Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why does the empire get the best accents???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why does the empire get the best accents???

Nickious
10.08.2013 , 06:00 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ralphieceaser View Post
stuck with some generic boring wannabe rambo voices(bounty hunter included)
How dare you call Steve Blum generic and boring.

Fantazm
10.08.2013 , 06:41 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Yasac View Post
I wonder how the actual british people feel about this. Do they get really bored with playing imperials? Like aww I did not buy this game to hear this again!
Couldn't care less.

GalacticKegger
10.09.2013 , 12:32 AM | #13
Goes all the way back to Lucas' New Hope, where the empire characters were typecast with British accents - most notably Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin.
Peace out . . .

Diefenbaker
10.09.2013 , 01:22 AM | #14
Male BH to me sounds like he likes taters. A lot.

I also like taters.

Thus I play male BH.
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

"Paranoia is the byproduct of being consistently right."

Drudenfusz
10.09.2013 , 02:11 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by UltimateKrucible View Post
Hmmmmm...

Go watch the original trilogy. All the imperials have British accents, all the rebels are American, cept Obi-Wan.
Sure, but for me that was because the core worlds speak British and the fringe speaks American, it wasn't about their affiliation with a political group that made them speak one or the other... so I would have liked it to see it the other way around in SWTOR, that the Republic speaks British while the Empire speaks something else, people on Tatooine and other fringe worlds still could have American accents.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Lana Everhope - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Shadow Tank on The Red Eclipse
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

CKHelseth
10.09.2013 , 02:12 AM | #16
It started with Irvin Kershner in Ep. V. He wanted the Empire to speak with British accents and the Rebels in American accents. Before that it was mainly the result of casting Peter Cushing, who came to define the Imperial officer and filming most indoor scenes in the UK with local actors as opposed to a grand plan or theme thought up by Lucas.
Guild Leader - Solatium (Imp)/Pandalorians(Pub)
Maren - Sniper Krysar - Juggernaut Catface - Starfighter

AlexDougherty
10.09.2013 , 03:13 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by UltimateKrucible View Post
Hmmmmm...

Go watch the original trilogy. All the imperials have British accents, all the rebels are American, cept Obi-Wan.
Wrong, most of the Imperials are British, not all, and most of the Rebellion is American, but there is the odd British rebel not Just Obi Wan, although as one of the most Famous British actors of his Generation, he on his own is enough (yes I saw the roll eyes).
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

AlexDougherty
10.09.2013 , 03:16 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Cernow View Post
Brits always get to play the baddies in Hollywood movies, so it's an extension of that really. And yeah, I love Bertie Carvel's male Imp Agent, totally sells that character and one of the best voice overs and storylines in the game.

It's noticeable that whilst the Imp Agent, Sith Inquisitor and Sith Warrior voices are all Brit, both the male and female Bounty Hunter voices are American. Perhaps this is because they are more neutral in the storyline and not part of the Empire.
That's because Baddies have to sound intelligent, well usually. Hero's on the other hand can have dumb luck. Seriously though, could you imagine Tom Cruise try to play the Baddie in Die Hard, he just couldn't pull off the Intelligent Menace needed for the role.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

MikdiBoken
10.09.2013 , 03:56 AM | #19
I wonder how the actual british people feel about this. Do they get really bored with playing imperials? Like aww I did not buy this game to hear this again!
As an actual British person I very much enjoy being the evil badguy with the fancy accent.

It reminds us of the good old days when we used to rule the world...
Lieutenant Commander Maximilian Boken, Imperial Navy Starfighter Corps
The Shadow Covenant

LingBa
10.09.2013 , 03:58 AM | #20
We rather like it old boy, it's a state of mind more than anything. I don't understand how you Seppos enjoy being typecast as Republic scum?
Living Legend; Imperial Diehard; Republic Diehard; Master Craftsman; Galactic Hero
55s: Sentinel (x2); Guardian Dps; Shadow Tank; Gunslinger; Vangurd Tank; Marauder; Juggernaut Tank; Sorcerer Healer; Powertech Tank; Mercenary Dps; Sniper
WiP: Operative Healer; Shadow Dps; Scoundrel Healer; Assassin Tank