Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Synthweaving] What is the point?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Synthweaving] What is the point?

abercromb
10.31.2013 , 05:33 AM | #11
Must admit I too made a lot of money of Synthweaving and I am sure I still could do ok as I have hundreds or recipes including 95% of all the orange schematics. But it's slow going now days and I would not recommend anyone else spending the time and money to learn it, not with nearly everyone wearing Cartel armour.

Gloomycakes
10.31.2013 , 05:59 AM | #12
It's quite a smart move in my opinion to keep Augments and the other part of the Craftingskill split up. Like this you get motivated to either roll an Alt (and logically spend more time playing their game and seeing more of their content) or promote the economy. Either way you'll have to pick between Slicing and Underworld trading unless you have alts.

My advice:
Spoiler
"How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate your condition is not permanent. You're lucky, too. Red eyes suit so few." ~Cheshire

studiablo
11.02.2013 , 11:27 PM | #13
Unless I am missing the obviuous, how do I transfer products between my charecters then?

tdoyle
11.03.2013 , 01:07 AM | #14
you can send them to other toons by mail

tdoyle
11.03.2013 , 01:17 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by abercromb View Post
But to answer you main question, Synthweaving What is the point?

The answer is not much at the moment. Unless you are hell bent on crafting your own green or blue gear as you level other crafting skills are better value. Just buying the recipes as you level it will cost you close to 500k. The materials you will need take a lot of missions or gathering. Then you have the various extra costs for items needed when crafting anything. The augments are a bonus but pretty much everything else is a money sink and you can do better with other skills.

For value for money most people pick Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy. Craft your own reusable stims, medpacks and stat boosts. Saves you a fortune at higher levels.

Then for money making now days it's Cybertec, scavaging, slicing. That's for all your mods and armourings you will need for all that cartel orange gear everyone wears (it's also why people don't buy much synthweaving crafted items).

I could go on but you get the idea. At this stage of the game the skills to make your own green,blue,purple armour and weapons are money sinks with only the augments these skills have making it tempting at all. So just buy the augments from all the money you make from gathering and cybertec, that is until you have a lot of money and won't miss the odd million.
this guy said Cybertec, scavaging and slicing whys that if I am not mistaking you can only make green mods and
armourings not blues

Stormskimmer
11.03.2013 , 01:58 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by tdoyle View Post
this guy said Cybertec, scavaging and slicing whys that if I am not mistaking you can only make green mods and
armourings not blues
Like with hilts from artifice, barrels from armstech, or augments from the other professions, you can reverse engineer the green mods and armorings to learn a blue version. You can then reverse engineer the blue version to get purple quality mods and armorings.

Further, for some of the lower end game mods and armorings, you can reverse engineer to have a chance to learn those. I think the 30 and 31 level things can be reverse engineered currently.

studiablo
11.03.2013 , 06:46 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by tdoyle View Post
you can send them to other toons by mail
Obvious, cheers bro. Look me up in the game world.

abercromb
11.04.2013 , 06:13 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Stormskimmer View Post
Like with hilts from artifice, barrels from armstech, or augments from the other professions, you can reverse engineer the green mods and armorings to learn a blue version. You can then reverse engineer the blue version to get purple quality mods and armorings.

Further, for some of the lower end game mods and armorings, you can reverse engineer to have a chance to learn those. I think the 30 and 31 level things can be reverse engineered currently.
At everything apart from when you get to max level the blue recipes you learn from reverse engineering the greens you have crafted are better value. The differences between Blue and purple items are often pretty small, for augments I believe it is only 1 or 2 points to every stat, so almost nothing. The purple materials you need to craft purple items are almost always pretty expensive to buy or difficult to get yourself. The one exception to this is the cloths for Underworld trading used in synthweaving recipes. These are often dumped on the GTN at very low prices. People have far to many of them as you get them at the same time as the metals that are in high demand from running underworld trading missions (not the normal ones but the one time use missions).

hkratkyz
07.31.2015 , 12:23 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by abercromb View Post
(1) Roll a new character in a class you may be tempted to level further later on
(2) Level that character to 16 (about a day)
(3) Use your new ship with it's storage to travel to the space station with your 2 companions
(4) Select 3 different crew skills
(5) Send companions on missions or crafting
(6) Repeat 1 to 5 until you have every possible crew crafting skill and various gathering skills.
(7) Join the rest of the community in advising people to create alts as crafting has no level cap and you need multiple characters to get what you need unless you buy from the GTN.

With only having 2 companions it would take a long time to level the crew skills up.

MSchuyler
07.31.2015 , 10:26 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by hkratkyz View Post
With only having 2 companions it would take a long time to level the crew skills up.
Then don't worry about it. You're talking to people with many different toons apiece. Many of us have at least one toon for every crafting skill and multiple toons with the same gathering and mission skills. Mats are not a problem. Schematics are not a problem because somewhere in this mix they all drop and get sent back and forth between toons by mail.

Your perspective is different, of course. Depending on how you evolve in playing the game it may change, but right now, indeed, Synthweaving makes no sense. But we didn't know that originally. There's not anything wrong with what you are doing or your perspective, but you have to realize many people are playing the game much differently than you are. Crafting can be a rewarding experience for those who get into it. Some players don;t like it at all, and that's okay, too.
In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience. -- Oscar Wilde