc and commando.

For sorc you just spam shields. If health goes down, you spam shield and heal then. I only had some problem when tank was not stepping out of sweeping gunfire at last boss, so i ran out of force at the end.

For commando you put the healing hammering shots on autofire on the tank. Even if you see max health, you do that. Heal if health goes significantly below 100%.

Anyway, the most difficult part of hammerstation imho is the 3rd thrash mob with 2gold+2silver+2weak. The problem is, that here everyone must do their job properly, or someone can get down fast. DPS _must_ kill weak to strong. Tank _must_ properly get aggro, and healer must know his job, or people will be dying fast. This is the first encounter that punishes lowlevels for error, and eventually there will always be someone too impatient, too stubborn, that someone will die.