Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Receiving “Host Update Failed” Message During the Launcher Update? [Edited]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Receiving “Host Update Failed” Message During the Launcher Update? [Edited]
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AndrewMann's Avatar


AndrewMann
10.02.2013 , 12:26 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
After each of the recent Launcher Updates, players have reported that they are seeing failure during the self-updating process. Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce your experiences thus far. Our QA team simply does not have access to the variety of hardware and software in use by our player base, so we need your help!

We’re looking for volunteers to work with us directly to resolve this issue for everyone. If you have repeatedly needed to download the Launcher Repair Utility that we post after launcher updates in order to avoid seeing the “Host update failed” error window, then you are affected by this issue and we would like to work with you!

For those of you who are interested, this will involve running specific diagnostic tools that we will provide to gather information while the problem occurs. You should be comfortable with technical computer tasks such as navigating file folders, deleting individual files and folders, downloading and uploading files, and zipping and unzipping.

If you are experiencing this problem, are interested in assisting us, and are comfortable with the technical skills described above, please respond to this thread and we will contact you shortly via email!

If you’re just looking to fix the launcher and get into the game right now, download the Repair Utility under section II, step 2 described here. Please note that there is a new Repair Utility each time the launcher is updated, so if you encounter this problem, be sure to visit the forum post and download the latest one!

The Dev Team

Inzidious's Avatar


Inzidious
10.02.2013 , 01:41 PM | #2
I was playing on the Bastion server up until around 11am CST, when I lost connection to the server and the game kicked me back to the choose server screen. I chose the Bastion and tried to re-enter the game but it would not load. I exited the game and tried to log in, I get to enter my password and my security key and hit play, but now I am stuck with an infinite loading screen. I have tried running the repair tool, rebooting my computer, cleared my modem cache, deleted the DiskCacheArena file, and I am still unable to play. I don't know if it's related to this or not, but after the crash, I haven't been able to play any Youtube movies or trailers, yet I can login and play another mmo game. Any ideas on what may be wrong and what I can do to fix this?

bmcgibany's Avatar


bmcgibany
10.02.2013 , 01:55 PM | #3
I am having the issue you described, and I feel comfortable being able to perform the tasks you stated.

Seferoth-'s Avatar


Seferoth-
10.02.2013 , 02:18 PM | #4
I had this problem last week. After i tried about everything i could find on forums i re-installed the game, yet it didn't work. Then i removed the folder "patch" in my swtor map, and it worked again.
Since then i just played and didnt notice any problems. I DL'ed the patch yesterday and played without problems.
Today, i start the game. And i have got the same problem then i had last week, but removing the 'patch' folder doesnt work this time.
How? What? I'm very clueless. I havent changed anything on my comp, i only run mumble and swtor. The web surfing, e-mails, etc i do on my laptop.

Seems like every time there is a launcher update latelly, i have problems. Wich i shouldn't i guess :-s

chanyh's Avatar


chanyh
10.02.2013 , 02:29 PM | #5
I'm having this problem too...
Sometimes when I restart game, it happened again. That is quite annoying...="=

I found that if I shut down all firewalls and anti-virus program, the launcher can solve the problem itself.

I'm using Window's own firewall and NOD32 for anti-virus.

Dichune's Avatar


Dichune
10.02.2013 , 02:32 PM | #6
I'm receiving "Unable to Retrieve Patch Data. Check your Network Connection. (208)"
Dichune
Founder
Forsaken Rebel Knights

Live With Pride, Die With Honor

darkdoctor's Avatar


darkdoctor
10.02.2013 , 02:55 PM | #7
Hi, I getting this error now but in morning game worked find. Tried to use LauncherRepairUtility1_75_4 (worked last time) but now nothing - get saying failed host. I like to help too - fix this problem - been getting since Updated 2.2 or 2.3
Proud Collector's Edition Owner
Main Sith Character - Imperial Agent
Main Republic Character - Smuggler
Cant Wait to play

Chainreaktion's Avatar


Chainreaktion
10.02.2013 , 02:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by chanyh View Post
I'm having this problem too...
Sometimes when I restart game, it happened again. That is quite annoying...="=

I found that if I shut down all firewalls and anti-virus program, the launcher can solve the problem itself.

I'm using Window's own firewall and NOD32 for anti-virus.

This worked for me too.. Thank you.

Naugor's Avatar


Naugor
10.02.2013 , 04:59 PM | #9 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Heya everyone,

Quote: Originally Posted by Inzidious View Post
I was playing on the Bastion server up until around 11am CST, when I lost connection to the server and the game kicked me back to the choose server screen. I chose the Bastion and tried to re-enter the game but it would not load. I exited the game and tried to log in, I get to enter my password and my security key and hit play, but now I am stuck with an infinite loading screen. I have tried running the repair tool, rebooting my computer, cleared my modem cache, deleted the DiskCacheArena file, and I am still unable to play. I don't know if it's related to this or not, but after the crash, I haven't been able to play any Youtube movies or trailers, yet I can login and play another mmo game. Any ideas on what may be wrong and what I can do to fix this?
Have you tried running the LauncherRepairUtility (step II, 2)? If you are still experiencing your issue afterwards we would appreciate if you could create a separate thread and include your launcher log file in there so we can follow up.

Quote: Originally Posted by bmcgibany View Post
I am having the issue you described, and I feel comfortable being able to perform the tasks you stated.
Keep your eyes peeled for emails.

Quote: Originally Posted by Seferoth- View Post
I had this problem last week. After i tried about everything i could find on forums i re-installed the game, yet it didn't work. Then i removed the folder "patch" in my swtor map, and it worked again.
Since then i just played and didnt notice any problems. I DL'ed the patch yesterday and played without problems.
Today, i start the game. And i have got the same problem then i had last week, but removing the 'patch' folder doesnt work this time.
How? What? I'm very clueless. I havent changed anything on my comp, i only run mumble and swtor. The web surfing, e-mails, etc i do on my laptop.

Seems like every time there is a launcher update latelly, i have problems. Wich i shouldn't i guess :-s
Just as with Inzidious, give the LauncherRepairUtility (step II, 2) a try. If you are still experiencing your issue afterwards we would appreciate if you could create a separate thread and include your launcher log file in there so we can follow up.

Quote: Originally Posted by chanyh View Post
I'm having this problem too...
Sometimes when I restart game, it happened again. That is quite annoying...="=

I found that if I shut down all firewalls and anti-virus program, the launcher can solve the problem itself.

I'm using Window's own firewall and NOD32 for anti-virus.
I am glad to hear that you got this figured out, thanks for documenting what helped for everyone else.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dichune View Post
I'm receiving "Unable to Retrieve Patch Data. Check your Network Connection. (208)"
For this issue we have a good summary of all the steps you can take over in our Top 10 Issues and Solutions thread. You could start with the IV) Firewall steps and work your way through all of them.

Should you still experience the error message afterwards, please create a new thread and also post your launch log file in there.

Quote: Originally Posted by darkdoctor View Post
Hi, I getting this error now but in morning game worked find. Tried to use LauncherRepairUtility1_75_4 (worked last time) but now nothing - get saying failed host. I like to help too - fix this problem - been getting since Updated 2.2 or 2.3
We have updated the LauncherRepairUtility to version 1_75_5 (see II, step 2). Just as with the other, if you are still experiencing your issue afterwards we would appreciate if you could create a separate thread and include your launcher log file in there so we can follow up.
Naugor | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support | Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

bigbobbird's Avatar


bigbobbird
10.02.2013 , 06:57 PM | #10
I've gotten this error the last 3 times the launcher has tried to update. This time the launcher repair utility didn't work either. The last two times it replaced files, this time it didn't ask. This is with repair utility 1_75_5. The file was copied into program files (x86)/ electronic Arts/ BioWare/ Star Wars-the old republic before extracting.

I'd be happy to work with you as I'm really getting tired of this.

I've had no problems until the last 3 updates.

Let me know what you'd like me to do. PLEASE!

btw I can't play now as the repair utility didn't work this time