Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR an exercise in disappointment. Can it be salvaged?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
SWTOR an exercise in disappointment. Can it be salvaged?

StarMagus
10.04.2013 , 06:18 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Marrius View Post
What is bizarre is your inability to grasp what I am saying. But it seems you are happy in your ignorance so why should I bother trying to educate you further. (I mean did you even bother to read in my OP about how and why companies switch from innovation to revenue focus? It seems you would rather use passive aggressiveness to derail the topic and create confrontation. If you want to discuss, offer ideas, if you want to fight go to the WZ )
I fully get what you are saying, I just think that you are wrong... and have I have proven where you were, or I don't like the ideas that you have put forward. I explained why I didn't like them and why I didn't think they were going to happen. Not thinking that somebody ideas are going to work is not the same thing as not understanding them. You don't seem to get that people can fully understand where you are coming from but still think you are wrong.

Quote:
One thing I hope you are aware of is there is a problem with a dwindling population and as much as you may love the game as is; it would seem you are in a shrinking minority. The fact that nobody other than you has posted shows that there is a general apathy about where the game is headed and that makes me sad.
There are a large number of MMO's out there and as more and more come online with working budgets the market realities are going to favor smaller scope but highly focused MMOs. I don't see another WoW all things to all MMO players type of MMO coming out soon unless something completely different hits it. That's what I feel is the biggest problem with your suggestion is that it expands the scope of the game in an attempt to be all things to all people.

That said, the last I looked the numbers for SWTOR had stabilized fairly nicely at just under 500,000 which isn't what they had hoped for, but was right around where they need to be to make money.

Quote:
So yes you can sit there and do nothing or yes you can ignorantly criticize my ideas but have you offered an alternative solution.... No. ...But hey, maybe you will turn it around and be of use here. I'm crossing my fingers.
I'm not sure why you put something on a web forum and then reacted with such anger when somebody disagreed with you about it. That seems crazy to me.

Marrius
10.05.2013 , 05:58 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MASOLIZ View Post
Ok I had respect for Steve Jobs but if you mean his movie with Ashton Kutcher(honestly don't mean to troll you here, and I apologize if that's how it seems) but I'm fairly young so there could be a biography I'm not aware of but if it is the Kutcher "Jobs" movie honestly? Ashton Kutcher with an intellect in a movie?? Haven't seen it cuz can't get pass that point, tho I will admit previews don't look bad. In reference to the Girradda(think that's how ya spell it way too early for me to be awake on my day off esp since I'm on C.S.T. this'll prob come across trollish so again sir apologize but I'm half asleep so hopefully you can sympathize a bit esp with my comp messed up and not being able to play for two weeks don't mean to make it a sob story back to the hut, "We who are about to die, salute you!"

Actually I still haven't seen the movie yet. The Biography is by Watson and I am guessing the movie is based on his book. I also make reference to the Lost Steve Jobs interview from 1985 (or was it 1995) If you do a search on Youtube I am sure you can find it.

Hope that helps.

Marrius
10.05.2013 , 06:02 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by StarMagus View Post
I fully get what you are saying, I just think that you are wrong... and have I have proven where you were, or I don't like the ideas that you have put forward. I explained why I didn't like them and why I didn't think they were going to happen. Not thinking that somebody ideas are going to work is not the same thing as not understanding them. You don't seem to get that people can fully understand where you are coming from but still think you are wrong.

There are a large number of MMO's out there and as more and more come online with working budgets the market realities are going to favor smaller scope but highly focused MMOs. I don't see another WoW all things to all MMO players type of MMO coming out soon unless something completely different hits it. That's what I feel is the biggest problem with your suggestion is that it expands the scope of the game in an attempt to be all things to all people.

That said, the last I looked the numbers for SWTOR had stabilized fairly nicely at just under 500,000 which isn't what they had hoped for, but was right around where they need to be to make money.

I'm not sure why you put something on a web forum and then reacted with such anger when somebody disagreed with you about it. That seems crazy to me.
1) you 've proven nothing
2)this is not about you stop taking it so personal.
3) If you really feel the need to be right here...fine you are right, I am wrong....next...

ZacharySosa
10.05.2013 , 08:32 AM | #14
1) you 've proven nothing
2)this is not about you stop taking it so personal.
3) If you really feel the need to be right here...fine you are right, I am wrong....next...
I've played since Beta and to be honest it's not very fun anymore for some of the reasons you listed. I've finished all the stories and.....well there isn't much to do. I'm not much of an OPS person and even then, the story content from those OPS is minimal. It's, pop in, 20 seconds of dialogue, fight boss. I don't mind doing HM 55's but that really only leaves dailies and PvP. I can only grind Reputation and Basic Comms so much to the point of me smashing my face against my desk multiple times. PvP has lost its enjoyability for me. This past week I logged in and played the arena's and I just felt that it didn't require very much teamwork as compared to 8v8 and now having to grind for a new tier of gear. But PvP and OPS isn't my focus. For me, story is everything and since launch there hasn't been any new story content in relation to our classes. And the only content they've added since launch has been the HK quest line, Makeb, CZ-198, and Oricon. And half of these are a joke. For CZ and Oricon its, go to fleet, talk to npc with very little dialogue, go to destination and do quest, 30-35 minutes later return to npc and....that's it. And I have a feeling that any new content they release is going to be like this. Bioware kind of trapped themselves in a corner. They raised the bar for MMo's to be fully voiced. So any new content they release is expected to be fully voiced and that's expensive. And a certain company is more than likely not willing to invest anymore money in this game. With the introduction of free to play and the cartel market, they are only getting as much money from the players as they can without actually listening as what players want. And i find its stupid, but its not stupid its a calculated decision, that they put forth the time to introduce new cartel packs but not fix bugs that have been in the game since launch. If you look at videos of what the Dev's wanted to do, just when they were sharing details about the game vs. where the game is now. Its very obvious to see that a certain company has made Bioware its......uh whats the word?

Marrius
10.05.2013 , 12:10 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ZacharySosa View Post
I've played since Beta and to be honest it's not very fun anymore for some of the reasons you listed. I've finished all the stories and.....well there isn't much to do. I'm not much of an OPS person and even then, the story content from those OPS is minimal. It's, pop in, 20 seconds of dialogue, fight boss. I don't mind doing HM 55's but that really only leaves dailies and PvP. I can only grind Reputation and Basic Comms so much to the point of me smashing my face against my desk multiple times. PvP has lost its enjoyability for me. This past week I logged in and played the arena's and I just felt that it didn't require very much teamwork as compared to 8v8 and now having to grind for a new tier of gear. But PvP and OPS isn't my focus. For me, story is everything and since launch there hasn't been any new story content in relation to our classes. And the only content they've added since launch has been the HK quest line, Makeb, CZ-198, and Oricon. And half of these are a joke. For CZ and Oricon its, go to fleet, talk to npc with very little dialogue, go to destination and do quest, 30-35 minutes later return to npc and....that's it. And I have a feeling that any new content they release is going to be like this. Bioware kind of trapped themselves in a corner. They raised the bar for MMo's to be fully voiced. So any new content they release is expected to be fully voiced and that's expensive. And a certain company is more than likely not willing to invest anymore money in this game. With the introduction of free to play and the cartel market, they are only getting as much money from the players as they can without actually listening as what players want. And i find its stupid, but its not stupid its a calculated decision, that they put forth the time to introduce new cartel packs but not fix bugs that have been in the game since launch. If you look at videos of what the Dev's wanted to do, just when they were sharing details about the game vs. where the game is now. Its very obvious to see that a certain company has made Bioware its......uh whats the word?
You hit it on the head.
In fact you are like many BioWare fans. We expect good story from them but it seems times they are a changing, sadly corporate well being outweighs creativity and innovation.

horrorfaneightys
10.05.2013 , 04:28 PM | #16
I can't comment on PvP or anything that involves working with other players as I only play PvE and solo everything. But the main reason I've started playing and subscribing is the Class stories - and the voice acting is what really sells it to me. It's so immersive, and much more enjoyable than the other MMOs I tried. The others, including WoW, seem kind of soulless to me, with all the NPCs seeming like cardboard cutouts . The fact that so many have voices and are individual characters in this game is what has kept me coming back for more.

Although at the moment my highest level toon is at 40, so I know I have a lot of content to get through before I run out of story to explore, I do hope that they add much more for me to do later on. That's what's going to keep me subscribing, and spending money in the Cartel Market in the long run.
Xaniata-kee, Morga-dar Li'lu-fei, Aiden-grey, Jadze

ZacharySosa
10.05.2013 , 05:38 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by horrorfaneightys View Post
I can't comment on PvP or anything that involves working with other players as I only play PvE and solo everything. But the main reason I've started playing and subscribing is the Class stories - and the voice acting is what really sells it to me. It's so immersive, and much more enjoyable than the other MMOs I tried. The others, including WoW, seem kind of soulless to me, with all the NPCs seeming like cardboard cutouts . The fact that so many have voices and are individual characters in this game is what has kept me coming back for more.

Although at the moment my highest level toon is at 40, so I know I have a lot of content to get through before I run out of story to explore, I do hope that they add much more for me to do later on. That's what's going to keep me subscribing, and spending money in the Cartel Market in the long run.
Oh no, believe me if they add more story content I'll be back very quickly.

MASOLIZ
10.06.2013 , 05:58 AM | #18
Actually I still haven't seen the movie yet. The Biography is by Watson and I am guessing the movie is based on his book. I also make reference to the Lost Steve Jobs interview from 1985 (or was it 1995) If you do a search on Youtube I am sure you can find it.

Hope that helps.
Never heard of those, only 23 here so that does help. I'll have to check that out

MASOLIZ
10.06.2013 , 06:14 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by horrorfaneightys View Post

All I gotta say is Nolan North, who I believe is the Jedi Consular voice. And a VoiceOver legend IMHO, I play mostly imp and deleted my mid lvl shadow then rerolled and have a lowbie sage now

Draekos
10.06.2013 , 05:31 PM | #20
You hit it on the head.
In fact you are like many BioWare fans. We expect good story from them but it seems times they are a changing, sadly corporate well being outweighs creativity and innovation.
It could be that or it could be the massive sub loss after people hit 50 for the first time and story was clearly not enough to keep people around.