Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dread Council Raptus issue

10.28.2013 , 04:57 PM | #1
Hey guys,

Little problem here with Raptus. All the mechanics are understood, we have a mobile rDPS kiting him.... but with great difficulty. We tried it with a hybrid lethality/engineering, and on another attempt, a merc (arsenal).. but they always seem to lose aggro when they need to avoid raptus's red circle AoE which you can imagine, causes chaos.

Considering there are 2 phases when a DPS need to do this.. it makes hard to progress. Now I've heard that having a hybrid tank is a possibility. Any other way?

This is for 8m SM by the way. People are generally geared 72+ so gearing isn't the problem.

Thanks a bunch

10.28.2013 , 05:08 PM | #2
Our gunslinger was able to kite Raptus just fine. Make sure that the person who kites Raptus does not have a guard, and that your other DPS are attacking Raptus last; then this player will have built enough threat on Raptus by the time the other bosses are close to 50%.

Note that since 2.4.1, the bosses are no longer attackable before they jump down. Your rDPS will be able to put his dots on Raptus and then needs to do a lot of burst damage when he jumps down so that he immediately has the aggro.

In P3, you do not have to worry too much about losing aggro, because when your DPS clicks on the crystal, the boss will always stick to him.

10.28.2013 , 05:19 PM | #3
Jerba covered it well, but just a tip for your RDPS kiting them: after Raptus Smashes (looks like Inquisitor's Overload + Smash combined) it's ~3 GCDs until he'll do the purple cone AOE. Once they can time it well, they can actually stand ahead of Raptus, DPS for a few seconds as he'll just run up and pause to prepare for the cast, and then just run away as soon as the purple appears and they can get 20m+ before he finishes.

I've kited him as a Lethality Sniper and Pyro Merc and once I understood the pattern he became really easy. Have your Hybrid Sniper spec into Hit and Run and use it once Raptus begins to channel his cone attack for a nice boost, and have your Merc save Hydraulic Overrides for emergencies (really close to the red AOE) until they get the pattern down. Once the pattern is down, the Merc can use it to get really ahead of Raptus and throw in a few casted abilities for extra DPS. Same goes for your Sniper and Covered Escape.

10.28.2013 , 05:19 PM | #4
I've been kiting Raptus on my Lethality/Eng hybrid Sniper, and I have not lost aggro on him from any of the dps. One time I did lose aggro from a tank using an AOE taunt, make sure that's not happening.

If it's a dps, watch and see who exactly pulls the threat and make sure they're not opening up on Raptus too soon.

While you can't damage Raptus before he jumps down, I think you may still generate threat if you start attacking before that, I haven't checked the logs on that though.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

10.28.2013 , 08:32 PM | #5
While they can't damage him as much as some ranged classes, if you use a scoundrel/operative to kite Raptus they can do pretty much whatever they want and still not get caught. Damnable scamper!
~ Darth Decimal ~

10.28.2013 , 11:45 PM | #6
Another tip is that the tank on Bestia should be swapping to pick-up Raptus as soon as Bestia dies to relieve the rDPS who's kiting Raptus around. This assumes that Bestia is the first to be pushed to 50% in a SM run.

That results in the rDPS only having to kite for less than a minute.
Acuzel (Assassin DPS/Tank) Ivs (Operative Healer) Praeco (Powertech Tank)
The Imperial Order
The Shadowlands

10.29.2013 , 02:05 AM | #7
I kite this on my gunslinger, I usually drop him to around 80~85% by the time they've dropped the other 3 to 52%. With two of the other DPS guarded, the others don't really pull off of me. Though, I do tell them to use their aggro dumps liberally.
The Harbinger
Claimed - Thirteenth - Falver
<Phobos> is recruiting to fill in multiple raid groups. Apply at

10.29.2013 , 02:38 AM | #8
I typically do the kiting of Raptus. Best suggestion would be an Assault Vanguard/Pyro Powertech. They get taunt so they can keep Raptus on them no problem .

10.29.2013 , 11:10 AM | #9
A Hybrid Gunslinger can get Raptus down to 55% on his own in the same amount of time as the other bosses, using the following pattern (Havenít tried predotting):

Opening: When he jumps down, stand 30m south from where he lands, and put at least two of your dots on him.

1. When he reaches you, pop a def CD (through the phase alternate between Defense Screen and Evasion at this point. Ask your healers to always clean Death Marks from you, so you have Evasion available for avoiding Raptusí nasty melee attacks) then run through him, turning to the north. If available pop offensive CDs in preparation for your next Wounding Shots (you will cast them well within uptime of offensive CDs).

2. When he casts his conal attack, just run away from him straight ahead or use your roll (it will be available every second time). If you donít have your roll ready, you will still be able to reach the end of his telegraph by 2 meters or so by just running straight on.

3. The moment youíre out of his purple telegraph, channel Wounding Shots. If you have used your roll, youíll have enough time to put sab charge on him before or after (will be available in sync with the roll) as well. As he starts moving towards youÖ

4. Start refreshing your dots, while kiting him, strafing sideways and staying well out of the red circle. Donít bother clipping dots, you have no energy problems anyway and you want them up all the time! (Vital shot will use one of the Contingency Charges, if you applied Sab Charge after the roll).

5. As soon as his red circle disappears, pop one of your two Def CDs if available, turn around to face south, run through him, and go straight ahead to avoid his next conal attack facing south.

6. Wounding Shots, then cast your dots until he reaches you in the south.

If you can avoid it, donít drag Raptus through Tyrans: If Tyrans pulls you to him while Raptus has his red circle active, youíre history.

Also if Tyrans pulls you to him, the sequence listed above will unsync und you will have to improvise. But you can eventually come back to that pattern.

Good luck and have fun with that :-)
El'ethon (Sentinel) | Rickmyron (Gunslinger) | Alreegan (Sage) | Vayus (Guardian)
Dacs (Commando) | Troż (Vanguard) | Ianea (Shadow) | Craeg (Scoundrel)
<Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> <- Tank & rDD gesucht! Bewirb Dich! (T3-M4)
I'd be honored if you check my Watchman / Annihilation PVE Guide

10.29.2013 , 11:34 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TACeMossie View Post
I typically do the kiting of Raptus. Best suggestion would be an Assault Vanguard/Pyro Powertech. They get taunt so they can keep Raptus on them no problem .
Yup. Not that you need it though, since you can hang just inside 10m and do 90% of your rotation, with hydraulic override for emergencies and pyro's now-decent mitigation cooldowns.
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.