Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks, please stop stacking Endurance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanks, please stop stacking Endurance

SDconqueror
11.08.2013 , 07:42 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Torgru View Post
I'll admit, I didn't read much of any of this. I'm just going to make my one little chime in here.

In the current comm gear, I would use a 34B mod over a 31 mod. A loss of 2 defensive stat, for a gain of 35 endurance is worthwhile. To put that in perspective, it's a loss of 18 stat, just over half an augment, for ~3300 health. Use of commendation enhancements is not a worthwhile endeavor. And personally, I still see strong value in the 66 enhancements, clear up until the point that you get Dread Forged. Armorings are armorings. I personally prefer Might/Resolve/Reflex over Commando in non-set pieces, because there aren't that many fights in the HM 2.4 where I find that the additional health is necessary. In NiM 2.4, perhaps. But the extra threat is always nice. Finally, using Fortitude Augments for anything that isn't PvP is just going to result in a sigh, a shake of my head, and an addition to my "Not taking this person to operations" list.

The short version, endurance stacking is bad, and you should feel bad.

I went over this assumption just the other day with a guild mate. We also concluded that 34B mods > 31 mods, at least for powertech tanks. Haven't checked with the other tanking classes but I assume this is also valid for Sins.

Enhancements on the other hand, become debatable... Need someone to analyze the swtich from UW to 78 comm enhancements.

tourck
11.08.2013 , 08:30 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Torgru View Post
You appear to be managing that snob part and talking down to people thing pretty well, actually.

Let's try to keep things constructive, please. We're not other games with terrible communities. We're Star Wars, and it's simply uncalled for.
Sorry if you missed my joking tone, doesn't really come across in a post I guess. I would really like a link to a guide that does not just throw out a formula. And being that this is star wars, I would hope that you would be helpful and not berate a fellow star wars dork for asking for help, no need for bulling.

Mounds
11.08.2013 , 08:41 AM | #73
...im leveling a sith assasin and i choose willpower to be highest over endurance
he is only 20 but if i see shield and def gear should i take that first?
A galaxy in you are
become not what you are
but what you must!

SDconqueror
11.08.2013 , 09:09 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Mounds View Post
...im leveling a sith assasin and i choose willpower to be highest over endurance

Depends. If you want to tank your way to 55 then have the relevant tanking stats with shield/def/absorb, if you plan on DPS-ing up until 55 then avoid all defensive stats and go straight for willpower (crit/power/surge doesn't matter until you get to 55 really).

If you choose to be DPS, make sure you uncheck the tanking role in the group finder queue.. or do so when you hit your lvl30's cause it can be quite a pain having people fill out roles that aren't right for their chosen gearing and stats.

cxten
11.08.2013 , 12:22 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by SDconqueror View Post
I went over this assumption just the other day with a guild mate. We also concluded that 34B mods > 31 mods, at least for powertech tanks. Haven't checked with the other tanking classes but I assume this is also valid for Sins.

Enhancements on the other hand, become debatable... Need someone to analyze the swtich from UW to 78 comm enhancements.
For UW enhancements to 78 comm enhancements: If you want shield (i.e. if you have any shield augments you can swap out), this is favorable. Each piece will gain you 31 endurance and 9 shield, and lose you 10 absorb or defense, which is a better exchange rate of + endurace for - mitigation than the mod, as long as you can offset the extra shield.

If you're at your shield cap with just your 10 pieces of gear, you have to do a bit of work. Here goes:

You can go play with http://syngex.net/tankstats/index.php to see how much this will change your mitigation. Put in underworld best in slot (presumably the starting point we're taking) and your favorite class, hit submit, and check what stats it shows for the fight you're interested in. Then start trading multiples of 10 absorb/defense for multiples of 9 shield. See what the gap in dtps is, and compare that to 10*endurance/[length of fight in seconds]. (Here 10*endurance is the gain in health.)

Trying this for juggernaut (the class that wants the least shield), and only looking at the average over all of DF/DP: Changing 7 enhancements from UW BIS to 78 comm in just about any fashion increases dtps by 9. To compare, you gain 31*7*10 = 2170 health. You'll have taken this amount extra damage at the 2170/9 = 241 second mark (on average), i.e. 4 minutes and 1 second. Make of this what you will.

(A conclusion of sorts: If you're a juggernaut and only care about minimizing the number average damage taken over the whole fight (averaged over all fights) minus your total health, you somewhat narrowly won't take 78 enhancements over UW enhancements. If you're any other class, you will.)

If you care about specific fights or different classes, do something similar.

DarthObelisk
11.09.2013 , 12:39 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by tourck View Post
Kestion....How do I get my stuff up like that?
please link or spell it out for me... i do casual stuff with the game, but i aspire to be a complete shut in and game snob that will eventually speak down to people as if they are complete morons for not understanding the statistics and formulas for this game. Thanks guys and gals!
its all about stacking the right stuff in your gear as well as having the set bonuses with it even if upgrade from a say 69 armor set piece to a non set 78 armor. In my opinion your hurting yourself by losing the set bonus. The two piece set bonus for the shadow/assassin tank is an additional 5% shield rating. You add that into your Kw or DW and it buffs it 20% (15% from the KW or DW and the 5% additional from the set bonus)

You really have to min/max everything for the shadow/assassin tanks I have almost all my augments in absorb with only 2 i believe that are shield rating. You will spend a lot of time looking at the gear and ripping that one mod or that one enhancement out of the oricon gear. I made absorb/shield rating my top priority when i was looking at gear. Don't worry if a piece of gear doesn't have that much endurance on it. Endurance is good but absorb and shield rating is far better.
Also being in a active guild that has members that are geared up for the new ops which takes place on the planet of Oricon help also.
Jedi Sentinel 70 Jedi Consular 70 Jedi Shadow 70
Gunslinger 65 Commando 50

Imperial Agent 65 Sith Assassin 70 Sith Sorcerer 70
Sith Warrior 70
Mercenary 70

DarthObelisk
11.09.2013 , 12:41 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Mounds View Post
If your going for tank then yes
Jedi Sentinel 70 Jedi Consular 70 Jedi Shadow 70
Gunslinger 65 Commando 50

Imperial Agent 65 Sith Assassin 70 Sith Sorcerer 70
Sith Warrior 70
Mercenary 70