Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.X "The Crafting Patch" - What Do You Want To See?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
2.X "The Crafting Patch" - What Do You Want To See?

Dawginole
10.02.2013 , 07:16 PM | #1
So let's pretend that there was patch focused on crafting. What kinds of QoL improvements would you be interested in seeing?

I'll throw out my biggest wishes:
1) The iOS/Android crafting app that was mentioned by a dev as being in the works almost two years ago that would allow for sending companions out on missions while on the go.
2) Some interface design changes. Like a Crew Management window that is a bit longer so you can quickly send out 5 comps without the need to scroll. Possibly allowing companion order to be adjusted in the menu so that you could stick that one companion with the needed bonus up at the top of the list.
3) Some additional droid components with crew skill bonuses since we are still missing a few.

What about you all?
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

Draekos
10.02.2013 , 08:12 PM | #2
Pretty much any actual crafting content would be better than we have seen since the F2P announcement. I have no proof, but it sure feels like the crafting team got hit hard with the layoffs. The 2.0 updates seemed like work done by an intern and most everything comes from the cash shop now.

Bleeters
10.02.2013 , 08:20 PM | #3
Rich yield tricopper flux missions.

Caelrie
10.02.2013 , 09:11 PM | #4
69 mods made with tier 9 crafting materials and the schematics on the trainers.

Dallayna
10.03.2013 , 10:12 AM | #5
A STREAK BREAKER!!!!!!!

Seriously, they have it for combat but why not for crafting missions?

As things stand people can, and do run HUNDREDS of Rich/Bountiful missions only to get one success for things like Thermal Regulators, Mytags and Beryllius. That. Is. Insane.

Come on, 66 mods aren't even T2 anymore! Why don't they fix it already?!

I Defeat Enemies Endless! Add Another!

SpiceShark
10.03.2013 , 10:47 AM | #6
*Hybrid augments that offer more variety to stats such as endurance/ main stat or main stat/ secondary stat.
*Similar gear for companions similar to sensor units the ship droids use for +crit +eff.
*Ability to send 6 companions on tasks.
*Image designer interface to re-assign or respec your crews crit/eff with crew skills.
*Stack crew missions on companions similar to crafting orders.
*Assign companions on resource gathering for mats to specific planets, similar to real time strategy.
*Higher percent on RE when performed in a specific designated place.
*Companion gift schematics, reusable gifts, crafted gifts.

Crew skills are broken, and if they launch a "crafting patch" they might actually nerf some aspects. Crew skill player base can't possibly compete with the Cartel Market in regards to time, resources and unlimited supply.

Redlyne
10.03.2013 , 12:17 PM | #7
*** The ability to stack resource mats to 999 instead of just 99 ***

It would free up so much inventory space.. lol

J'Axor

psandak
10.03.2013 , 02:19 PM | #8
*Hybrid augments that offer more variety to stats such as endurance/ main stat or main stat/ secondary stat.

Augments will become like enhancements, way too many possible combinations when only a handful are necessary. Sure, main stat and endurance, and defensive stat and power are not ideal, but they are functional. And you want to talk about "glass cannons?" Imagine what would happen if a DPS could forgo the endurance for power or crit or alacrity. No real need to imagine as every DPS already jumps at that.

*Similar gear for companions similar to sensor units the ship droids use for +crit +eff.
*Image designer interface to re-assign or respec your crews crit/eff with crew skills.

Could not disagree more. You might as well just give all companions a flat +crit and +eff similar to HK. And that would be far easier to implement. Yes, one of the pitfalls of leveling a character "blind" (not going to the web to see what companions a class gets and their crew skill bonuses) is choosing crew skills that your companions offer little to no significant benefit. But since it is easy to change crew skills, the only thing holding one back is time and credits invested (i.e. I know that some of my crew skill choices are not optimal - on my biochem sage I only get BC eff bonus from my ship droid - but I also know that if I truly want to optimize all I have to do is put in the time and credits to shift around crew skills).

*Ability to send 6 companions on tasks.

Unless more class story comes out with additional class story companions, I have to disagree with this as well. Yes with HK and Treek a character can now have eight companions and can only send five on missions. That means that if one is doing solo content there are two "idle" companions. But not everyone has HK and/or Treek (FYI I do have HK on two characters and can easily unlock him on the rest). This puts these players at a disadvantage.

Furthermore, only being able to send five companions out is a supply limiting factor. being able to send a sixth increases material and finished goods supply. I'm not saying this is a valid reason not to increase companion mission cap, but it is a factor to consider.

*Stack crew missions on companions similar to crafting orders.

OK sure, you can queue up all five missions available in the list (of one grade) so that one companion can run them consecutively. But oh wait, that leaves nothing for the other companions to run. That is unless you want to run lower grade missions. But I do not think this is what you intended. Based on my assumption of your intent, what you are asking for is not really feasible as it would require the abandonment of the random and limited nature of the mission list. And again, this would also influence material supply.

*Assign companions on resource gathering for mats to specific planets, similar to real time strategy.

But is that not what we already do with missions kinda sorta? From an RP perspective, you send a companion to find specific materials. It stands to reason that "behind the scenes" that companion is going off to whatever planet is most likely to have those materials and then returns with them or not.

*Higher percent on RE when performed in a specific designated place.

You might as well simply increase the RE percentage across the board because who in their right mind would not take full advantage of that system? And again far simpler to implement a general RE chance increase than to code a location/situation specific increase.

*Companion gift schematics, reusable gifts, crafted gifts.

What's the difference between running a mission to get a companion gift verses, running a mission to get the materials to then craft a companion gift? And reusable gifts won't happen because gifts are a credit sink; whether you run missions to get them or buy them off a vendor, the credits used are out of the system.

Crew skills are broken, and if they launch a "crafting patch" they might actually nerf some aspects. Crew skill player base can't possibly compete with the Cartel Market in regards to time, resources and unlimited supply.

the CM does not offer EVERYTHING that crew skills can. Even those crew skills that compete most directly with the CM (e.g. armor and weapon crafting), have crafting options that the CM does not offer - AUGMENTS and SLOT KITS front and center . Furthermore, there are plenty of F2P and Premium players out there who are playing that way for the fact that they cannot or are unwilling to pay real money. The problem in that case is GTM pricing; too many post lower level crafted goods beyond the reach of the average F2P/Freemium player with one or two characters.

Getting back to the topic at hand, The single biggest QoL change I want to see is a revamp of the crafting window interface. A tree structure with premium/green being the base, branching to blues, which in turn branch to purple. If that is not possible (for whatever reason), I would gladly "settle" for more and better filtering options. Right now all one can do is filter by quality (which helps when you know that you have a specific schematic available and simply do not want to scroll so much) and slot (which is OK for Armormech and Synweaving but not much else). Adding a GTM-esque filtering system (name, type, subtype, quality, stat, level) to the crafting interface would be a huge step.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Reverse Engineering Rules
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

JattaGin
10.03.2013 , 03:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
What's the difference between running a mission to get a companion gift verses, running a mission to get the materials to then craft a companion gift?
Come on, isn't that obvious? If you can craft companion gifts, you can choose what sort of gift you want to craft. If you send a companion to find a gift for you, chances are high you get a type of gift you don't need.

Sardonyyx
10.03.2013 , 03:54 PM | #10
Personally, I think the crafting system is fine how it is, sure, you can make some quality of life improvements, but most of those are just ease of access.

Think about it honestly, you have to do nothing to craft, just spend credits while your companions do the various tasks, it requires no effort, there really isn't much you can do in the way of making it easier. The markets on most servers have gone down significantly because of the ease of the crafting system, there's no effort required in this game except clicking to make your companion do it. In some MMO's people don't craft at all, because there's actually effort that needs to be put into crafting, when you make it this easy the market gets flooded with the same stuff.