Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Once you marry your companion that's it?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Once you marry your companion that's it?

Raeln
01.24.2012 , 12:54 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Fujah View Post
But I'm not controlling the novels. Plus, I don't read romance novels.
I don't read "romance novels" just like this isn't a "romance game".

I've read nearly all the Drizzt novels, which have a metric ton of romance.

I've read all but the most recent Wheel of Time novels, which have a metric ton of romance (even multiple girlfriends at the same time).

I've read almost all of the Seeker novels which centers around Richard and Kahlan and their relationship.

^^^ those series are best sellers, have romances, are not completely centered around said romances, yet are extremely popular.

Fujah
01.24.2012 , 01:19 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
I don't read "romance novels" just like this isn't a "romance game".

I've read nearly all the Drizzt novels, which have a metric ton of romance.

I've read all but the most recent Wheel of Time novels, which have a metric ton of romance (even multiple girlfriends at the same time).

I've read almost all of the Seeker novels which centers around Richard and Kahlan and their relationship.

^^^ those series are best sellers, have romances, are not completely centered around said romances, yet are extremely popular.

I get that but its different when you're controlling your character and flirt with a fake fantasy character. Each his or her own I guess but it just seems weird.

originaltodzilla
01.24.2012 , 01:29 PM | #53
I'm not sure what they could do - how would Elara having kids work? I really don't want to be without a healer for my Trooper for 9 months (even in accelerated game time). Would that essentially mean that she is replaced from my crew?
Yeah, I think this would be hard to do, but if they some how pulled it off it would be epic! I mean it would be cool to see some kids in the corner of the ship playing or whatever. Also change C2-N2 to be a nanny so Elara can keep going out on missions.

Heck, then have missions where they are kidnapped and you have to go rescue them! (Bioware, you can have that one for free, but I may start charging for additional cool game content ideas LOL).

As far as being pregnant, I think she could roll with you for the whole time, but then they should make her unavailable for a certain duration where you'd have to use another companion (trying not to give a spoiler out, but it already happens once in the game). Once again conflict makes for a good story.

I'd be happy with some repeatable for emotional support (daily/weekly hugs), some different "phrases" for her to say while on the ship when you click on her and while she's in the field with you. Someone else suggested that she says, "honey, are you okay?" instead of "let me heal you" when targeting you. At the very least, please move her to my quarters in the ship and change her name from Dorne to my legacy name.
Yep, with Elara I totally think her standard responses should change to reflect a marriage/relationship. Changing the companion name text is another easy win. Of course programming wise they would still have the audio as "Elara Dorne" in speach and stories, but that's all good.

Aside from that - the crew should have some interaction. I can't believe Jorgan didn't have a dialog with me to "caution" me on having romance with Elara, a fellow officer in the squad. I could see Tanno having a dialog congratulating me (in typical military manner) on my "conquest". Either way - the other companions should react in some way to the romance as well.
I think this would be more difficult, but definitely do-able. I mean lets keep the voice actors and animators employed!!

Note: I don't want it to go so far as for her to start losing affection if she's not the one with me as my current companion though.
I think they would have to keep game play realistic meaning if in future content you need a different companion then she should be "fine with it". However, again a little challenge is good. Maybe you might lose some affection but then you can do a "romance" mission and get it back. Or the cheap way out and just buy gifts.

I also think affection should be like "social" and "force" levels. Meaning there should be an affection level 2, 3 etc.

Can you imagine though, if while running through Coruscant, she came off with a remark like, "honey - what would you think of getting an apartment here when we retire?"
Hey, this would be a cool response to the normal ones all the companions give. Like in when you first get to Coruscant, Aric says something about the scale of the city etc. I'm all for the subtle changes as well.

Raeln
01.24.2012 , 01:36 PM | #54
I get that but its different when you're controlling your character and flirt with a fake fantasy character. Each his or her own I guess but it just seems weird.
It's no different than those alternated ending novels that were popular some years ago. You know, those books where you made decisions and then turned to the appropriate page to continue the story based on your decision?

"Do you take the left path?", turn to page 32.
"Do you take the right path?", turn to page 67.

We make a multitude of decisions for our character, involving life or death or moral choices aplenty - why not romantic ones too?

Valsdad
01.24.2012 , 01:43 PM | #55
You are weird. You aren't controlling the character; you are selecting pre-written options within the existing story.

Not only that, but dude. Open your mind a little. Is an author weird when he writes about how his female character is enjoying sex?
Overtrebel, a right and proper scoundrel

KennethHoover
01.24.2012 , 02:32 PM | #56
It would be totally epic if kids or offspring could be part of the marriage.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

Raeln
01.24.2012 , 02:45 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by KennethHoover View Post
It would be totally epic if kids or offspring could be part of the marriage.
Yes it would - though is suspect not as epic as the task of making it happen under the game's hood.

Meira_Arirai
01.24.2012 , 03:09 PM | #58
I also would like to see the romantic interest move up to your quarters on the ship. Sorry, but Nadia and Elara are going to be in my guy's quarters, at least after marriage - I ain't making them sleep in the medical bay.
Doc's first post-marriage email to the female JK is entirely comprised of
Spoiler
Massani Legacy, Ebon Hawk
More early Star Wars geekery at KotOR/SWtOR

MandelynRain
01.24.2012 , 04:26 PM | #59
Well they do allude to future kids in the conversations and from the looks of it the letters from all of them, so maybe they do have plans for having kids in the future. I would be really interested to see how they integrate that with the female players.....I mean I can't see my SW 9 months prego flying at mobs and mowing them down... guess we will have to wait and see what they do.

Ranadiel_Marius
01.24.2012 , 04:36 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by MandelynRain View Post
Well they do allude to future kids in the conversations and from the looks of it the letters from all of them, so maybe they do have plans for having kids in the future.
Legacy system. Your alts are your children!....or padawan or apprentices etc.