Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No space PvE in the forseeable future

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
No space PvE in the forseeable future

The_Grand_Nagus
10.20.2013 , 10:42 AM | #1
Although it has been confirmed that the Galactic Starfighter expansion will be PvP only, many people have speculated that this is simply a foundation to build on and that PvE content will follow.

However, a TOR podcaster recently attended the New York community cantina event and had a chance to talk with the devs on the subject. You can listen to the comments starting at 42:05, but here is a direct quote:

Quote:
I asked him about the possibility that the current, that Galactic Starfighter was designed with PvE in mind. He said no, it was not. That is far far far far far down on the wall of crazy, is PvE Starfighter. He said the biggest problems would be with scripting and 3D AI; things that they dont have in the game they would basically have to write fresh. The good thing about PvE is the good scripting. Getting the ability in at the right time makes it interesting and fun, but not unfair. You know, getting those enrage timers right. Getting like a DOT thrown out at the right time. Stuff that has to be done really well for PvE to work right. And for them to do that in space would be a lot of work. So problems with scripting and AI would be reasons that we wont be seeing PvE Galactic starfighter. So thats upsetting, I'm not happy about that, I wish that we could, but its understandable. And hopefully they make a good system with the Galactic Starfighter.
Here is a reply later in this thread from the podcaster:

Quote: Originally Posted by KingofGob View Post
As the podcaster in question I am confident in saying it will be years before we even have a remote chance of space PvE. Feel free to speculate as you will but they had a sizeable team working primarily on GS for a long period of time. They want to use those resources on other things for the time being.

So while they may change their minds and decide to build on the PvP-only foundation one day, that is not their current plan, and it definitely wont be any time in the foreseeable future.

***edit***

Now with coverage at massively.com:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/10...any-time-soon/
ALL YOUR LATINUM ARE BELONG TO ME

Lesaberisa
10.20.2013 , 10:47 AM | #2
Have to say I'm genuinely surprised to hear that (in a bad way)...really disappointed about this.
Finest mediocre fanfic this side of the Outer Rim:Trooper / Inquisitor

Light-years
10.20.2013 , 10:47 AM | #3
Well there goes my main reason for staying subbed for early access.

Ask for 3D space for years, devs take cheap way out, and then don't openly disclose that they have no plans of giving us what we actually ask for.

Thanks for saving me $15/mo.
Z'of Z'ipe
The Tempesta Legacy

EzioMessi
10.20.2013 , 10:58 AM | #4
Well, wow. This is like a big middle finger to the PvErs. I PvP and will certainly play GS, but it pisses me off to no end if they're not building on the foundation. Wow Bioware, please come out and tell us this is not true....
The Harbinger - The Raider Legacy
Attair - Level 70 Sentinel
If you like my comment, please click my referral link for free goodies for both you and
me: http://www.swtor.com/r/3XbB9h

ImperialSun
10.20.2013 , 11:07 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Grand_Nagus View Post
Although it has been confirmed that the Galactic Starfighter expansion will be PvP only, many people have speculated that this is simply a foundation to build on and that PvE content will follow.

However, a TOR podcaster recently attended the New York community cantina event and had a chance to talk with the devs on the subject. You can listen to the comments starting at 42:05, but here is a direct quote:

So while they may change their minds and decide to build on the PvP-only foundation one day, that is not their current plan, and it definitely wont be any time in the foreseeable future.
But in you other thread you also said this is not anywhere near a credible source...then you edited your post.

Just how much of a **** stirrer do you want to be?

Driz

testpatter
10.20.2013 , 11:09 AM | #6
Yah, its a bummer but not really a surprise as the engine they have would probably blow up if they tried to do PvE in space. Someday, someone will make it happen it just might not be Swtor. In the meantime I'll keep playing, being silly and swinging around a light saber

ObiJuanShenobi
10.20.2013 , 11:13 AM | #7
I expect PvE'er to be patient regarding this. Anyone with a brain would know that it will eventually go PvE, as PvE players encompass the majority of the population.

I will say this, PvP in this game has gotten the shaft in a major way since the very beginning with nearly every content update leaning to PvE. We finally got Arenas and it is a step in the right direction but more love is needed.

With the release of PvP space combat, I think this will put PvP where it needs to be for now. Considering the fact that nearly every content update is PvE, not getting space combat out of the gate shouldn't be a big deal.
The Lightstrider Legacy

Darth Crucious I Darth Imperius I Master Darkstrider I Master Liam Lightstrider I Captain Evie Lightstrider I Agent Morran Lightstrider I Major Tanken I Nikro, Hired Gun

The_Grand_Nagus
10.20.2013 , 11:17 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ObiJuanShenobi View Post
I expect PvE'er to be patient regarding this. Anyone with a brain would know that it will eventually go PvE, as PvE players encompass the majority of the population.
Like I said in the OP, that may happen eventually. But based on what they said, it wont be any time in the foreseeable future. So realistically speaking, people might as well forget about space PvE.

ObiJuanShenobi
10.20.2013 , 11:24 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by EzioMessi View Post
Well, wow. This is like a big middle finger to the PvErs. I PvP and will certainly play GS, but it pisses me off to no end if they're not building on the foundation. Wow Bioware, please come out and tell us this is not true....
If you take this as a big middle finger, then you have got some problems.

1) If they say that it's too much work to pull off in the near future, then it is what it is. What do you suggest if they can't pull it off? Just don't release the PvP version so the PvE'ers will be happy?

2) You have endless amount of PvE content to play. Deal with it, you will get space PvE eventually.
The Lightstrider Legacy

Darth Crucious I Darth Imperius I Master Darkstrider I Master Liam Lightstrider I Captain Evie Lightstrider I Agent Morran Lightstrider I Major Tanken I Nikro, Hired Gun

The_Grand_Nagus
10.20.2013 , 11:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ObiJuanShenobi View Post
Deal with it, you will get space PvE eventually.
Maybe, but since it wont be any time soon people might as well just forget about it