Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercenary Top 3 Answers!

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ACMessiah
10.01.2013 , 02:06 PM | #21
Please do not change the basic mechanic of 'heat' in the future. It is the most interesting energy management system in the game and actually requires you as the player to think before using abilities.

I agree that the vanguard/merc needs a % bar like the Bounty Hunter. It is REALLY important to know EXACTLY what % you are at because that dictates what ability you can use without going over 40%. (eg Arsenal the magic number is 23% and for Bodyguard it is 29%).

Just yeah, don't change heat please. It's basically just energy backwards anyway. There is no problem with the mechanic, the issue lies within certain classes rotations and individual abilities heat/ammo cost.

Zoom_VI
10.01.2013 , 02:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
Eric,

For starters, Heavy Armor *IS NOT* an advantage. It is at most 4-5% more mitigation than Medium, and ~10% more mitigation than Light (tho Light Armor classes have +5% more defense chance... so it should be balanced, no?). For the love of the Emperor, can people (devs, players, etc) STOP using Heavy Armor as some kind of qualifying factor for why this class performs the way it does.
Cash your getting ahead of yourself, they said they previously thought i.e. at launch that it was worth it. The dev response implies that they are no longer running under this and are rethinking how they are doing the trooper class.

Quote:
If you *ever* thought Merc/Mando would be a dominating force then you are a very, very shortsighted dev team. Yeah, a class almost completely dependent on casting *WITH NO INTERRUPT IMMUNITY IN ANY DPS SPEC* is going to be a "dominating force". Get out of here with that pandering.
They said they are aware of that short sidedness and the excessive penalties on casters. They are working on it for 2.5 are you really going to start bashing them for the past, even with the knowledge that they are working to correct their errors?

Quote:
So you acknowledge that our cooldowns suck in comparison to other classes, but instead of fixing us youre just gonna nerf the other classes? /epicfacepalm. That is not a good practice; this game has gone around the nerf merry-go-round more times than enough already. Set a baseline, and bring all classes to that.
Where did they say they are nerfing others, they only implied that mauraders/snipers are overtuned. They are setting a baseline and classes above it like snipers/marauders are going to be nerfed. Does the value of the baseline really matter as long as all classes meet it?

Ugh these are the best answers they have ever given the playerbase on any issue, they are giving honest answers and are admitting past failures of their design, and are confirming that they are working to fix those failures. Not only that but they are telling us their intentions instead of letting us guess. WHY ARE YOU RAGING SO MUCH.??
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

TUXs
10.01.2013 , 02:09 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ACMessiah View Post
There is no problem with the mechanic, the issue lies within certain classes rotations and individual abilities heat/ammo cost.
I'd agree with this. There is NO NEED to overhaul the whole damn system...a few tweaks to costs and it's good to go as is. It's not at all difficult to work with the system we have....there's no need to reinvent it. That's wasted effort.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Zoom_VI
10.01.2013 , 02:14 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Dedrayge View Post
Sounds like a good idea to me. At least for mercs..

I've always felt like mercs where meant to be the more mobile ranged class.
More mobile and completely mobile are two different things. Mobility is good but a ranged class should never be more mobile than a melee class simply because if that ever happen all melee classes would become completely pointless. After all why bring a melee dps when you can bring roughly the same dps from 30m away.... But other than that yeah merc does need some better escapes that are not on 1.5 min cooldowns and have to be saved for healers anyway.
Crinn

SomeJagoff
10.01.2013 , 02:17 PM | #25
Nerfing Marauders damage And survivability?

Who are you and what have you done with our devs?
Free Character Transfer & Other Goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/bgpK6G

Zoom_VI
10.01.2013 , 02:18 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I'd agree with this. There is NO NEED to overhaul the whole damn system...a few tweaks to costs and it's good to go as is. It's not at all difficult to work with the system we have....there's no need to reinvent it. That's wasted effort.
Personally all gunnery needs imo is AP's ammo regen where it is more of a constant regen instead of the current blocky regen. I.e currently your ammo is fine if the 6 sec regen fall right after a large ammo expenditure (like a grav>demo (1/3 of your heat right there)) but if that six second mark is right before it does almost nothing and screws with you
Crinn

Zoom_VI
10.01.2013 , 02:19 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SomeJagoff View Post
Nerfing Marauders damage And survivability?

Who are you and what have you done with our devs?
From these responses, if I was a maurader I would be scared for 2.5
Crinn

Capt_Beers
10.01.2013 , 02:56 PM | #28
Everything in this post relates to PvP

Some good answers here.

Quote:
Unrelated to utility cooldowns, another thing that we have been internally considering for a while now is adjusting our pushback & interrupt systems because we believe the classes that have abilities with activation and channel times are simply being too greatly affected by those systems. These adjustments would primarily benefit all Mercenaries/Commandos and Sorcerers/Sages (Snipers/Gunslingers do not gain much because they are already immune to pushback & interrupts while in cover). Power Shot/Charged Bolts, Unload/Full Auto, and Tracer Missile/Grav Round are some key abilities that would benefit from these adjustments. Please let us know your opinion of the pushback & interrupt systems as they currently stand, and we will take the community’s feedback into consideration.
This would be very appreciated. The interrupt/pushback system is grossly in favor of melee classes. Interrupts are on a very low CD with no penalty for missing. Infiltration Shadows can keep a caster locked down pretty easily (Low Slash 15 sec CD, Mind Snap being a 15m with set bonus 8 sec CD, Force Stun, Force Wave, Vanish + Spinning Kick). Watchman Sents, as rare as they are in PvP, have a 6 second interrupt and a 12 second leap with no minimum range. Some points on this system:

- Casting while on the move sounds awesome. If it's not a technical hurdle that would delay this until the end of time I would love for this to be course of action.

- A system to penalize missed interrupts would be nice as well. A missed interrupt would grant an Unshakable-ish buff for XX seconds. This buff can be removed with another interrupt. For example Smasher #1 misses his interrupt. The Sage starts casting another ability with his new "Kind of like Unshakable but not quite" buff, Smasher #2 uses his interrupts and lands it but all he does is remove the buff and the ability gets cast as normal.

- Speeding up cast times would be nice but that would also require the re-hauling of the resource system.

Now, re-hauling the resource system is a frightening process to be quite honest. I see many places for mistakes to be made and for things to not work out just right. I like the tiered system as I think there should be a penalty for not keeping an eye on it. That being said sometimes you have to burn through your ammo/heat in order to keep people alive/get people dead. Maybe a wider "good" range but a sharper penalty

As far as making the resource pool easier to handle I would definitely prefer an active method of regen as opposed to a passive one. I would prefer to have to use an ability similar to Diagnostic Scan rather than to just have Cell Charger/Terminal Velocity be more effective.

Cost reductions while HtL/HO is active, Full Auto/Unload crits doing something and Hammer/Rapid Shots venting heat/gaing ammo being used for DPS specs makes sense to me. For the Healing tree I think having the stacks of CSC increase regen would be effective. in my opinion this would increase the depth of the class a little bit as you would have to choose to sacrifice you extra regen for some added burst healing.

Trauma Probe/Kolto Shell is an ability I would to see showcased some more. I think it should be one of the things that sets Commando/Merc healers apart form the other 2 healers. Front Line Medic/Peacekeepr should be removed, you tried to fix something and it didn't work, sorry but it's true. In it's place I would like to see a talent that builds on TP/KS instead, casting heals on targets affected by it have higher crit chance, increased healing, ammo regen on crits, CD reduction on Bacta Infusion/Emergency Scan on crits, things of that nature. Make it more of a spot light ability. Obviously this should be based on whether or not you decide to keep it for one target or several.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

cashogy_reborn
10.01.2013 , 02:58 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Cash your getting ahead of yourself, they said they previously thought i.e. at launch that it was worth it. The dev response implies that they are no longer running under this and are rethinking how they are doing the trooper class.
Reread the first paragraph of the response to that question. Heavy Armor, ability to heal self/allies, and 30m range given as reasons for class performance.

Quote:
They said they are aware of that short sidedness and the excessive penalties on casters. They are working on it for 2.5 are you really going to start bashing them for the past, even with the knowledge that they are working to correct their errors?
Yes, Im going to. The game will have been out for nearly 2 years by the time 2.5 comes out. Which means it has taken that long for the devs to realize their class design was utterly terrible. And they did not so much as acknowledge they fked up our class design, as much as they pinned it off on how overtuned Sniper and Marauder are. Its as much of a acknowledgement as it is a brushoff.

Quote:

Where did they say they are nerfing others, they only implied that mauraders/snipers are overtuned. They are setting a baseline and classes above it like snipers/marauders are going to be nerfed. Does the value of the baseline really matter as long as all classes meet it?
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

So while some classes may pine to be given cooldowns that will make them as strong as Sentinels/Marauders, we would rather reduce the effectiveness of Marauder/Sentinel cooldowns to make them more like the other classes when it comes to survivability.
Dat reading......

Quote:

Ugh these are the best answers they have ever given the playerbase on any issue, they are giving honest answers and are admitting past failures of their design, and are confirming that they are working to fix those failures. Not only that but they are telling us their intentions instead of letting us guess. WHY ARE YOU RAGING SO MUCH.??

This isnt me raging lol. These might be the best responses so far, but the bar was not very high. Its good that they finally seem to see that almost everything they designed about Merc/Mando was done badly, but call me jaded; I'll believe it when I see it
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

TrooperSev
10.01.2013 , 03:03 PM | #30
I like the heat system as it is, but a without the free rail shot, heat management is much more dependent. With the free rs, I didn't feel the need to actively watch my heat and was more focused on the raid/fp. I don't think the rail shot should be tied to a set bonus though. It should work off something from the skill tree, like how pyros get a free proc and ap pt's get a free rp.

My idea for rail shot:
- Tracer lock now also reduces the heat of the next rail shot by 2 heat per stack. (Maybe lowering dmg per stack to 4-5% to offset a little)

Also, the interrupt change would be an amazing QOL adjustment. With the amount of raid wide dmg that the new bosses do, I find my channels constantly longer than expected. I can't count the number of times that my unloads last tick has been clipped. This would result in a dps boost, that would help up compare to snipers/marauders(if they do indeed get some nerfs).
Dark Helmet - "So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."