Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercenary Top 3 Answers!

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

odawgg
10.02.2013 , 07:22 PM | #101
Thank you Eric and the Dev team! Great feedback, I think you responded to every comment too which I really wasn't expecting! I hope to see some of the changes you spoke of in the future.

To comment on the resource management question (DPS view only):

I, like many others, am not for a complete revamp of our heat system, I like it the way it works now...I'd be perfectly happy with bringing our free rail shot back, Pyro has no need for improvements since yesterday's 2.4 update

As far as interrupts/pushback, not really my area of expertise since it is very PVP driven, but I can say that the pushback even in PVE is a pain in the rear at times and would love any improvements you can make to it.

I find the answers/feedback you gave to the questions was satisfactory to the point I really don't have anything else to add at the moment!

skarlson
10.02.2013 , 07:55 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Where did they say snipers are fine? If you've missed the news from the other forums.. snipers are going to get nerfed.

1) The 2-pc set bonus that causes their orbital to tick one additional time is going to 4-pc PVP
2) Orbital/Flyby is going to get a single . target . DPS damage reduction.

Source is on my sig.
I meant to say they argued they are fine and then turn around saying they are not fine. Make up your mind; that was the point and the reason why nothing they say or do can really be taken seriously. The all powerful metrics have spoken; you are fine they are fine was their answer to sorcs. Everyone knew and explained how that was not the case to no avail. Now suddenly something has changed. Perhaps the metrics are not all they are cracked up to be; we have seen this same pattern time and again since launch. Even prior to launch metrics are all seeing was the mantra. Yet they never learn; the people who play this game figure stuff out way before the metrics gods catch up.
"Unlimited powahahaha! I can't say it..." -Darth Sidious as a Sorcerer

Dralrog
10.02.2013 , 08:25 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
THIS! THIS THIS THIS!!!! This is the bane of so many issues imo. The punishment we suffer from pushback and interrupts are the cause of almost every one of this classes problems (minus resource management).

Far too many of our harder hitting abilities are dependent on getting that channeled skill off...and they're far too easy to shut down by any competent player (speaking for PvP specifically). I understand the fear of the "ranged" DPS, but without the ability to cast any of our skills, we're nothing.

My suggestions:
- Interrupt/pushback immunity for 15 seconds after an interrupt/pushback, or, any Interrupt/pushback instantly triggers a Tech Override charge - I'd suggest a Tech Override charge for EVERY interrupted cast - it's just far too easy to shut down the cast dependent classes in PvP and this is the single biggest issue I feel the class has.
You do understand that interrupting some of those skills is the only way some classes stay alive against you?

NathanielStarr
10.02.2013 , 09:02 PM | #104
They are choosing to nerf and adjust rather than buff. I guess it has to be that way for the PvE content to be at all a challenge.

NathanielStarr
10.02.2013 , 09:03 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Dralrog View Post
You do understand that interrupting some of those skills is the only way some classes stay alive against you?
lol not really, there are classes that do more damage and have much better defenses that do not suffer from interrupts. So if you think a merc is a problem I'd like to introduce you to my friend the SMASHER!

Rawrgs
10.02.2013 , 09:27 PM | #106
This is a message from Rambeezy @ The Shadowlands. (He's currently un-subbed and cannot post on the forums)

So basically our rotation is fixed how ya'll want it and that’s not going to change but ya'll would be willing to increase our optimal regeneration percentage. Currently we have no reason to go above 40% heat unless someone screws up or we hit an aoe phase. I’m curious as to how close to the sorcerers system ya'll would be willing to go without giving us the ability to spam rapid scan like dark infusion. Are ya'll just looking at the regeneration aspect of sorcerers or the regeneration and consume. Mercenaries consume would have to be much more painful than a consume is for a sorcerer, obviously. Maybe 20-25 heat for 25-30% hp with a 30-45 second cd? This would warrant the removal of vent heat. I would need more information on how this change is being developed but I do like the idea of letting us “yoyo” more than 40% of our heat. Going to guess ya'll were looking at raising it to 60-70%? Which IMO would be perfect. Not sure how 100% would look.
Hopefully we don’t have to wait till the next round of questions to get feedback on this proposed “overhaul,” and hopefully I don’t have to re sub to test these changes. I’d rather not play this game while the semester is going on……It would be nice to get a group of the best mercenaries from each spec and a few combat team guys to work in private on these changes or at least discuss the specifics of this “overhaul” before the community makes a blind decision. If we can get together, both developers and live gamers, I could see some great things for Mercenaries. Skype, phone, in person, TS3, vent etc. doesn't matter, just needs to happen in private IMO. Overall great feedback, I see why these questions took a while. Sorry I’m not subbed atm but ya'll definitely made the idea of re-subbing sound like the right thing to do. Anyways back to my school work, but like I said, we need more specifics on this “overhaul.”
P.S. Anything is better than nothing.
hmd MAGENTA
The Eternal Warrior From Beyond
Rawrgs
5/5 HM DF 5/5 HM DP 5/5 NiM TFB 7/7 NiM S&V

cashogy_reborn
10.02.2013 , 09:59 PM | #107
Regarding changes to the interrupt/casting mechanics, I posted this in the PvP forum but thought Id share it here as well:

Quote:
If Bioware is serious about improving the casting/channeling/interrupt/pushback situation, here is what I would do:

- Abilities with cast times can be activated while moving
- Initiating an ability with a cast time while moving applies a 25% slow on your character
- Channeled abilities can be activated while moving
- Activating a channeled ability while moving applies a 70% slow on your character
- You cannot be interrupted for 4s after having been interrupted
- You cannot suffer from pushback more than once every 3s
- Change Alacrity in the following ways:
  • Adjust DR so its not a useless stat (We should be able to reduce 1.5s casts to <= 1s with excessive Alacrity stacking)
  • Alacrity reduces the slow effect while casting/channeling on the move
  • Alacrity reduces the effect of pushback
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Dralrog
10.02.2013 , 10:16 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
THIS! THIS THIS THIS!!!! This is the bane of so many issues imo. The punishment we suffer from pushback and interrupts are the cause of almost every one of this classes problems (minus resource management).

Far too many of our harder hitting abilities are dependent on getting that channeled skill off...and they're far too easy to shut down by any competent player (speaking for PvP specifically). I understand the fear of the "ranged" DPS, but without the ability to cast any of our skills, we're nothing.

My suggestions:
- Interrupt/pushback immunity for 15 seconds after an interrupt/pushback, or, any Interrupt/pushback instantly triggers a Tech Override charge - I'd suggest a Tech Override charge for EVERY interrupted cast - it's just far too easy to shut down the cast dependent classes in PvP and this is the single biggest issue I feel the class has.

NathanielStarr
10.02.2013 , 10:19 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Dralrog View Post
So what about the higher damage classes with better defenses that cannot be interrupted how do you deal with them?

Macroeconomics
10.03.2013 , 01:31 AM | #110
Sorry, but I have to chuckle a bit about this thread now. Many player responses to the heat/resource management issue. All different. No consensus. There will be no changes.

Mara and Snipers have a bit too much utility. No time table on when that might be fixed. If it ever happens, they'll still do 50% and 25% respectively more damage output than Merc Arsenal in pvp. Merc Pyro is even further behind.

Merc healing.... well at least Sorc healers are even crappier than you in arena pvp. Too bad you (Merc healers) are the worst in the game for pve.

Thing is, when the devs say they think "Mercs are in a pretty good place", it is actually true. In a relevant sense. You guys remember how crappy things were 12 months ago? Now we live in a slum. Before we were homeless!