Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Female officers are referred to as "Sir"

dark-horses
11.02.2013 , 05:50 PM | #1
Why? is it just a messup on BW's part that they just dont want to go back and re-voice over?

In the military you refer to a female ranking as Ma'am..not sir...i shake my head every time i hear it in SWTOR...such as on the black talon...when you are greeted by the female officers, at the end of the dialog she gives the soldiers an order and they shout SIR!

Michka
11.02.2013 , 07:27 PM | #2
It's pretty common in sci-fi to have women military officers be called sir. That's probably where it's from.
SIDOROV LEGACY
SORVALI.operative ++ DARQKLAW.mercenary ++ KHARAMAZOV.sorceror
STEELCLAW.scoundrel ++ SOLZHENITZYN.commando ++ ASTRALCLAW.shadow
<Zorz> <Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

jedimasterjac
11.02.2013 , 07:28 PM | #3
In Black Talon, the original conversation was with a male officer, so that's why those troopers say "sir".

Don't believe me? Watch the video on this site showing off flashpoints.
Quote: Originally Posted by Koozebane View Post
This isn't a couple of goobers out for some kicks. This is organized large team warfare by a single guild in a PVE zone.

oJebuso
11.02.2013 , 09:31 PM | #4
Gender equality.
Javik - 55 Sent/Mara | Zavik - 55 Sniper
The Bastion
- -

Master-Nala
11.02.2013 , 09:45 PM | #5
In the Republic military, only Sir is used. The lore object on Ord Mantell explains this. And this isn't Earth, these militaries probably have species that don't reproduce sexually. Using a neutral honorific makes sense.
HARBINGER-60s
Alana, Myschal, Vodoun, Alan, Ztephanie

DarkDisturbed
11.02.2013 , 10:01 PM | #6
As others have said, it's pretty common in Science Fiction/Fantasy to use "sir" for all genders, as in some universes (including SW) there are asexual genderless species.
Vriff
Jedi Covenant Founder of Legendary Republic

Stncold
11.02.2013 , 10:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDisturbed View Post
As others have said, it's pretty common in Science Fiction/Fantasy to use "sir" for all genders, as in some universes (including SW) there are asexual genderless species.
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
In the Republic military, only Sir is used. The lore object on Ord Mantell explains this. And this isn't Earth, these militaries probably have species that don't reproduce sexually. Using a neutral honorific makes sense.
A) The Imperial Military uses Sir also. It's done in-game, and Theron calls a female Imp officer "Sir" when undercover in Annihilation.

B) This is the only Star Wars work where "Sir" is used exclusively. "Ma'am" is used in all others, while "SIr" is indeed used for females occasionally in other SW works, it is not exclusively like TOR.

c) There are only a handful of known asexual species in the galaxy. None of which I know serve in either military.
One hasn't even been discovered by this time, another which is S-Canon at best.

Simply put, it's Bioware being lazy and not wanting to do the voicework. There is no defense for it, they were lazy plain and simple, then threw in a shoddy in-game explanation for it. Just like ship droids calling females "Master".

So you're telling me some of the most advanced droids in the galaxy can't say "Mistress", but random droids that appear that appear throughout the game with female owners and voicework only recorded for that female owner can say "Mistress".

It's BW being lazy, plain and simple. While I can understand it somewhat in order to save some money and time, it's still laziness and cutting corners, just like the Engine and a lot of other stuff in this game.

Also I don't really know why this thread is in the PvE section of the forums. Probably belongs more in Gen Discussion or Story and Lore.
Selthia-Guardian
Zarrec- Gunslinger Yorenec-Commando
POT5.
RIP The Fatman

MGNMTTRN
11.03.2013 , 09:29 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Stncold View Post
A) The Imperial Military uses Sir also. It's done in-game, and Theron calls a female Imp officer "Sir" when undercover in Annihilation.

B) This is the only Star Wars work where "Sir" is used exclusively. "Ma'am" is used in all others, while "SIr" is indeed used for females occasionally in other SW works, it is not exclusively like TOR.

c) There are only a handful of known asexual species in the galaxy. None of which I know serve in either military.

Simply put, it's Bioware being lazy and not wanting to do the voicework. There is no defense for it, they were lazy plain and simple, then threw in a shoddy in-game explanation for it. Just like ship droids calling females "Master".

So you're telling me some of the most advanced droids in the galaxy can't say "Mistress", but random droids that appear that appear throughout the game with female owners and voicework only recorded for that female owner can say "Mistress".

It's BW being lazy, plain and simple. While I can understand it somewhat in order to save some money and time, it's still laziness and cutting corners, just like the Engine and a lot of other stuff in this game.

Also I don't really know why this thread is in the PvE section of the forums. Probably belongs more in Gen Discussion or Story and Lore.
uhhhh

you understand that the money they spend to record voicework is money that someone has to pay right

if these video game characters call me 'sir' and i save $6/month that's fine with me

wainot-keel
11.03.2013 , 10:11 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MGNMTTRN View Post
uhhhh

you understand that the money they spend to record voicework is money that someone has to pay right
as opposed to what ? you understand that everything they do in the game is money that someone has to pay right

DarkDisturbed
11.03.2013 , 01:41 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Stncold View Post

Just like it's lazy that it's "Master" Satale Shan and not "Mistress" Satale Shan, or "Lord Ladypants" and not "Lady Ladypants", right?

Gender neutral titles are nothing new to the SW universe, buddy, but I'm sure you'll find a reason to whine about it.