Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to tell if the Jugg/Guard is DPS specced

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
How to tell if the Jugg/Guard is DPS specced

benovide
11.01.2013 , 09:40 PM | #1
1. When they take ridiculous amounts of damage with minor attacks.
2. When you see them use the Impale or Obliterate, Force Crush, or Shatter.
3. When their HP is minimal compared to the rest
4. When your Madness Specced Sorc annihilates the Sith Jugg without issue.
5. When your DPS sorc can solo the Jugg and you can wipe him out quickly.
6. When you're in FPs, HMs, etc. and he's hesitant to strike first.
7. When he always dies and never lives through battles without ridiculous amounts of healing.
8. When you see them ALMOST doing the damage the Marauder is doing, but still gets wasted and cannot generate Aggro.
9. When the Jugg CANNOT gain, or maintain aggro
10. When he's dying as much or more than your Marauder is
11. When he can't take down a Sniper, Sorc, or Sage on his own without assistance
12. When a Vanguard/Powertech out tanks him/her.

If you see these signs, if possible, boot them from the team, and wait for another one who is actually tank specced to join your team. Life will be easier, and the mission will be done faster. With so few tanks in game, it's lucky to be 2 or 3 minutes before a new tank (like healer) comes onto your team that is actually specced correctly.

jarshr
11.01.2013 , 11:16 PM | #2
if the tank or healer is not spced into thier role level 20+ i kick them, ppl think they can heal or tank in dps spec....no...**** lol....ive only ever seen a vengeance jugg tank well once, even then aggro was a problem.

Helig
11.02.2013 , 01:11 AM | #3
I have 0 trouble tanking anything pre-50 in DPS specs. My latest Jugg is Vengeance, and the only trouble I ever had was multitarget aggro, which is easily rectified with a little strategy. When all else fails, mass taunt and enraged Sweeping spam. Survivability also isn't an issue thanks to talented Enraged Defense. It's an aggro dump, sure, but this is negated with taunts.

AP and Pyro PT specs are almost as tanky as shield tech (though Pyro damage suffers a lot more in ion cell) for the purpose of levelling flashpoints.

Granted, Shadow/Sin tanks suck without tank talents, even at 30-ish, but then again, I didn't have a very hard time healing a Balance-specced Shadow "tank" as Commando last time I was in Maelstrom.

If you think there's too few tanks, or healers, *roll one*. DPS specs are a lot faster to level, and, unless I almost exclusively run flashpoints (which I did on a healer Sage and on a tank Guardian), I see little to no incentive to level as a support spec. There is, of course, always field respec....
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

benovide
11.02.2013 , 01:23 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
I have 0 trouble tanking anything pre-50 in DPS specs. My latest Jugg is Vengeance, and the only trouble I ever had was multitarget aggro, which is easily rectified with a little strategy. When all else fails, mass taunt and enraged Sweeping spam. Survivability also isn't an issue thanks to talented Enraged Defense. It's an aggro dump, sure, but this is negated with taunts.

AP and Pyro PT specs are almost as tanky as shield tech (though Pyro damage suffers a lot more in ion cell) for the purpose of levelling flashpoints.

Granted, Shadow/Sin tanks suck without tank talents, even at 30-ish, but then again, I didn't have a very hard time healing a Balance-specced Shadow "tank" as Commando last time I was in Maelstrom.

Dude, not even close. You can taunt as much as you want in pre-50 FPs, you're disgustingly horrible in generating and keeping Aggro.

Atleast if the healer isn't specced healing, most often you have another player who is secondary healing as well as the healer. For example, going into a FP with a Jugg Tank, and 3 DPS sorcs, we never had issues keeping each other alive because of our inherent healing abilities.

But that's because the tank keeps all the aggro. Taunts don't last work a crap. If I ever saw your non-tank specced jugg on my team, i'd have you booted immediately.

on Ebon Hawk your kind roam wild, and completely ruin flash points and destroy teams. A DPS spec Jugg is worse than a non-spec healer. (if it's Sorc or Op, if it's a Merc/comando, that Merc/Commando is getting the boot unless we have a second player that has healing abilities as well) .

Helig
11.02.2013 , 01:36 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by benovide View Post
Dude, not even close. You can taunt as much as you want in pre-50 FPs, you're disgustingly horrible in generating and keeping Aggro.

Atleast if the healer isn't specced healing, most often you have another player who is secondary healing as well as the healer. For example, going into a FP with a Jugg Tank, and 3 DPS sorcs, we never had issues keeping each other alive because of our inherent healing abilities.

But that's because the tank keeps all the aggro. Taunts don't last work a crap. If I ever saw your non-tank specced jugg on my team, i'd have you booted immediately.

on Ebon Hawk your kind roam wild, and completely ruin flash points and destroy teams. A DPS spec Jugg is worse than a non-spec healer. (if it's Sorc or Op, if it's a Merc/comando, that Merc/Commando is getting the boot unless we have a second player that has healing abilities as well) .
Fascinating tale, chap.

I run NiMs as Guard tank.

You don't know how aggro works. You don't know how taunts work. I have nothing to discuss with you. I can sympathize with your negative experiences (on my levelling alts, I had my share of Vigitards running around spamming Strike in Soresu - I was actually lucky when they bothered to change to Soresu at all), but you seem to be dealing in absolutes.

I've yet to have a single player complain about my tanking, even if I ran a DPS spec (unless you count healers who sometimes tell me they were utterly bored).

Blaming others for your own shortcomings is a dark path. One full of sadness and despair.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

benovide
11.02.2013 , 01:52 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Fascinating tale, chap.

I run NiMs as Guard tank.

You don't know how aggro works. You don't know how taunts work. I have nothing to discuss with you. I can sympathize with your negative experiences (on my levelling alts, I had my share of Vigitards running around spamming Strike in Soresu - I was actually lucky when they bothered to change to Soresu at all), but you seem to be dealing in absolutes.

I've yet to have a single player complain about my tanking, even if I ran a DPS spec (unless you count healers who sometimes tell me they were utterly bored).

Blaming others for your own shortcomings is a dark path. One full of sadness and despair.
In NiMs, you're completely worthless to the team compared to the Guardian/Juggernaut who is in proper spec as the Tank. In generating Aggro you come nowhere near as good in keeping it up as the real Tanks do. I've watched entire teams collapse because the tank was completely useless in keeping aggro.

If the DPSer is generating more aggro at any point, you're a fail tank. Taunts hardly to jack in the larger picture outside of a boss fight. Even then it's short lived if your DPSers are DPS specced, they'll out aggro what you do, and most likely result in their deaths.

You're in the group of first players to be booted from a group for bad Spec.

Racter
11.02.2013 , 05:31 AM | #7
Uh dude... Every flashpoint in this game can be tanked by a DPS. I've tanked most of them as Veng, Rage, AP, Deception and Madness. And combat and focus on my sent for that matter. Game is mad easy. l2p

benovide
11.02.2013 , 11:00 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Racter View Post
Uh dude... Every flashpoint in this game can be tanked by a DPS. I've tanked most of them as Veng, Rage, AP, Deception and Madness. And combat and focus on my sent for that matter. Game is mad easy. l2p
In stream lining FPs, unless you're much over level of the FP, NIM, HM, No, you don't. And no, you can't. Not unless you have more than one person focusing heals on you.

Keleus
11.02.2013 , 11:05 AM | #9
1) I do hope the OP means how to tel if your tank is in DPS spec, which scares me that people try that. That's some bad mojo right there.

2) I out DPS Sentinels quite often actually, and only one to date can consistently beat me. I'm Vigilance Speced.

3) Dear god, again, if you're going to tank, tank. Go the full 9 yards. The whole 10. Don't half *** it with Tank gear on as a DPS spec, that **** doesn't work, it *********** doesn't, and if you think it does, you're bad and should feel bad. I was in rakata gear as a DPS just returning to the game and the tank had full blown arkanian tank gear in dps spec and lost aggro CONSTANTLY to me. Was not fun.

4) PvP in this game is garbage imho, but that's because BW isn't all that good at balancing out classes, not so much the game itself. That said, I hate solo pvp, freaking love team pvp like nothing else.
ị█████{||}▓▓▓▓|Ξ|/██████████████████████████████████)

benovide
11.02.2013 , 11:44 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Keleus View Post
1) I do hope the OP means how to tel if your tank is in DPS spec, which scares me that people try that. That's some bad mojo right there.

2) I out DPS Sentinels quite often actually, and only one to date can consistently beat me. I'm Vigilance Speced.

3) Dear god, again, if you're going to tank, tank. Go the full 9 yards. The whole 10. Don't half *** it with Tank gear on as a DPS spec, that **** doesn't work, it *********** doesn't, and if you think it does, you're bad and should feel bad. I was in rakata gear as a DPS just returning to the game and the tank had full blown arkanian tank gear in dps spec and lost aggro CONSTANTLY to me. Was not fun.

4) PvP in this game is garbage imho, but that's because BW isn't all that good at balancing out classes, not so much the game itself. That said, I hate solo pvp, freaking love team pvp like nothing else.
Team PVP you actually know the players coming on and the type of builds they have. I will never intentionally go into PVP with a worthless tank.

DPS Specced Juggs/Guardians are by far the worse. Madness built Sorc can solo them, and that's sad.