Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Female officers are referred to as "Sir"

Tatile
11.03.2013 , 01:55 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDisturbed View Post
Just like it's lazy that it's "Master" Satale Shan and not "Mistress" Satale Shan, or "Lord Ladypants" and not "Lady Ladypants", right?

Gender neutral titles are nothing new to the SW universe, buddy, but I'm sure you'll find a reason to whine about it.
I won't get into a linguistics discussion over the idea that masculine titles are gender neutral, but, honestly, I don't see it as much of an issue in the setting. We had an essay posted over in the SGRA thread on the topic of gendered language, actually, very interesting read, briefly covers gendering job titles, but if we assume that in-world, Lord, Sir, Master etc. are inherently gender neutral for the context in which they are applied, then there's no problem with referring to a superior officer as "Sir", regardless of their gender. If we were to re-dubb for female officers, what about those who are tertiary or a-gender? Will they be given an unique honourific or will they be referred to as "Sir" as well? Because, regardless of whether you believe a gender spectrum is applicable to the human species, it has been applied to many alien species that, at least in the Republic, one might encounter.

Also, this is a different military and naval system, some of their ranks don't seem to match up with existing Earth-world ones, so why must their honourific system adhere as well?

PhilD
11.04.2013 , 01:06 PM | #12
This thread makes me think of how confused I was when, as a 12 year old, I saw Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan in the theater and both Kirk and Spock address Kirstie Alley's character as "Mr. Saavik."
The Finglonger Legacy

Beslley
11.04.2013 , 10:55 PM | #13
Why is this in the flashpoint/operation forum?
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT

Zwoodco
11.05.2013 , 09:56 PM | #14
It is pretty common for US Military Officers of both genders to demand that they be referred to as sir. In fact, in my dad's old unit there was a female officer around his rank that preferred sir.
There is passion, Yet peace
Serenity, Yet emotion
Chaos, yet order
I am a Gray Jedi

chuixupu
11.06.2013 , 02:34 AM | #15
I was going to say, I know many cases of female officers in real life being referred to as Sir. It's not just in fiction.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

ArchangelLBC
11.07.2013 , 12:40 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
This thread makes me think of how confused I was when, as a 12 year old, I saw Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan in the theater and both Kirk and Spock address Kirstie Alley's character as "Mr. Saavik."
That's because there is only ever one lady on a naval ship and that's the ship itself.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd