Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Future Content...

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5
Class Story 2,315 69.29%
Operations 926 27.72%
PvP Content (Warzones, Arena's etc) 1,286 38.49%
Companions 882 26.40%
Space Content (beyond what is coming already) 617 18.47%
Planets 1,389 41.57%
Crew Skills and Crafting 582 17.42%
Character Customization Options (Hair, Faces, Body sizes, etc) 811 24.27%
Legacy 832 24.90%
Mini Games (Sabacc, Pod racing, pazaak, etc) 1,309 39.18%
Playable Races 982 29.39%
New Class 1,380 41.30%
Other 224 6.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3341. You may not vote on this poll

ninjonxb's Avatar


ninjonxb
11.07.2013 , 09:59 AM | #251
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
It's a conspiracy!
*puts on tinfoil helmet*

Malckiah is a dev posing as a normal member, with dev permissions. That's why he's able to post polls, and your post is just the coverup. I see through your lies! You won't get at my brain!!!
*runs in circles with arms flailing*
How much coffee have you had this morning?
Free goodies (referral link)
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
11.07.2013 , 10:00 AM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by StarMagus View Post
In other words Self-Selecting polls, ie polls where people choose to answer them rather then are randomly polled, are always biased and don't actually reflect the true opinions of the whole, but only those who are very interested in the topics being polled on. They are great "for fun" but Bioware should not take the results seriously and if they are interested in polling their user base they should conduct a truly random selected poll.
I disagree. When you are working with a closed aperture of poll respondents (such as subscribers only) and it is that specific set of respondents you want to gather data from, any bias from voluntary poll response is marginal. Why? Because there is in fact randomness in the samples in an interest group, yet no fly randomness that tends to bias.

In addition, the OP inoculated this poll quite well from selection bias by allowing up to 5 responses. This largely disarms collective efforts to drive a specific bias.

On the other hand... if this poll were open to everyone on the planet... then it would be harshly biased by self-selection bias. A good example of self-selection bias among gamers is the survey that selected EA as the worlds worst company. A very small fraction of total available survey population, with a special interest in smearing a company, was able to in fact drive a survey bias.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
11.07.2013 , 10:02 AM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
It's a conspiracy!
*puts on tinfoil helmet*

Malckiah is a dev posing as a normal member, with dev permissions. That's why he's able to post polls, and your post is just the coverup. I see through your lies! You won't get at my brain!!!
*runs in circles with arms flailing*
LOL... put down the tinfoil and assume the position.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Rafaman's Avatar


Rafaman
11.07.2013 , 10:03 AM | #254
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Interesting.

You have to admit though Eric... this poll has been good for the community and good for Bioware. I know you guys have great telemetry in game and many channels for feedback.... but what I appreciate about forum polls is that they separate player projection upon what "other players want" and allow the forum members to all have a equal voice into a reasonable gathering method to actually collectively state what players want.

I can see why polls could get out of hand in the forum and make for more moderation load for you and your staff... but it would be outstanding of you would initiate some polling from time to time to gather inputs from the forum members.
Agreed. Also despite the fact that polls conducted in this manner are flawed, there are some good data points here. The fact that this poll occurred extemporaneously also helps in my view.

MillionsKNives's Avatar


MillionsKNives
11.07.2013 , 10:03 AM | #255
Quote: Originally Posted by ninjonxb View Post
How much coffee have you had this morning?
Coffee? I don't need coffee, one must be alert at all hours. Except when you get that 2:30 feeling, but that's what 5-hour energy is for.
*holds up a bottle and smiles*

ninjonxb's Avatar


ninjonxb
11.07.2013 , 10:05 AM | #256
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
Coffee? What coffee, one must be alert at all hours. Except when you get that 2:30 feeling, but that's what 5-hour energy is for.
*holds up a bottle and smiles*
Thats perfect. And reminds me of this http://9buz.com/upload/i_poured_redb...2013-07-07.jpg
Free goodies (referral link)
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

StarMagus's Avatar


StarMagus
11.07.2013 , 10:12 AM | #257
Quote:
I disagree. When you are working with a closed aperture of poll respondents (such as subscribers only) and it is that specific set of respondents you want to gather data from, any bias from voluntary poll response is marginal. Why? Because there is in fact randomness in the samples in an interest group, yet no fly randomness that tends to bias.
Completely disagree, the people who are going to be attracted to his poll and to his particular sub forum in general are not a fair cross sample of the player base or even the Subscriber Player Base. Or rather I should say there is no proof that that the interests of the people who bother to come to the General Forum Thread are a fair cross sample of the Subscriber User base. The Bias is built into how and where the poll, which is why Self Selected Polls have a major source of bias that you just can't get rid of. It's the same reason why putting a poll for customers of say McDonalds in the dine in booth section of the stores would be a bad idea, you are completely ignoring Drive through orders and people who come in but don't sit down and eat, and to pretend that people who eat in the restaurant automatically have the same break down and interests as the other 2 groups is foolish.

In other words, polls work BEST when the percentages of the basic demographics of the people polled matches the general population of people involved in the activity being polled for closest. ((Likely voters in the case of elections, and Subscribers maybe + preferred users in this polls case.)) Self Selecting polls do nothing to insure that, they can't.

MillionsKNives's Avatar


MillionsKNives
11.07.2013 , 10:16 AM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by ninjonxb View Post
Thats perfect. And reminds me of this http://9buz.com/upload/i_poured_redb...2013-07-07.jpg
I lol'd.

I do enjoy a good caffeine joke. Futurama, Dexter's Lab, and Over the Hedge spring to mind.

PlasmaJohn's Avatar


PlasmaJohn
11.07.2013 , 10:19 AM | #259
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
A good example of self-selection bias among gamers is the survey that selected EA as the worlds worst company. A very small fraction of total available survey population, with a special interest in smearing a company, was able to in fact drive a survey bias.
Don't you have to be a subscriber to Consumer Reports to take that survey?

Audiva - Cogohi - Malkerson - Mysalia - OIejandro - Roxiani - Szachi
Aldriovok - Jubelee - Korduun - Mikkiani - Ojain - Oromunroe - Ryliani

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
11.07.2013 , 10:21 AM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by StarMagus View Post
Completely disagree, the people who are going to be attracted to his poll and to his particular sub forum in general are not a fair cross sample of the player base or even the Subscriber Player Base. Or rather I should say there is no proof that that the interests of the people who bother to come to the General Forum Thread are a fair cross sample of the Subscriber User base. The Bias is built into how and where the poll, which is why Self Selected Polls have a major source of bias that you just can't get rid of. It's the same reason why putting a poll for customers of say McDonalds in the dine in booth section of the stores would be a bad idea, you are completely ignoring Drive through orders and people who come in but don't sit down and eat, and to pretend that people who eat in the restaurant automatically have the same break down and interests as the other 2 groups is foolish.
Context of what you are seeking in a poll is very important. In this case, the poll seeks to acquire a stable statistical view of what subscribers crave in the way of future content.

The poll is in the official forums, in general discussion (the most popular and heavily trafficked part of the forum), and is a subscriber only aperture. Any forum member (regardless their bias) is equally able to enter the poll. The poll is a one-question/up-to-5-selections poll, which inoculates it from agenda bias.

IF your intention is to extract a representative view from subscribers as to what things they would like in the future, it is sufficiently randomized by the above elements to avoid any notable bias of any sub-faction of subscribers.. and that is the key for this poll.

On the other hand.. IF the intention of the poll is to gain a representative view of anyone who is playing, has played, or might play SWTOR... it is extremely flawed and biased.


The fact that the poll results stabilized early (around 200 respondents) that for all practical purposes it is bias free (in the context of subscribers). If you did this same poll with a random selection of 200 subscribers in game (if it was possible to determine subscriber from spoofer, but it's not) I bet the numbers come out within a few percentage points of what we have here. In other words, within the normal uncertainty of a poll.

The outcome of this poll does not match with my personal selections in the poll and desires. However, I am objective enough to embrace the poll as fair representation of what the collective community of subscribers want... and I support it on those grounds regardless of the fact that it does not match my personal desires.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.