Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Let Bounty Hunters and Troopers use pistols AND rifles!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Let Bounty Hunters and Troopers use pistols AND rifles!

Kelleth
10.19.2013 , 09:26 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Saregon View Post
I would love to just be able to use a rifle on my commando without being penalized or ridiculed by my peers.

I like the playstyle WAY better than vanguard, but hate the required weapon type!
I have leveled and succesfully played a Commando with a rifle, if you are a good player, the damage difference is not going to make a difference =)
I am a none-violent person, until I see a spider, then I turn into Al Capone, and I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! And I want his house BURNED TO THE GROUND!

Whifi
10.20.2013 , 07:29 AM | #12
Something I was thinking of is having a blaster rifle classified as a pistol. So for all extents and purposes, the item is a pistol but it uses a rifle model and is held like a rifle. If the class is a dual wielding class, the 2nd weapon disappears completely and as far as anyone is concerned the character is just holding a rifle.
This could also apply to lightsabers: have a single-bladed lightsaber model as a double-bladed lightsaber and vice versa. Or a rifle which uses a pistol model and animations, etc, etc.

For example:

Compact blaster
Binds on Equip
Ranged Main Hand
X - Y Damage (Rating X)

<Insert Stats here>
Requires Weapon Proficiency: Blaster Rifle
And uses the model and animations of http://www.torhead.com/item/7PRbHwa/...on-interceptor, for example.

So you could have an operative with a pistol, even though he has a rifle equipped (rifle with pistol model and animations)
A mercenary with a rifle even though he's dual wielding pistols (pistol eqquiped with rifle model and animations. 2nd pistol disappears)
A jedi guardin with a double-bladed lightsaber even though he has a single bladed saber equipped, so on and so forth.

This way, classes don't need to have any balancing tweaks done to deal with damage offsets to cater for guardians using double-bladed sabers or powertechs using rifles and so on
'The ability to think does not make you intelligent, now get out of here.' Qui-Gon Jinn
[|]/\/\/\[]{}[_]]}||{}||{(||]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Creslan
10.21.2013 , 01:41 PM | #13
Adaptive Weapons. Just make an adaptive weapon that changes its base damage according to class.
That way Vanguards or any class could equip an assault cannon, pistol or sniper rifle but would still do the base damage of their class weapon.

midianlord
10.21.2013 , 10:24 PM | #14
I'd love to see this --but the fact is, this game's class/skill/talent system is too "rigid" to allow for it, even leaving aside the money/person-hour costs required for coding the animation changes.

I know --I'm going there, and you can't stop me, so:

Deal with it.

But, if we had a skill system similar to games like SW: G or EVE-Online --no one player is "locked into" any one thing, and can change things up, it just needs time-- then, yeah: My Mercs would be able to fulfill some of their contracts by sniping the mark down from 1km away, and I would smile.

It may seem somewhat backward at first glance --weapons, in this game, are fundamentally "stats-sticks," no more-- but at the same time, the from of those stat-sticks is pretty much locked in vis-a-vis certain aspects of class-balance, especially between the mirrors.

(Just as an aside, didn't Boba Fett --the ur-Powertech, UIVMM-- use a rifle, or at least a carbine, at some point? The EU literature has numerous examples if him sniping some of his marks with a sniper's rifle, too.)
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler

Elyx
10.23.2013 , 04:12 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by midianlord View Post

It may seem somewhat backward at first glance --weapons, in this game, are fundamentally "stats-sticks," no more-- but at the same time, the from of those stat-sticks is pretty much locked in vis-a-vis certain aspects of class-balance, especially between the mirrors.)
Actually the only class that really uses its weapon for stats only is the sage/sorc. all others have skill damage based on weapon damage. if you switch out your weapon for a lvl 1 green its quite easy to see. and some are more dependent on it then others...a guard/jugg is very dependent on weapon damage as an example.

On the subject, I'd love to see more flexibility. The first time I saw the cannon and fell in love with it i though to myself, "that is a cool tank class!" I was quite disappointed to find out that the healer got the cannon! I assumed that such a massive weapon was for the tanky class...I would prob roll a vanguard if i could use the cannon.
"I just hit 50 and finished my class storyline, but I still haven't been able to decide which AC to choose. Leveling solo as a warrior wasn't difficult, so I kept putting off the decision.
Anyone else having the same problem? "~ lagerhat - And who says warriors are broke?

jedimasterjac
10.23.2013 , 04:28 PM | #16
I'm all for being able to do this outside of combat. As an RP'er, I'd love for my Agent to have a pistol, my trooper to use a Sniper, in RP situations. However, in PvE/PvP, that's not so viable. My suggestion would be allowing us to equip whatever but only use what our classes can. This is probably an awful idea, but hey, worth a shot.
Quote: Originally Posted by Koozebane View Post
This isn't a couple of goobers out for some kicks. This is organized large team warfare by a single guild in a PVE zone.

CrazyOldMystic
10.23.2013 , 06:58 PM | #17
Sentinels and Marauders having a double bladed lightsaber would be very nice indeed. I would love to use a rifle on my commando but cant due to some abilities requiring the assault cannon. Outside of combat or in the same problem comes to light balance.

For this to work, and let full customization apply, they would have to put in a generic damage mechanic for adv class weapons. Meaning if say a sentinel chooses to use a lightsber, and not two, the mechanic would have to double the damage to equal two lightsabers. Also their is physics from the talent tress involved such as the off hand does not hit as hard as the main hand.

Basic realistically I could see this working for all non force user classes. The reason for this animations. They would have to come up with double bladed, single lightsaber animation for each sentinel attack. Just using the sentinels as an example. Same thing if a shadow decided to use two lightsabers. For force user classes it gets a whole lot more complicated. For non force user classes I could realistically see that happening.

Kelleth
10.24.2013 , 03:32 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyOldMystic View Post
Basic realistically I could see this working for all non force user classes. The reason for this animations. They would have to come up with double bladed, single lightsaber animation for each sentinel attack. Just using the sentinels as an example. Same thing if a shadow decided to use two lightsabers. For force user classes it gets a whole lot more complicated. For non force user classes I could realistically see that happening.
They already have that(mostly), Equip Kira with a Single Blade and see all the doubleblade animations convert to the single blade.
Not sure about shadow with 2 sabers though.

Also, for this to work(Purely damage wise), the weapon layout had to look like this:
Vanguard/Powertech: Single Pistol/Blaster Rifle(They have the same stats)
Commando/Mercenary: Sniper Rifle(With stat stick in secondary)/Assault Cannon(With stat stick in secondary)/Dual Pistols.
Scoundral/Operative: Single Pistol/Blaster Rifle(Again, same stats)
Gunslinger/Sniper: Dual Pistols/Sniper Rifle(With stat stick in secondary)(Assault Cannon would just be silly)
Sentinel/Marauder/Shadow/Assasin: Dual Sabers/Doublebladed Saber(With stat stick in secondary).

Guardians and Juggernauts with a doublebladed saber would increase their damage, as it has higher damage by default, of course, they could add lower damage doublesabers for them, which would be a very good thing.

And I would just like to note that, I like more weapon options for the classes, the more customization the better =)
I am a none-violent person, until I see a spider, then I turn into Al Capone, and I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! And I want his house BURNED TO THE GROUND!

CrazyOldMystic
10.24.2013 , 04:17 PM | #19
Agreed my point is that it would take a great deal of development to pull this off. Its not as simple as swg where you had one talent tree for all Force users.

Ecaja
10.24.2013 , 10:35 PM | #20
I would love to use a Blaster with my Agent. When i am running around knifing people, it always seems to unwieldy to use a rifle, even if i started to think more of it as Shotgun.

Likewise, if Mercs would get a Rifle, i probably would have picked Merc instead of Powertech.

As for lightsabers.. i'd kill for a single blade lightsaber that counts as doubleblade, so i can be a singlebladed Shadow without gimping myself.