Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shadow Top Three Answers

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Leafy_Bug
10.01.2013 , 01:53 PM | #21
I will take the bullet and ask...without the self heals, will these changes make us ... a guardian with less armour, less damage reduction and broken resilience? Also using potency on TK now will be a waste ....

UltimateKrucible
10.01.2013 , 01:56 PM | #22
Appreciate the replies.

A slight buff to most damage skills is what us infiltration shadows need, so looking forward to see what happens.
. Shine on, you crazy pixel.

Funny post! The nine circles of SW:TOR PvP hell

Malaka_Blue
10.01.2013 , 02:09 PM | #23
Shadow Tank Extraordinaire | The Malakai Legacy | Jedi Covenant
"Team #Poundsign" - eXile | Warrior of No Name Guild
REGULATORS | Stuff JMD Says
My Twitch.tv Channel

Elyx
10.01.2013 , 02:18 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Leafy_Bug View Post
I will take the bullet and ask...without the self heals, will these changes make us ... a guardian with less armour, less damage reduction and broken resilience? Also using potency on TK now will be a waste ....
Yes, that is exactly what it means unfortunately. But what do we expect? the "uniqueness" of the shadow/assassin made them also more effective in certain situations then the other tanks. this same effect made them less effective in other situations. the players griped about this difference, so they have removed that difference. simple as that.

while I don't like it, i understand the logic. if they kept the self heals in, but added to the base mitigation, then the shadow/assassin would become better then the other tanks in most situations, and equal in a few...which would pretty much kill any need for the other two tanks.

not sure why players think that they can make each class special and different, but NOT different when it comes to harder play. can't have your cake and eat it too.

Uniqueness = differences in play = bad in hard progression, but more enjoyable play
Homogenization = similar play = better for progression, worse for overall enjoyment of play.

I don't like it, but after 10+ years in MMO's i understand that in this kind of environment, it eventually happens. if we want unique classes but still want to be able to complete all content, then the only real choice is to simplify the top end content. if your willing to accept that, then perhaps they can go back to unique classes.
"I just hit 50 and finished my class storyline, but I still haven't been able to decide which AC to choose. Leveling solo as a warrior wasn't difficult, so I kept putting off the decision.
Anyone else having the same problem? "~ lagerhat - And who says warriors are broke?

MasterFeign
10.01.2013 , 02:21 PM | #25
I do still like the self healing aspect of the shadow/assassin. I think each class should have it's own perks. In this way, the current iteration of the commando healer would benefit the most with a match up with the shadow, because it requires less healing, and commandos generally dish out less healing as well (unless if commando medics are being fixed as well, I have not read their page).

The good thing from this is that since there is no healing, it could make a dps wearing tankassin less viable.

For the pvp madness question, it's still certainly up in the air in what they plan to do. But it appears that they are keeping the damage over time aspect, when they should be focusing on the burst and cost of force for the spec.

The last answer appears to be a step in the right direction though.

SomeJagoff
10.01.2013 , 02:25 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by nagatamen View Post
I want to see if I understand the proposed Tank changes correctly. What I am taking away from the Tank part is they are removing all our passive self-healing and giving us more armor and damage reduction. So they are turning us into something comparable with all other tanks?

I haven't read the other questions yet, but if so I'm pretty bummed. I appreciate the answers, but I'm bummed that this is the path they're choosing.
The other tanks will still have more armor. They're basically going to revert shadows to Pre1.3 armor rating (170%), then remove the self-healing completely (assuming completely, not sure if they'll keep the healing received from shadow shelter).

Ultimately, not sure if this is a buff or a nerf, but it will certainly radically change the playstyle.

also, lol@ "no more burst control for you, deception!" Thrash/Voltaic Slash buff has long since needed......uh, dunno if maul needs a buff to be honest, since you can already maul stuff for 8-10k. Auto-crit would be nice, but also probably OP.
Once you're in the hole, what's a few more feet?

CourtneyWoods
10.01.2013 , 02:28 PM | #27 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey y'all,

I wanted to relay this from the Combat Team concerning some confusion over the following note:
  • 3 stacks of Harnessed Shadows no longer cause the Shadow to be healed when Telekinetic Throw deals damage. Instead, it grants Shadow Protection, which increases damage reduction by 1%. Shadow Protection stacks up to 4 times and lasts 18 seconds.

What this means is that each damaging tick of Telekinetic Throw/Force Lightning will now grant 1 stack of Shadow/Dark Protection rather than heal the Shadow/Assassin tank. This means that one fully channeled Telekinetic Throw/Force Lightning can grant all 4 stacks of Shadow/Dark Protection. The loss of healing and the addition of damage reduction are the only changes to the Harnessed Shadows/Darkness skill the rest of the skill functions as it previously did.

Just as an FYI, unless a note says that a skill or ability has been redesigned, it is (usually) safe to assume that all of the old parts unmentioned remain the same. On the flip side, if we say that a skill or an ability has been redesigned then we will provide a new description including everything that the redesigned ability or skill now does.

Hope that clears up some of your questions!
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

JasonNH
10.01.2013 , 02:30 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hope that clears up some of your questions!
It does! Thank you for the quick turnaround.
Windemere - Baron of the The New Outriders
Recruitment Thread
Tashili, Medeira, Arreldon, Kaatta, Windemere
Raschtok, Leirah, Chantea, Sterbefall, Toede

ebado
10.01.2013 , 02:33 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hey y'all,
I wanted to relay this from the Combat Team concerning some confusion over the following note:
Thanks for the clarification!
kolto and corrosives
window legacy - the bastion

tacito
10.01.2013 , 02:35 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Malaka_Blue View Post
For those that are interested what the changes to Kinettic Combat will look like based on the current information provided here is a visual guide.

Essentially the armor rating modifier is 274% versus the current 215% assuming the tank is skilled enough to keep up 4 stacks from the harnessed shadows->TK Throw buff.

Also for those worried about the self healing aspect don't forget we still have Battle Readiness which is unchanged as far as we know. This is 15% of our Max HP which for the tank in full 75 Kell Dragon gear averages around 6150HP a pop every 2 minutes. That's a clutch heal I know, but you can use it between 2 times a fight on something simple like NiM Writhing Horror or up to 5-6 times on NiM Terror. That's still a good amount of self healing for the large mean mitigation increase.

http://i.imgur.com/5ftLGyS.png
Much appreciated. So, all things being equal except the 2.5 changes, one would take about 14% less damage from an unshielded attack if I see that correctly, for which we trade all self healing outside of major cooldowns.

Well, should help with those "Okay, why am I dead" moments, but I'm not sure how it plays out in the grand scheme of things. Assuming shadows required 5% less healing before these changes, and we then take 14% less damage, this might be an overall buff... but I'll wait for KBN's post.

I wonder if that changes stat budgets. Would that make shield and absorb even more valuable, when unshielded hits don't hurt us as bad? Really curious to see some new numbers, but too tired right now to do them myself.