Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Good Healers are hard to find


Prototypemind's Avatar


Prototypemind
10.06.2013 , 10:21 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
I understand it all being about teamwork. I get that. There is not single point of failure more glaring, and open than that of the heals position. Heals are the cornerstone of every mmo that has been. and will ever be.
Sorry, you're completely off here. Shortcoming in all roles are glaringly evident in high-level FPs and OPs. When DPS is barely making a dent in the boss and you know enrage is on the way or that the adds are going to be up for way longer than they should, etc, you're gonna have a bad time. When the healer isn't using abilities efficiently, planning ahead for known high-damage phases, standing in lovely puddles, etc, you're gonna have a bad time. When the tank is causing LoS problems, doesn't utilize proc'd buffs correctly, not geared correctly, etc, you're gonna have a bad time.

Some of these issues pop up across all roles. Bottom line is ONE person being off in high-level FPs can be more than a pain. ONE person being off in any role in endgame OPs can cause complete wipe over and over. All of these issues are exactly why I almost never pug it up on my alt-tank; it's just not worth the headaches.

Helig's Avatar


Helig
10.06.2013 , 11:33 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I just don't like healing. I always fear that I might be doing something wrong.
The pressure to be a "good" healer is high, nowadays.
Defeatist much?
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

metalfenix's Avatar


metalfenix
10.06.2013 , 11:41 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I just don't like healing. I always fear that I might be doing something wrong.
The pressure to be a "good" healer is high, nowadays.
I can handle the heal pressure just fine, but the tank role is by far the most complicated and delicate of the 3, one has to know the battles beforehand, and lead on every frigging fight, and I'm not godd at leadership lol.

And about healers, well, we can't do miracles, we can heal though stupidity, but only to a point. If you insist on standing in cademimu's last boss fire time, and time again, don't expect a H2F any soon.
Koltowolf'Raf Commando Healer / Raf'HiredHealer Mercenary Healer
Rafa-el Scoundrel Healer
Server: The Harbinger

taxidermis's Avatar


taxidermis
10.06.2013 , 05:29 PM | #24
From perspective of someone who has levelled 2 tanks and 3 healers, and who also dps'es. If say most healers are pretty decent at 55. Good tanks are hard to find, Good dps are a rare jewel. Most raids I've been in that face consistent wipes have been from enrage timers. Most wipes I see in fps is when tank loses aggro and the trash mobs the healer. Not saying bad healers don't exist. Saying that most common probs at endgame are shared, most often dps issues or standing in crap. I was called a crap healer today by a guild group in colic pod on last boss cause they wouldn't move out of fire. Told me a real healer would keep them up. They are now on my ignore list.
Ashtor'aa, deception assassin, 55
Speresia, immortal juggernaut, 55
Ashterra, engineering sniper, 55
Hedriah, shield spec pt, 55
Hedr'a, arsenal merc, 55
Deadly Obsession

Hedra, gunnery commando,55, Guild leader-(The Grand Army of the Republic)
Rubix, Vanguard Hybrid, (The Grand Army of the Republic)

Begeren Colony veteran and proud! Never leaving!

Jeweledleah's Avatar


Jeweledleah
10.06.2013 , 07:18 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
I understand it all being about teamwork. I get that. There is not single point of failure more glaring, and open than that of the heals position. Heals are the cornerstone of every mmo that has been. and will ever be.
and again, I disagree.

because in personal experience of doing group content on all 3 roles as well as general observation... many a time when wipe is blamed on a healer, its actually anything BUT a healer's fault.

the reason why people tend to blame healers is because healers are supposed to stop you from dying, so a lot of people mistakenly extend that to "death=not being healed enough"
but I will repeat it again. healers can only do so much.

I cannot heal you when you LoS me, I cannot heal you when you don't interrupt debuff that should be interruptible and the resulting dot ticks faster than I can heal, I cannot keep healing you if you keep standing in cleave you shouldn't be standing in, puddles of bad, and I most certainly cannot heal you if you fail to avoid one shot mechanic. I cannot heal faster then my GCD will allow me to, I cannot compensate for everything.

healers are an important part of trinity mechanic (which btw is NOT used in every single MMO that ever was or will be, that statement just shows how inexperienced you are), but they are NOT significantly more important than the rest of the group to the point you seem to be trying to make. tanking and dps failure are JUST as apparent and glaring and crucial to people who know how to analyze encounters beyond "I died, must be healer's fault"

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
10.06.2013 , 11:07 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
Healers are force multipliers. The more people they have to heal the more obvious it gets as to how skilled/unskilled they are. The effectiveness of your group is 100% dependent on that healer and what they can do to keep the group surviving.
You really make your team look bad with your comment, I do not want to bore you with math, but your opinion would suggest that your group of 8 players is made of 8 healers, or you expect your 2 healers to do 100% of work carrying the rest of the team.
Is there nothing the rest of the team can do to chip in to that 100% dependency?

knauercas's Avatar


knauercas
10.07.2013 , 03:59 AM | #27
I find this statement the best one I read so far!!

A healer can only do so much. I'm healer sage, healer trooper, healer scoundrell I like healing. It is true that a healer can compensate for any one's fault. But we cannot compensate if tanks keep targets together. or basically if the group doesn't know the mechanic of the fight. we cannot compensate that we have to heal everybody constently. I hate it when people say it's healers fault stop blaming them and look at yourself first. are u doing max damage? (are u sure) are u using your defensive cooldowns to maximize damage reduction in a fight. are u taunting the right target. Are u killing the right target.
People think that only healers and tanks are important but DPS also. LEARN YOUR CLASS for god's sake.
if u don't know how to maximize your damage/second for like 6 min. long. your just playing for fun and shouldn't even try HM's !!!

at least that's my point of view.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
and again, I disagree.

because in personal experience of doing group content on all 3 roles as well as general observation... many a time when wipe is blamed on a healer, its actually anything BUT a healer's fault.

the reason why people tend to blame healers is because healers are supposed to stop you from dying, so a lot of people mistakenly extend that to "death=not being healed enough"
but I will repeat it again. healers can only do so much.

I cannot heal you when you LoS me, I cannot heal you when you don't interrupt debuff that should be interruptible and the resulting dot ticks faster than I can heal, I cannot keep healing you if you keep standing in cleave you shouldn't be standing in, puddles of bad, and I most certainly cannot heal you if you fail to avoid one shot mechanic. I cannot heal faster then my GCD will allow me to, I cannot compensate for everything.

healers are an important part of trinity mechanic (which btw is NOT used in every single MMO that ever was or will be, that statement just shows how inexperienced you are), but they are NOT significantly more important than the rest of the group to the point you seem to be trying to make. tanking and dps failure are JUST as apparent and glaring and crucial to people who know how to analyze encounters beyond "I died, must be healer's fault"

Lord_of_Mu's Avatar


Lord_of_Mu
10.07.2013 , 05:08 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by metalfenix View Post
I can handle the heal pressure just fine, but the tank role is by far the most complicated and delicate of the 3, one has to know the battles beforehand, and lead on every frigging fight, and I'm not godd at leadership lol.

And about healers, well, we can't do miracles, we can heal though stupidity, but only to a point. If you insist on standing in cademimu's last boss fire time, and time again, don't expect a H2F any soon.
The first tanking run through new content is always a fox trot on egg shells. I find knowing my class and how to use cooldowns / interrupts is more than half the battle for any flashpoint. Running away from things also helps.

As for healing it comes down to a matter of the limitations, mechanics, gearing and skill of the healer. Some healers can provision for certain degrees of "special" that others cannot.

I'm still trying to find a less clunky medium on my commando healer. I was thrown into Czerka labs with a dps that excelled at killing himself. The tank was pretty damn good and I felt bad that I let him die because I was too busy trying to heal the dps standing in the electro-charged water of doom. But hey, I hit the cooldown and gear limitations of my commando and reality came crashing down.

In other words, I really should have stopped after I blew everything I had and just switched to the tank.

Talimar's Avatar


Talimar
10.07.2013 , 08:59 PM | #29
I can't heal through stupid.
"We're merging you with US servers. Your gameplay experience will be abysmal, but you'll have higher populations!"
"But we play at entirely different times."
"Doesn't matter. Our metrics will show higher populations."

midianlord's Avatar


midianlord
10.24.2013 , 07:52 PM | #30
It's nice to know that it's not just me being a "bad" at (Merc-)healing.

Granted, I am still very new to this sort of thing, and quite probably need a lot of l2p-time (any advice here would be appreciated by the way --soloing with a geared Blizz just isn't the same, although he can be quite the little beast once you gear him up), but:

I am a hard-caster-healer:

I have neither the GCDs nor the cast-times --and in the Merc's case, the heat-- to spare spam-healing your stupid Sorc-DPS arse, and never being able to take my eyes off the tank for even a second because you refuse to kill adds, this after five/six encounters when you pulled first, kept pulling off the taunt, and then didn't even try to scrape the mobs off me when I drew aggro for....you know, healing.

Just repeat the mantra, though: It's always the healer's fault.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to R/DPS in group-content for now, thanks.
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler