Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher won't launch the game in Windows 8.1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Launcher won't launch the game in Windows 8.1
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Flowoftheforce
10.21.2013 , 06:09 AM | #1
Hey guys,

so I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 a couple of days ago, so I needed to download SWTOR again. Now, the launcher has fully updated itself and has been downloading the game until the 'playable'state (only starter planets). But the launcher won't open the game when I click play! I have tried compatibility mode, administator run, even looked up a couple of posts on this forum, but I can't find a solution! Can anyone please help? My account is now on game time card and I hate to have to waste more days.

Cheers!

Beesodd
10.21.2013 , 07:36 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Flowoftheforce,

Do you get a flash of black when you try to start? Have you tried the "delete BitRaider folder" step? If you haven't, close the game and launcher, open the main install folder and delete the BitRaider folder. Then restart the launcher and check if the issue persists.

If the game launches now, but you have a blanks server list, please check that your game and launcher don't have mismatched compatibility modes.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Flowoftheforce
10.21.2013 , 09:05 AM | #3
I have deleted the BitRaider folder and it changed nothing. I will describe what I saw before I deleted bitRaider.

Like I mentioned before, I started the launcher, let the game download until a playable state, then pressed play. Unfortunately, nothing happened. Sometimes The screen would go black for a short period just to put my computer into 800x600 resolution.

After I deleted BitRaider the launcher took a bit longer to verify the downloaded files. I clicked play again. this time, the game launched into a black screen where I could shortly see the windows circle loading, until that circle changed into the standard white cursor. Nothing happens after that. Again, I have to start the task manager, end the task (or sign out if it won't let me), and AGAIN, my screen is back to 800x600, which I have to change manually again.

What is going on guys? I don't have the best computer (I play on an ultrabook right now for the time being), but on Windows 8 the launcher spawned perfectly well into the game and character selection menu. game was playable on low settings. Why isn't it working now?

I hope you can help! Cheers!

Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi Flowoftheforce,

Do you get a flash of black when you try to start? Have you tried the "delete BitRaider folder" step? If you haven't, close the game and launcher, open the main install folder and delete the BitRaider folder. Then restart the launcher and check if the issue persists.

If the game launches now, but you have a blanks server list, please check that your game and launcher don't have mismatched compatibility modes.

Flowoftheforce
10.21.2013 , 09:07 AM | #4
Oh and by the way, no conflicting compatibility modes

Quote: Originally Posted by Flowoftheforce View Post
I have deleted the BitRaider folder and it changed nothing. I will describe what I saw before I deleted bitRaider.

Like I mentioned before, I started the launcher, let the game download until a playable state, then pressed play. Unfortunately, nothing happened. Sometimes The screen would go black for a short period just to put my computer into 800x600 resolution.

After I deleted BitRaider the launcher took a bit longer to verify the downloaded files. I clicked play again. this time, the game launched into a black screen where I could shortly see the windows circle loading, until that circle changed into the standard white cursor. Nothing happens after that. Again, I have to start the task manager, end the task (or sign out if it won't let me), and AGAIN, my screen is back to 800x600, which I have to change manually again.

What is going on guys? I don't have the best computer (I play on an ultrabook right now for the time being), but on Windows 8 the launcher spawned perfectly well into the game and character selection menu. game was playable on low settings. Why isn't it working now?

I hope you can help! Cheers!

Roalmo
10.21.2013 , 09:09 AM | #5
Did you redownload and apply the full DirectX 9, from the Microsoft site?

Beesodd
10.21.2013 , 09:18 AM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for the update, and all the detail given. It sounds like you have a screen setting conflict(the initial step was for a client corruption issue). Please take the steps below.

Spoiler

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Flowoftheforce
10.21.2013 , 09:58 AM | #7
Hey Beesodd,

thanks for the tip! It worked, luckily I know the game is not completely dead.

Unfortunately I have to address one big BUT:

I had to be extremely patient with the game loading in (small) windowed mode to even get to the ROTHC load screen, once there it took another loading eternity to get to character screen. Resolution changes don't seem to show much changes (at least in detail). I'm running the game in fullscreen (windowed) mode now. Surprisingly, once up, the game runs smoother than before (!). Consider that I play with an HD4000 Intel chipset.....

So, it got the game working, but it still takes seas of time to get there. Any idea why that might be?

Cheers!

Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Thanks for the update, and all the detail given. It sounds like you have a screen setting conflict(the initial step was for a client corruption issue). Please take the steps below.

Spoiler

Tismia
10.21.2013 , 01:05 PM | #8
I have the same problem. Windows 8.1 as well. All was working great until I logged out today, went to the store, started up the game and then ...well, bad stuff.

I have followed your instructions and have found that I can now ONLY play the game in windowed mode. Fullscreen is funny: My character is average size in the char screen, but the HUD (all of it) is teeny tiny and takes up the smallest fraction of the screen. Far smaller than anyone could possibly read.

Fullscreen (windowed), is not much better.

I do thank you for giving some ideas on how to fix the problems we're having. At least I CAN get into the game now. However, I detest 'window mode' oh-so-very-much. Could you provide more information on how to solve this further?

Pareidolia
12.14.2013 , 04:48 AM | #9
Beesodd, thank you so much! I was having the same issue and your editing advice fixed the game for me as well. Full screen and windowed all work for me.

loralial
12.14.2013 , 05:29 AM | #10
I have been having problems even signing into the game after this last update on 12-12-13. First off I open the game from my desktop, the Welcome, Login screen pops up and a red bar atop of those words say "The login service is currently unavailable. Please visit our forums for the latest updates on the status of this service." I can not put my name, password or anything else into the fields. But it works fine on my husbands computer. I am running windows 8 on my laptop. NEED A FIX I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER. Help please.