Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How does a sage healer defeat the Corrupted Bothrium Beast on Oricon

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
How does a sage healer defeat the Corrupted Bothrium Beast on Oricon

cfcstl
10.03.2013 , 08:27 AM | #1
I finally gave up on this boss. I have tried everything I am used to using and cannot beat him. I ignore "obliterate" and interupt "extract" but when he uses "absorb", I cannot interupt it and he goes back to full health. It is not an issue of dieing, but I cannot get past his "absorb" . I have read this is a dps burst but for healer I don't see the mechanics working. I have tried Nadia and Cedrax , but neither is working for me.
If you are a sage healer and can beat him, please post some suggestions or rotations for this boss.
I know I can find a group, but this is supposed to be a solo mission.

Joronas
10.03.2013 , 10:12 AM | #2
Interrupt extract, kill the tentacle he summons on absorb (should take 1 project)

Or pop heroic moment if you have enough abilities for it and just burn through the entire thing

cfcstl
10.03.2013 , 11:15 AM | #3
Ok just to be clear, when he casts absorb, it spawns the tenacles and you must defeat the tenacle(s) before absorb finished or he heals?

cfcstl
10.03.2013 , 11:40 AM | #4
Thats the mechanic that you have to beat. I just beat the Beast and by defeating the tenacle before the cast finishes he won't heal and you can beat him down. I used Cedrax and stood back to view the tenacle spawn, hit tab and fired a project. Took a while but as long as you dont miss the tenacle, you have plenty of time.

Lasica
10.08.2013 , 06:52 AM | #5
The problem I had was not so much killing the tentacle etc, but it was that he killed my tank companion too quickly, faster than I was able to heal him.

KarmaForce
10.08.2013 , 12:22 PM | #6
A healer using a healer companion?

Hammamelis
10.09.2013 , 05:16 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Lasica View Post
The problem I had was not so much killing the tentacle etc, but it was that he killed my tank companion too quickly, faster than I was able to heal him.
Healer in general have a hard time with this boss - it took me three tries with my Operative, and he can solo the Oricon H+2 (with luck & careful positioning).

You may have to let your comp die, because healing him, yourself, interrupting 'Extract', recovering from 'Obliterate', and killing the tentacle on time may just become too much.

This boss can only be beaten by strictly following the fight mechanics:
interrupt all 'Extracts', kill every tentacle before he can sacrifice it, keep yourself bubbled against his attacks, and DpS him in between for all you're worth.

If you fail to do that, even Heroic Moment won't help, healing yourself, or your comp, means healing him, and eventually, you'll run out of health, force, or patience.

cfcstl
10.09.2013 , 07:42 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KarmaForce View Post
A healer using a healer companion?
Yes, I noticed the Beast doesn't hit real hard, but as you dps him, don't miss a tenacle or you start all over, so its more about being ready for the "absorb" and saving your "project" for the tenacle. It took me about 5-6 rotations before I got him down, but that seems like the best combination for a sage healer. This means that you need to gear Cedrax though, so he has decent healing, and use his healing stance.

KarmaForce
10.09.2013 , 10:29 AM | #9
Maybe its my gear, 72/78 and my tank comp's gear 69/72 but I'm missing the hard part. its just a cpl simple mechanics to deal with.

Put your tank in DPS mode if he is geared better than Tharan.

This is roughly how I do it iirc

opening attacks would be mindcrush, ROCK, disturbance, forceproject. If your cooldowns are long, keep either your ROck or forceproject off of cooldown.

Now the Beast will start to absorb so use your Main Interrupt.(forget its name) trick is to catch it immediately which is not hard.

Go right back to doing dps using the same attacks making sure you have one of those ranged insta cast attacks on cooldown.

Its also obvious when he summons a tentacle, so notice it and immediately kill the tentacle to stop the beast from absorbing health from it.

Just repeat that until he is dead.

I dont bother trying to avoid or stop that knockback, I just run back up to him and force sprint if im out of range.

cfcstl
10.09.2013 , 10:55 AM | #10
As Karmaforce just demonstrated, there is more than one way to beat the boss.
I would like to clarify a few technical points that I have observed.
The boss has three attacks.
Obliterate- this attack will push you back and can be interrupted BUT DON'T DO IT!
Extract- you will take damage from this and it lasts a long time so interrupt immediately.
Absorb- this is the tentacle spawn and he sends a beam to the tentacle with about a 5 second cast time. I don't believe anything happens during the cast time so you have time to target and kill the tentacle. As long as you kill the tentacle before the cast finishes, you should be good. After absorb finishes he seems to add about half is total health back. I would stand near Cedrax so I could drop my area heal when I had time, but I liked keeping the Beast targeted to follow his attacks.