Custom Chat Channels Broken?

snowwolfjacob

I've had this issue for quite a long time concerning a custom channel that my guild uses for IC communications over long distances, like a comlink frequency. I was not the one who created the channel, but the channel creator did grant my character moderator rights to it.

As people came and went, I saw that they were still in that custom channel, so I used the command to remove them, /ckick <channel name> <character>. I'd get a notification that the person had been removed from the channel and thought that it worked. Until that person logs off and I get a notification saying that they had left the channel I had removed them from. So, I do the /list <channel name> command to see who was in there, and the list never comes up. So to try another command I use /channellist to see what custom channels I'm currently in just to check if THAT works, and again nothing comes up.

Has anyone else been running into these problems? Or perhaps found a way to fix this? I can't really tell if this is a client-side issue or if this is something to do with the game itself. Any help would be appreciated!

-EDIT-

Thanks to whoever moved the thread. Didn't realize this would've been a Bug Report.

Edited by snowwolfjacob
Noticed thread moved.

• Dev Post

Hi there snowwolfjacob,

Welcome to the Bug Report Forum, and thank you for the detailed account of what you're experiencing. We have a couple of lingering issues with custom channels in the Chat Window, but this is not one that I'm familiar with.

Can you tell me if the /list <channel name> works properly for you in all other channels? You seem to indicate the /channellist does, but can you confirm that as well?

:ph_cheers:

...So, I do the /list <channel name> command to see who was in there, and the list never comes up. So to try another command I use /channellist to see what custom channels I'm currently in just to check if THAT works, and again nothing comes up.

Has anyone else been running into these problems? Or perhaps found a way to fix this? I can't really tell if this is a client-side issue or if this is something to do with the game itself. Any help would be appreciated!

-EDIT-

Thanks to whoever moved the thread. Didn't realize this would've been a Bug Report.

I can confirm that the /list <channel name> has never worked for me, since launch. I'm currently in 2 different custom channels with multiple toons, and I have never gotten it to display who is actually in either of those channels. It will list which channels I'm currently in, but doesn't list the number of players, or the names of those players.

Yeah, all the commands for custom chat channels are not working, and have never been working since 1.0. The only commands that work successfully are /cjoin and /cleave.

Other commands like /cinvite, /ckick, /mod, /password etc. show the correct alert boxes and messages in chat, but they are not functional; nothing happens. In case of /list, the chat only says "Members of the ... channel:" but does not list any player names. /channellist just says "Current channel list:" but does not list any channels either.

This bug has been reported as early as 1.0: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=18411.

I always assumed that the developers do not want certain players controlling the chat channels. For example, we have a custom LFG channel with easily 200 or more concurrent players on our server; it would not make sense to have that channel restricted.

While I would appreciate if you either fix the commands, or remove the incorrect chat messages, please be careful about it. If anything, chat channels should only have password-restrictions as long as the first player stays online, or you need put some mechanics in place in case that player who has admin power stops playing.

Edit: And while your at it, please move the log in/log out messages for custom chat channels into a different chat message category, so that we can either deactivate or recolor them. We have players entering and leaving the LFG channel every second, which is quite distracting. Currently, these messages are sorted under system commands, and it is not an option to turn off system commands since they also display important boss mechanics and loot information.

Edit 2:

I have not been able to confirm this 100%, but I am fairly certain that you can only be in up to 3 custom channels at once. If you enter a fourth channel, you stay in that channel, but as soon as you log out and log back in, you only rejoin the first three channels. It seems like the game can only remember up to three custom channels per character.

Nvm, scratch the Edit 2. I was able to join up to seven custom chat channels (after which it gives an error message that you reached the limit), and the game remembered all of them when I logged back in. Not sure if this was changed since I first experienced it or if I am confusing something.

Edited by Jerba

I can confirm what the above posters said regarding the custom chat commands not working. The chat interface is still in beta state, it's dishearteing that they haven't really done anything to fix it.

It would certainly be nice to see Bioware dedicate a patch a chat interface overhaul/fixes that fixes all the bugs and issues with the chat interface, makes /emote and /yell work cross faction as promised way back at the guild summit (and possibly /tell , /whisper and all other chat, too) and finally adds a toggle option for chat bubbles/overhead chat text for /say, /yell and /emote channels as promised again and again since beta and launch.

Edited by Glzmo

Yeah, all the commands for custom chat channels are not working, and have never been working since 1.0. The only commands that work successfully are /cjoin and /cleave.

Other commands like /cinvite, /ckick, /mod, /password etc. show the correct alert boxes and messages in chat, but they are not functional; nothing happens

Actually, this is not entirely true. They do work if you /create <channelname> when the channel is first made. We've tested and confirmed this. The creator of the channel can grant moderator rights, you can set a password, and kick people.

Actually, this is not entirely true. They do work if you /create <channelname> when the channel is first made. We've tested and confirmed this. The creator of the channel can grant moderator rights, you can set a password, and kick people.

Ah, thanks for the response; I learned something new! :) I created our channel with a /cjoin command, so I guess that's why no one has any rights in that channel.

Does the creator of the channel keep his rights after logging out? Are they transferred to a different person?

Edit: After further testing, I can confirm that the commands /cinvite, /mod, /unmod, /mute, /unmute, /password and /ckick are working correctly when you first create a channel with /create or /cjoin, and I kept my rights when I logged out and logged right back in. I wonder why it's not working in the LFG channel then. There. the chat shows the same response as if the command had worked, but nothing happens. Maybe you could add more error messages so that we know why the command failed (e.g. "Only the channel creator can invite/moderate/kick players.").

By the way, /list and /channellist are always broken; they never show any players or channels.

Edited by Jerba

Ah, thanks for the response; I learned something new! :) I created our channel with a /cjoin command, so I guess that's why no one has any rights in that channel.

Does the creator of the channel keep his rights after logging out? Are they transferred to a different person?

Edit: After further testing, I can confirm that the commands /cinvite, /mod, /unmod, /mute, /unmute, /password and /ckick are working correctly when you first create a channel with /create or /cjoin, and I kept my rights when I logged out and logged right back in. I wonder why it's not working in the LFG channel then. There. the chat shows the same response as if the command had worked, but nothing happens. Maybe you could add more error messages so that we know why the command failed (e.g. "Only the channel creator can invite/moderate/kick players.").

By the way, /list and /channellist are always broken; they never show any players or channels.

I have created two fairly large and used chat channels, one with /cjoin and one with /create on two different characters, the character who used /create can still moderate, invite, mute, password, etc but the one that used /cjoin can not. No idea why or at what point it breaks.

Please disregard my earlier posts; they were not true. Custom chat channels are working better than I thought.

I have nailed down the bugs to the following:

1) The commands /cinvite, /lock, /unlock, /password, /ckick, /ban, /unban, /mod, /unmod, /mute, /unmute, /moderate and /unmoderate can only be used by the creator of the custom chat channel. However, when other users try to use these commands, they are not being shown an error message that only channel creators can use them. Instead, the chat displays as if the commands went through while doing nothing.

2) The /list command never shows the users in the channel. Instead, it just displays "Members of the ... channel:" but does not list any users.

3) The /channellist command never shows the chat channels of the user. Instead, it just prints "Current channel list:" without listing any channels.

In any case, there are a few suggestions in this thread regarding the chat (distracting log in/log out messages, cross-faction emotes) which I hope you consider implementing as well.

What I still don't understand is what happened to our LFG channel; specifically who now is the channel creator, if anyone is it at all. But since it is meant to be a public channel, I guess it doesn't matter as long as no one abuses the rights.

Edit: After further testing with other players, I now know that the chat channels are reset after every maintenance (server downtime), and the first player to log in after the maintenance will receive the creator rights for the channel, and he will keep the rights until the next maintenance (even when he logs out or leaves the channel with /cleave and joins it again later). Note that he has those powers on all of his characters of the same faction, so if he switches to an alt, he can still use the mod commands. This clears up a lot of my confusions.

Edited by Jerba

Hi there snowwolfjacob,

Welcome to the Bug Report Forum, and thank you for the detailed account of what you're experiencing. We have a couple of lingering issues with custom channels in the Chat Window, but this is not one that I'm familiar with.

Can you tell me if the /list <channel name> works properly for you in all other channels? You seem to indicate the /channellist does, but can you confirm that as well?

:ph_cheers:

Sorry if there was miscommunication, but /channellist does not work, neither does /list <channel name>. I'm in two different channels, and neither of them have those commands working. And from the responses given since I had made this thread, it's looking like the situation with custom channels is worse than I actually thought.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This is still bugged, infact, they're not working at all now, even for new chat channels using /create like they used to. I've lost control of fairly large intraguild channel and it's a really annoying.

All of the chat channels are working as intended; only the /list and /channellist commands are broken.

The past days, chat in general was buggy, so what you may have encountered maybe was related to that but it should no longer occur.

There is a minor bug where the channel join messages are no longer displayed upon login, I talked about it here.

Note that you only have control over a channel while there are players inside it. If there are no players online in the channel during the night or in the morning, you will lose control over it and the first player to enter it (by logging in or by /cjoin) then has control over the channel.

I wrote a guide with detailed information on how custom chat channels work; you can find it here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm sorry for disagreeing with you; you are 100% correct. I just tested the chat channels with a guildy and there is a new bug introduced with 2.7.1.

To summarize, this is the current list of bugs with custom chat channels:

• Since release (1.0), the /list and /channellist commands are not working at all
  • Since release, when using commands like /cinvite or /ckick you don't see an error message when they failed. The chat displays as if everything worked correctly, but nothing is happening. (Example: you should get an error message like "Only the channel creator is allowed to do this.")
  • As of 2.7.1, you can no longer see who is inside the channel when you first join it or are logging in (link)
  • As of 2.7.1, the player who created a character does not receive creator rights. Therefore, he cannot use the /cinvite, /ckick etc. commands

Edited by Jerba

. If there are no players online in the channel during the night or in the morning, you will lose control over it and the first player to enter it (by logging in or by /cjoin) then has control over the channel.

This isn't good functionality though, and I wonder if this is even intended behavior, not many people would make a chat with the intent of losing all ownership during the night.

It would be much better if the game remembered who the owner was as long as somebody has joined within the past 5 days or so.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
I have terrible luck with custom channels. I've made 3 over the course of a few months getting my guild organized but to no avail. There's one channel that would kick everyone out after a few weeks of being established. My superior officer had to remake them for me, but whatever he does, they stick. I just saw this thread, and I'm inclined to believe you do need to use /create to establish admin, I got bumped up to moderator (not sure what good that will do me, but I got it). He's also the first one on Tuesday mornings to set invasion, so that may be the reason he still has admin access. We don't need to do anything as elaborate as enforcing moderator permissions, but with my recent history, just keeping the channel secure and functional seems to be a feat I have yet to master. Thank you for the latest summary of bugs, I have heard of some of those issues a few times and I don't doubt you guys did your homework, you guys are awesome!