Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thundering Blast

Hazmatt_
11.04.2013 , 12:02 PM | #1
I have an Arsenal Merc in full Conqueror gear and am in the process of gearing out my Sorceror.

I prefer the Lightning tree over Madness only because of the burst potential, but I don't understand why our heaviest hitting ability, Thundering Blast, requires so much setup along with the heavy cast time.

For instance, my Heatseeker Missile on my Arsenal Merc is an instant cast ability that still hits like a truck even without a Tracer Lock on my target, and I often forgo the setup of Tracer Lock on my target under circumstances where I'm being focused but still want to hurl yard darts while reestablishing distance on my pursuer.

With all of the discussion around upcoming re-balancing changes, would it be too far fetched to consider lowering the cast time of Thundering Blast to an instant cast so it falls in line with something like Heatseeker Missile?

cs_zoltan
11.04.2013 , 12:07 PM | #2
First you should never ever use heatseeker without tracer first, no excuses. Now that that's settled, both of them requires 1 GCD setup time, but heatseeker is not autocrit so i think it's a fair trade-off
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kja, Kejann, Aemis, Kyr, Kyra'h, Lama Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin

Sindariel
11.04.2013 , 12:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
First you should never ever use heatseeker without tracer first, no excuses. Now that that's settled, both of them requires 1 GCD setup time, but heatseeker is not autocrit so i think it's a fair trade-off
Thundering Blast has 2 sec cast time and suffers from pushback. Not to mention that it does less damage than an auto crit AOE Smash, but that's another topic. >.>

Hazmatt_
11.04.2013 , 01:04 PM | #4
Can you provide me with an expectation of what a topped out TB will look like damage wise?

I've clobbered undergeared Pubs on Oricon for 10k with a Heatseeker before, but my Sorcerer's gear has gear has yet to attain big middle finger standards.

I agree on the setup for Heatseeker btw.

Defensive mechanics in Lightning feel more akin to fight or flight compared to my Merc so I'm hoping my burst damage output will at least be comparable (if not higher) relative to the Merc.

Hazmatt_
11.04.2013 , 01:10 PM | #5
I probably should toss out the differences between hulking around in Heavy armor compared to my Light underoors.

Would the differences in armor justify a slightly higher damage output between the glass-cannon, turret classes?

Just adding food for thought.

Sindariel
11.04.2013 , 01:25 PM | #6
In 72's operation gear, Thundering Blast hits for around 8k. In parses from 78 geared players, i've seen it hit for around 9k.

Zoom_VI
11.04.2013 , 01:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
In 72's operation gear, Thundering Blast hits for around 8k. In parses from 78 geared players, i've seen it hit for around 9k.
Factoring in the returns for expertise you should be hitting the same numbers for PvP as well
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Treblt
11.04.2013 , 02:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Factoring in the returns for expertise you should be hitting the same numbers for PvP as well
No adrenals in PvP, but the average hit for a fully min/maxed obroan sorc is ~7.5k-8k
Mtofpo- Fajfyxc- Comedown

psybernetic
11.04.2013 , 02:32 PM | #9
Highest TB I've seen on a pvp-geared target was about 8.3k in a wz or arena. Against a pve-geared target, closer to 10k. These numbers are without that 30% proc which should be rolled into the damage, imo.
Psychedelic ViolenceXCrime of Visual Shock
Spice must flow.
Vorbis voce Imperatoris loquitur.
Nocturnus sum.

cs_zoltan
11.04.2013 , 02:36 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Thundering Blast has 2 sec cast time and suffers from pushback. Not to mention that it does less damage than an auto crit AOE Smash, but that's another topic. >.>
And heatseeker is not autocrit, like i said i think it's a fair trade off
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kja, Kejann, Aemis, Kyr, Kyra'h, Lama Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin