Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Synthweaving] What is the point?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Synthweaving] What is the point?

telmeoneagain
10.28.2013 , 06:35 PM | #1
What is the point of giving Synthweaving the skill to make Augments when they can not get the materials to craft them? The only way to get the mats is buy them at very high prices and a lot of players do not have that kind of creds to spare.
h_use_the_force

Maestrodomus
10.28.2013 , 07:14 PM | #2
You realize you can pick up Slicing?
Dark Fury [Canderous Ordo]

telmeoneagain
10.28.2013 , 11:59 PM | #3
yes but then I would have to drop one of my other gathering skills and not be able to Synthweave I would have to drop Underworld trading as archeology is needed to craft augments.

if augments were made differently from skill to skill and say synthweaving augments needed rare metals or cloth to make instead of slicing only then it would be better for the game.
h_use_the_force

telmeoneagain
10.29.2013 , 12:13 AM | #4
Also why have Synthweaving go to lvl 55 when at lvl 51 I would have to stop to craft augments? if I wanted to swap back to synthweaving I would be starting Underworld trading at 1 again and that is something I will not do no matter what Bioware do unless they make it so we can swap skills and get them back at the lvl we discarded them.
h_use_the_force

dancezwithnubz
10.29.2013 , 12:38 AM | #5
you mean to say that not one of your characters has the Slicing crewskill?

i have three characters.
all three of them have slicing.
between them, they also have BioChem and Cybertech and all the necessary materials collection skills. i'm forever posting materials or sliced mission discovery sheets back and forth between 'toons.

if anything, I'm tempted to make a Synthweaver myself, purely for the purpose of crafting Augments & kits. the Luxury Fabrics market is swamped with materials (last time I checked).

Fidelicatessen
10.29.2013 , 02:32 AM | #6
Sometimes, in order to craft the bestest stuff, you are going to have to work with others.

Or make an alt.

abercromb
10.30.2013 , 03:24 AM | #7
(1) Roll a new character in a class you may be tempted to level further later on
(2) Level that character to 16 (about a day)
(3) Use your new ship with it's storage to travel to the space station with your 2 companions
(4) Select 3 different crew skills
(5) Send companions on missions or crafting
(6) Repeat 1 to 5 until you have every possible crew crafting skill and various gathering skills.
(7) Join the rest of the community in advising people to create alts as crafting has no level cap and you need multiple characters to get what you need unless you buy from the GTN.

abercromb
10.30.2013 , 03:40 AM | #8
But to answer you main question, Synthweaving What is the point?

The answer is not much at the moment. Unless you are hell bent on crafting your own green or blue gear as you level other crafting skills are better value. Just buying the recipes as you level it will cost you close to 500k. The materials you will need take a lot of missions or gathering. Then you have the various extra costs for items needed when crafting anything. The augments are a bonus but pretty much everything else is a money sink and you can do better with other skills.

For value for money most people pick Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy. Craft your own reusable stims, medpacks and stat boosts. Saves you a fortune at higher levels.

Then for money making now days it's Cybertec, scavaging, slicing. That's for all your mods and armourings you will need for all that cartel orange gear everyone wears (it's also why people don't buy much synthweaving crafted items).

I could go on but you get the idea. At this stage of the game the skills to make your own green,blue,purple armour and weapons are money sinks with only the augments these skills have making it tempting at all. So just buy the augments from all the money you make from gathering and cybertec, that is until you have a lot of money and won't miss the odd million.

psandak
10.30.2013 , 11:38 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Fidelicatessen View Post
Sometimes, in order to craft the bestest stuff, you are going to have to work with others.

Or make an alt.
This^

Armormech and Armstech (the two other skills that craft augments) have the same "problem."

My first character was and still is a synthweaver (19 months and counting). I took Arch and UWT to feed SW to craft gear. Then I discovered augments. At first I bought the sliced parts needed off the GTM, but I ended up making a second character. He was and still is an armormech. Since UWT on my SW covered the advanced materials in AM as well, I went with Scavenging and Slicing. Two characters that could craft gear and augments for each other...perfect .
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Maestrodomus
10.30.2013 , 01:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by abercromb View Post
But to answer you main question, Synthweaving What is the point?

The answer is not much at the moment. Unless you are hell bent on crafting your own green or blue gear as you level other crafting skills are better value. Just buying the recipes as you level it will cost you close to 500k. The materials you will need take a lot of missions or gathering. Then you have the various extra costs for items needed when crafting anything. The augments are a bonus but pretty much everything else is a money sink and you can do better with other skills.

For value for money most people pick Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy. Craft your own reusable stims, medpacks and stat boosts. Saves you a fortune at higher levels.

Then for money making now days it's Cybertec, scavaging, slicing. That's for all your mods and armourings you will need for all that cartel orange gear everyone wears (it's also why people don't buy much synthweaving crafted items).

I could go on but you get the idea. At this stage of the game the skills to make your own green,blue,purple armour and weapons are money sinks with only the augments these skills have making it tempting at all. So just buy the augments from all the money you make from gathering and cybertec, that is until you have a lot of money and won't miss the odd million.
It can be a pain at times, but personally, I've maid a couple hundred million off of Synthweaving.
Dark Fury [Canderous Ordo]