Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Slicing] Chance of crit bugged??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Slicing] Chance of crit bugged??

ozrique
10.17.2013 , 12:58 AM | #1
Greetings,

I know this issue have been talked about in the past but please just hear me out, because either I am 1) doing something wrong 2) more unlucky than Donald Duck or 3) right, this thing is bugged.

Since the patch of 2.0 I noticed that it was a lot harder for my Jedi Knight companion to bring back crit items from slicing missions. In comparison with 1.x it was ridiculously low. After patch 2.0.1 some folks seemed to have gotten the issue solved, but I felt I got the same return rate. In July I really started to become irritated and started editing a text-document to keep track on things, putting a note when my companion actually brought the regulators back.

From the 15th of July to the 17 of October the mission "Unsliceable?" have critted twice and I have received 8 Thermal Regulators in total. I have sent T7-01 with 10000 in affection gain out for this or some other slicing tech parts mission every day at least one time, more often two times.

So 94 days with 2 critted returns - is that normal? What am I missing here? Some friends of mine gave up on trying to do slicing missions as they never, ever got the crits, others don't see what I am talking about cause they're doing so well. I realize this is all random, but statistically wise I must be VERY unlucky right?

BIG_M
10.17.2013 , 01:54 AM | #2
Would love for you to post your recordings and how many missions you did each day as well if have been documenting would be an interesting read and would provide evidence to back up your claim for when a dev see's this.
Harbinger Midian
Arach Allrianne
Krezlarz
Tarhi

ozrique
10.17.2013 , 04:23 AM | #3
You are absolutely right. Unfortunately I just noted whenever I actually got the drop, rather than the times I didn't but I am taking your advice and will actually document it from. Thank you for your input.

morfius
10.17.2013 , 05:55 AM | #4
I have 6 (soon 8) of them on constant run of Unslicable mission.
1 of 6 (some of them with +crit, all with 10k affection) brings TR most of the cases, some cases 2 of 6, rare cases 3 or 0 from 6.
GTN is flooded with TRs, prices drop often bellow 16k per one... only way to get at least 15k per one clear is to craft augments and rely on crits there.
So I suppose it is not wide bug or there is other reason why some players report so low results.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

ozrique
10.17.2013 , 06:52 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by morfius View Post
So I suppose it is not wide bug or there is other reason why some players report so low results.
That is exactly what I am thinking. Some of my friends reports TR drops on a similar ratio like you describe, while others - myself included (insert qq here) - next to never get them at all.

It would be interesting to know how the random generator works, if it functions on the client or the server side. If it is on the client side I guess more things can go wrong but I don't know..

Jae_Kazai
10.17.2013 , 03:20 PM | #6
I'm starting to notice this as well on my Slicer, it's been over 1.5 stacks of grade 9 materials without any crits so my augment production has halted completely over this.

psandak
10.17.2013 , 04:27 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ozrique View Post
Greetings,

I know this issue have been talked about in the past but please just hear me out, because either I am 1) doing something wrong 2) more unlucky than Donald Duck or 3) right, this thing is bugged.

Since the patch of 2.0 I noticed that it was a lot harder for my Jedi Knight companion to bring back crit items from slicing missions. In comparison with 1.x it was ridiculously low. After patch 2.0.1 some folks seemed to have gotten the issue solved, but I felt I got the same return rate. In July I really started to become irritated and started editing a text-document to keep track on things, putting a note when my companion actually brought the regulators back.

From the 15th of July to the 17 of October the mission "Unsliceable?" have critted twice and I have received 8 Thermal Regulators in total. I have sent T7-01 with 10000 in affection gain out for this or some other slicing tech parts mission every day at least one time, more often two times.

So 94 days with 2 critted returns - is that normal? What am I missing here? Some friends of mine gave up on trying to do slicing missions as they never, ever got the crits, others don't see what I am talking about cause they're doing so well. I realize this is all random, but statistically wise I must be VERY unlucky right?
That is a statistical anomaly.

I too usually send my companions on missions once to three times a day (most commonly twice: once in the morning and once in the evening).

In my experience, it is not a good idea to send the same companion on the same mission (or even on missions within the same crew skill) over and over and over. My own anecdotal evidence shows that doing so results in more completely failed missions than when I "mix it up." I do not know if it has any real affect or not, but for example on my smuggler (where I have slicing), i will send Risha (with her +1 crit to slicing) on a sliced part mission and when she returns I will send her out on a scavenging mission and send Corso on sliced parts instead. As the difference in crit chance is only 1% (for you it would be 2%), it is not as big a deal as you would think.

I also very rarely take advantage of the relog/change areas re-randomize the mission list "feature;" Whatever missions I get, I accept - if that means running grade 6 companion gift missions with several companions on a few characters, so be it (as I am usually leveling a new alt, I can always use the gifts ). The only exception I make is if I am going to change areas anyway. For example:
  1. character is on fleet
  2. I go to send companions on missions and the list of options is less than ideal
  3. but I am heading to a daily area anyway
  4. I will delay sending my companions out until I get to the daily area.
But even then I do not do that all the time.

There is also the "watched pot never boils" effect. Again, in my experience, it is when I feel I need a material the most is when the system gives me the biggest headache by not giving me what I want. But as soon as I break down and buy that material off the GTM, miraculously missions come back with that material in spades. For me, BA artificial microbes are the biggest offender for a while now; and my artificer used up all the Mytag crystals recently, I had a mission drought (including a single pass with three failed missions), as soon as I bought some off the GTM, I got three crits (not to mention the three uber cheap TH missions I found on the GTM and the two missions I got from slicing lockbox missions).

Lastly, as I so rarely use the purple materials (I almost exclusively craft blue quality items for sale), I have ample supply for when I do need them: I have two full stacks of TRs at the moment and 150+ Berylius (UT metal). If I do craft purples for sale, I make sure that I do not use too many purple materials so I always have enough to fulfill my own needs (or those of friends/guildmates).
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101

Ryenke
10.18.2013 , 11:20 AM | #8
Yeah, I keep seeing many people say this is not bugged, but my experience tells me otherwise.

What is the crit success rate supposed to be? From other types of missions and crits I get, I guess 1 or 2 crits per 10 missions.

For thermal regs, my average is 1 crit success in approx 100 tries - At about 200 tries early on, with this lousy return rate, I stopped. Now occasionally I send a full affection +2 slicing companion on the mission unsliceable a couple of times a week (I do make augments, so can use the mats -even if it is cheaper on GTN, I figure I'm giving myself the potential, low as it has been for me, for thermal regs to be returned). In the last approx 100 missions over 3 months or so I have had 1 more crit success.

Is it bugged? I think it is for some people. But, I guess we will never know.

morfius
10.21.2013 , 06:30 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryenke View Post
Yeah, I keep seeing many people say this is not bugged, but my experience tells me otherwise.

What is the crit success rate supposed to be? From other types of missions and crits I get, I guess 1 or 2 crits per 10 missions.

For thermal regs, my average is 1 crit success in approx 100 tries - At about 200 tries early on, with this lousy return rate, I stopped. Now occasionally I send a full affection +2 slicing companion on the mission unsliceable a couple of times a week (I do make augments, so can use the mats -even if it is cheaper on GTN, I figure I'm giving myself the potential, low as it has been for me, for thermal regs to be returned). In the last approx 100 missions over 3 months or so I have had 1 more crit success.

Is it bugged? I think it is for some people. But, I guess we will never know.
Crit rate for gathering is calculated from mission color 10 - 20%, 10 000 affection +5%, companion crit bonus +1 or 2%
I don't remember color of Unclicible on 450 skill ... so it has to be between 10% and 27% per each try (percentages are not summable) ... as I have wrote once I have most of the time 19% spread over 6 chars.
Now have 8 ... let see is it going to change for good or those 2 more will go to test mission discovery luck.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

morfius
10.21.2013 , 06:40 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
That is a statistical anomaly.

I too usually send my companions on missions once to three times a day (most commonly twice: once in the morning and once in the evening).

In my experience, it is not a good idea to send the same companion on the same mission (or even on missions within the same crew skill) over and over and over. My own anecdotal evidence shows that doing so results in more completely failed missions than when I "mix it up." I do not know if it has any real affect or not, but for example on my smuggler (where I have slicing), i will send Risha (with her +1 crit to slicing) on a sliced part mission and when she returns I will send her out on a scavenging mission and send Corso on sliced parts instead. As the difference in crit chance is only 1% (for you it would be 2%), it is not as big a deal as you would think.

I also very rarely take advantage of the relog/change areas re-randomize the mission list "feature;" Whatever missions I get, I accept - if that means running grade 6 companion gift missions with several companions on a few characters, so be it (as I am usually leveling a new alt, I can always use the gifts ). The only exception I make is if I am going to change areas anyway. For example:
  1. character is on fleet
  2. I go to send companions on missions and the list of options is less than ideal
  3. but I am heading to a daily area anyway
  4. I will delay sending my companions out until I get to the daily area.
But even then I do not do that all the time.

There is also the "watched pot never boils" effect. Again, in my experience, it is when I feel I need a material the most is when the system gives me the biggest headache by not giving me what I want. But as soon as I break down and buy that material off the GTM, miraculously missions come back with that material in spades. For me, BA artificial microbes are the biggest offender for a while now; and my artificer used up all the Mytag crystals recently, I had a mission drought (including a single pass with three failed missions), as soon as I bought some off the GTM, I got three crits (not to mention the three uber cheap TH missions I found on the GTM and the two missions I got from slicing lockbox missions).

Lastly, as I so rarely use the purple materials (I almost exclusively craft blue quality items for sale), I have ample supply for when I do need them: I have two full stacks of TRs at the moment and 150+ Berylius (UT metal). If I do craft purples for sale, I make sure that I do not use too many purple materials so I always have enough to fulfill my own needs (or those of friends/guildmates).
Most of your conclusions are just wishful thinking, there is no dependence of failure related to using same companion (done when it has + crit or any available with 10k affection if not have one), but if you use those with + efficiency they tend to fail less.
I have good example comparing character at level 15 with Treek and main companion only (using Treek as CS one) and ones with full squad on 10k (but no + crit in list) - Treek tend to fail less than others due to +5 efficiency even she is on constant Unclicable grind.
Watched pot boiled so many times for me that I can tell it wishful also.