Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Efficient Gearing

thasensei
10.24.2013 , 07:38 AM | #1
Since the tank classes effectively have two optimal gear builds, I thought it might be useful to consider the most efficient ways that we can build two different sets of gear.

I know some people were rather annoyed at the thought of having to carry around two sets of gear, but I think we can get pretty close to optimal numbers by just having one or two extra pieces.

Option 1 - switch your proc relic
Just changing from a defense proc relic to an absorb proc relic should shift your stats by 200+ points. This seems like a really easy way to shift back and forth. For VG/PT, would it be worth using a Shrouded Crusader (click shield/abs) relic since that would help accommodate for the huge swing in shield?

Option 2 - offhand and one other non-set bonus piece
If you create one of each of these with all absorb and all defense, that gets you between 218-280 points depending on which mods/enhancements you use.

Option 3 - augments
Double up on those items that are easier to get but that have static values. This includes wrist, waist, and earpiece. Maybe offhand and an armor piece as well, since you can get the mods from the wrist/waist tokens. This is obviously the most cumbersome method, but it might be a good option if you need a big swing in shield points.

Has anybody gotten to a point where they're starting to build two optimized sets? If so, what's working for you?

dipstik
10.24.2013 , 11:34 AM | #2
i carry a bunch of mods and enhancements to switch out, but i think once i run out of stuff to buy with ult comms, i might make an offhand and my 5th setbonus piece to switch out... thats still only 2 mods, 2 enhancements and 2 augments though... might be enough

KeyboardNinja
10.24.2013 , 11:59 AM | #3
Thus far, I've been gearing with the "average" profile, but I'm saving all my drops in a rapidly-filling bank tab. Also, I'm running out of things to buy with ultimate coms for my main toon, so I'm getting to the point where I'll start separating the sets. I did take a brief look at it a while back, and I don't think that just swapping two pieces is going to be enough, but maybe off-hand, off-piece and belt+bracers would do it. I'm not sure.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Grumpftard
10.24.2013 , 09:07 PM | #4
I set up my gear for the average stat spread, while making sure that the belt and bracers have all the defense (mods and augments) and have a duplicate pair with all absorb for when I need them for an absorb heavy fight.

I've thought about making an OH as well
But so far have not needed to do it. (currently 9/10 HM)

I definitely wouldn't go as far as to do an entire "full set" of gear to lug around, though.
although when NiM content releases...that might be a different story.
TORVA NEX! (The Site) (The Video)
"You don't have to say more than that!!"
Grumpf =Tankasin / G'rumpf =Mara / Gru'mpf =Jugg / Grum'pf =P-Tech
Grump'f =Shadow / G'rump'f =Scoundrel / Gr'umpf =Operative / Jei'Dahl =Merc

Evokid
10.25.2013 , 12:14 AM | #5
On my Sin I moved my 2 heaviest defence mods and enhancements and my 2 defence augments to my legs and belt (My legs are non-set) and I got a 2nd belt/legs(Thanks collections!) and put the heaviest Shield/Absorb Mods/Enhancements with 2 absorb augments in them.

Now all I have to do is swap those 2 pieces out. It helped that I had kept all the mods/enhancements I replaced along the way - all 72's no 69's. And am doing the same now with the mods for when 2.5 hits and I have to drop all B mods.

Liftedranger
10.28.2013 , 08:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Evokid View Post
On my Sin I moved my 2 heaviest defence mods and enhancements and my 2 defence augments to my legs and belt (My legs are non-set) and I got a 2nd belt/legs(Thanks collections!) and put the heaviest Shield/Absorb Mods/Enhancements with 2 absorb augments in them.

Now all I have to do is swap those 2 pieces out. It helped that I had kept all the mods/enhancements I replaced along the way - all 72's no 69's. And am doing the same now with the mods for when 2.5 hits and I have to drop all B mods.
Why do you think you'll have to drop your b mods. Due to going away from self heals?

Panzerfire
10.28.2013 , 09:37 AM | #7
Fortress
{3000,{defense->658,shield->1094,absorb->1247}}

Augments: 5 shield 9 rest.
270 defence after relics [Dread Forged Defence proc + Kell Dragon Defence proc].

Palace
{3000,{defense-> 249 ,shield->1256,absorb->1495}}

Augments: 10 shield 4 rest.
0 defence after relics, 1332 Absorb after relics [Dread Forged Defence proc + Dread Forged Shield Amplification].

My plan for Fortress + Palace NiM progression, I am tempted to drop some absorbtion, especially in Palace.
For relics I took 625 * 6/23 = 163, it's inaccurate but not too horrible. Although due to DR the effective defence rating is probably around 100-120 defence points, and there's the gamble of double proc instead of alternative procs with the double defence. And they may fix the relics on the 29th.

So yeah, difference = 5 shield augments and a 270 defence/absorbtion exchange.
Edit: Assassin tank.