Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shadow or Assassin?

dissonan
10.30.2013 , 01:09 PM | #1
Hey there!

After I played this game for some time (mostly living out my alt-addiction), I finally want to settle for a class to take to the endgame.
The playstyle of Shadow/Sin does appeal to me the most, since I can't really settle for one of the healer classes and DD is no choice for me.
But here comes my dilemma:

I can't decide whether to go Imperial or Republic. I do fancy the animations of Shadow more, while my Sin is male (like myself IRL) and has a (hopefully) interesting love interest to look forward to (my Shadow is female, so romancing is pretty much out of question there). From what I understood after lurking through the forums, the Jedi Consular story is considered the worst (as in, least engaging and non-action focused) and the opinion about the Inquisitor story is diverse, but it's considered better than the Consular story, at least. Above all it's my impression that the Imperials are always in advantage, number-wise, is that true for most/all servers?

So, my question is:

Which side should I start my Assassin/Shadow on? Additionally, what about the stories, which one is better/more engaging?

Atiris
10.30.2013 , 01:43 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by dissonan View Post
Hey there!

After I played this game for some time (mostly living out my alt-addiction), I finally want to settle for a class to take to the endgame.
The playstyle of Shadow/Sin does appeal to me the most, since I can't really settle for one of the healer classes and DD is no choice for me.

I can't decide whether to go Imperial or Republic. I do fancy the animations of Shadow more, while my Sin is male (like myself IRL) and has a (hopefully) interesting love interest to look forward to (my Shadow is female, so romancing is pretty much out of question there). From what I understood after lurking through the forums, the Jedi Consular story is considered the worst (as in, least engaging and non-action focused) and the opinion about the Inquisitor story is diverse, but it's considered better than the Consular story, at least. Above all it's my impression that the Imperials are always in advantage, number-wise, is that true for most/all servers?

So, my question is:

Which side should I start my Assassin/Shadow on? Additionally, what about the stories, which one is better/more engaging?
Hello.

This is a good question and I think I can shed some light on the subject. I have played through the entirety of the Consular storyline all the way up until level 50 on my Jedi Shadow and I am approaching the final battle in the Inquisitor side on my Sith Sorcerer, so I'm sure I can give you an unbias response.

If you are looking for action and are hoping to be thrown straight in the middle of the Jedi / Sith Civil War, then you are playing the wrong storylines. Both the Consular and Inquisitor stories are far more isolated than what you'd find in the Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior storylines. That being said, i'd say they are equally appealing.

The Consular's story revolves around diplomacy and building alliances whereas the Inquisitor is focused on manipulation and esponiage. They both explore otherworldly powers and the Consular does offer a great deal of twists and suspense to its storyline. The Inquisitor, on the other hand, is more straight to the point and since I have not finished the story, I cannot tell you for certain how climatic the ending is.

I can't really disclose anymore information about either story without giving away spoilers and I do not want to ruin either story for you. But based on the questions that you ask, I'd say that the Consular may be the better choice for you. It's important that you know going in that this storyline is not explosive or action-packed like the Knight and Warriors are, but it is equally intriguing and filled with mystic and mystery.

Besides, you've already shown interest in the potential romance available for your Consular, so you may have already made your decision.

P.S. Surprisingly, the population on either faction appears equal to me... at least on my server as of late. The average for Republic Fleet is around 180 and the average for Imperial Fleet is roughly 170.

Strixs
10.30.2013 , 03:56 PM | #3
Hey there!

So, my question is:

All stories engage.... Which is one seems to be fancied more out of the 2... the assassin's
However If you enjoy being good and like the republic overall I'd go shadow.
especially if you dislike spiritistic/ghost/cultish behavior stick with republic. If not go empire.

If you are remaking them, just play a male if that what will make you happier thats what you should do.

Numberwise of advantage is solely on the server in question.
Some are republic heavy and vice versa.
Some are even, just depends.

dissonan
10.30.2013 , 03:59 PM | #4
Hey there!

Thanks for the quick and indepth answer, although I think you got the romancing part a little bit wrong: my Shadow is female, so i wouldn't romance there, my Assassin on the other hand is male and would romance ... Ashara, was it? I don't remember at the moment.

For now, I'll go with my Assassin, I guess. From what I've seen till now (Lv 15) the story seems to be a lot more engaging than Consular up to that point (both my Shadow and Sin are 15/16 right now). And the option to romance does intrigue me, at least I want it done once

Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your insights

Edit: this is directed at Atiris, to avoid confusion.

benovide
10.31.2013 , 01:05 AM | #5
You'll love the Sith Inquisitor storyline, leveling up another Sorc.

in PVP end game Assassin and Marauder reign supreme. in PVE, it's up in the air between Sorc, Assassin, Jugg, and Marauder. But Marauder is by far the most common class I've seen in game.

Storyline storyline storyline, well, the storyline of the Consular, After I finished the ending DS, and LS, both to me felt like I really wasted my time. Class wise in playing in PVE and PVP, both are identicle, only thing changing is the make up of most teams. On my server (Ebon Hawk) it's all dominantly Sentinals or Vanguards.

I love my Troopers, but TBH, I really dislike republic side on my server, almost no one is ever on Republic Side, for example on quesh, for three hours I was the ONLY pub on the planet, while Imps had atleast 60 people. On Hoth, pub side, I was the only one there today when I was doing the quests.

Jump on my Sorc I'm leveling now? 140 imps.

I've seen as many as 3,000 imperials online at one time, while pub side is lucky to have 600.

Get into a FP, well, I've been on flashpoints as being the one of two commandos and two Vanguards. as most people are typically ignorant, they pick up tank classes, and don't level up the tank route of their tech trees, making them completely useless as tanks, and of course you get that one command who's leveling combat medic, which is completely useless, teammates may was well stick to medpacks in that situation. On Athiss a while back with this config, we couldn't even get past the first Boss.

Pub side at least on my server, is a total waste of time, and space. If you really like a pub storyline cool, play it for the story, but as far as team play and working together, good luck. In two pub guilds I joined, both Heavy RP, required to have Galvanized Infantry Armor, or full suited battle armor with helmets for vanguard/commandos, cool, I had all that.

On my own Shadow, required to get Valient Jedi Armor, cool, on sale in the CM and I got CCs, cool.

Jedi heavy RP guild played as "Sith" RP wise, and the Trooper guild RP wise acted more like smugglers/pirates.

Leveling up is nice to have someone to play with at your side, do any guild mates ever come on? When they do do they ever assist? Nope.

Empire side is total day and night in both the type of player base you have, and the guilds alone are worlds different. Only reason I keep any pub side classes is for my last trooper I'm leveling. After that, I'll probably end up deleting him, my Shadow, my Sage, and my Vanguard. Because ultimately, pub side is a waste.

Long-term, storylines pub side actually irritated me, especially the end of the trooper missions. And the end of the Guardian missions when you finish DS.

Rant aside,

Go Assassin.

Atiris
10.31.2013 , 06:50 AM | #6
Hey there!

Thanks for the quick and indepth answer, although I think you got the romancing part a little bit wrong: my Shadow is female, so i wouldn't romance there, my Assassin on the other hand is male and would romance ... Ashara, was it? I don't remember at the moment.

For now, I'll go with my Assassin, I guess. From what I've seen till now (Lv 15) the story seems to be a lot more engaging than Consular up to that point (both my Shadow and Sin are 15/16 right now). And the option to romance does intrigue me, at least I want it done once

Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your insights

Edit: this is directed at Atiris, to avoid confusion.
Hey, no problem at all! Glad I help.

Just keep in mind that if you are going Assassin and you are a Male, the romance option is very scarce. As you said, Ashara is the only romance option for the Male Inquisitor. Well, actually there's another NPC that you can romance during your mission on Nar Shaddar, but it's not very rewarding. If you are attempting to romance Ashara, keep in mind that she will only romance you if you are Light Side or make Light Side decisions around her.

It is possible to romance her from the Dark Side, but when you have conversation with her, you have to be encouraging, nice, considerate, sympathetic... basically everything you will probably not be if you are playing the full-fledge dark side route, especially if you are trying to stay "In Character."

This was a huge disappointment for me since my Sorcerer is a Male Dark Sider and thus, left my character without a romance once I ended things with the Nar Shadda NPC girl. In regards to romance, Consular seems to have better options for both Male and Female characters. Male characters can romance their Padawans once they're in the 40's, Females can romance everyone else on their ship lol. Inquisitor Female also has better romance options, but I actually only think you have one clear-cut romance, which is the guy you will pick up on Tatooine.

So unless you have been going Light Side or decide to go Light Side, just be prepared that you might be disappointed in the romance category on your Assassin. Either way, I hope you have fun with it. The story is interesting.

dissonan
10.31.2013 , 10:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Atiris View Post
Hey, no problem at all! Glad I help.

Just keep in mind that if you are going Assassin and you are a Male, the romance option is very scarce. As you said, Ashara is the only romance option for the Male Inquisitor. Well, actually there's another NPC that you can romance during your mission on Nar Shaddar, but it's not very rewarding. If you are attempting to romance Ashara, keep in mind that she will only romance you if you are Light Side or make Light Side decisions around her.

It is possible to romance her from the Dark Side, but when you have conversation with her, you have to be encouraging, nice, considerate, sympathetic... basically everything you will probably not be if you are playing the full-fledge dark side route, especially if you are trying to stay "In Character."

This was a huge disappointment for me since my Sorcerer is a Male Dark Sider and thus, left my character without a romance once I ended things with the Nar Shadda NPC girl. In regards to romance, Consular seems to have better options for both Male and Female characters. Male characters can romance their Padawans once they're in the 40's, Females can romance everyone else on their ship lol. Inquisitor Female also has better romance options, but I actually only think you have one clear-cut romance, which is the guy you will pick up on Tatooine.

So unless you have been going Light Side or decide to go Light Side, just be prepared that you might be disappointed in the romance category on your Assassin. Either way, I hope you have fun with it. The story is interesting.
Good thing I'm going Light Side on pretty much every character I make I'll just see how it plays out, the story is pretty interesting till now.

Atiris
10.31.2013 , 10:58 AM | #8
Well then you are set! I hope you enjoy it and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Helig
10.31.2013 , 12:36 PM | #9
Got both Shadow and Sin, and here are my observations.

The stories are more or less equal in terms of writing.
I like the Consular love interest for male characters better than the Inquisitor one.
I like Shadow melee/spinning kick/breach/technique animations more, in general - they do look more martial arts style, while the Assassin looks more like a fighter-wizard.
I generally hate everything related to rocks in Jedi Consular Force animations. Kinetic Ward looks particularly awful. Body type 4 males may claim that they're so fat they have their own asteroid belts.
I like Inquisitor male voice a lot more than Consular male.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Atiris
10.31.2013 , 12:45 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Body type 4 males may claim that they're so fat they have their own asteroid belts.
LOL!!!! I so want to make a Consular inspired by this