Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Athiss: End Boss, Prophet of Vodal

Refmo
12.21.2011 , 11:59 PM | #21
Some of the responses make me think that there's a bugged version of this boss as every time I did it, (twice in beta and on live) it was a cakewalk. I did it all times at level 21 so I didn't have my "cleanse" and no one was interrupting it. The boss himself hits for practically nothing. I found Battlelord Kreshan more engaging.
QUICK NOTE I NEED TO DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE

Trygorn
12.22.2011 , 01:09 AM | #22
I think people have a wrong idea of this instance, Athiss is made for lvl 21+
Not as some other person stated, that 21+ is overleveling the instance.

Anything below that level range I said, will make the fight definitely harder ofc in regards to:

1) Health
2) Abilities

It's doable at 19+ but you it's still an instance for 21+

_Flin_
12.22.2011 , 01:30 AM | #23
Healed this as a lvl 22 Combat Medic (Trooper).

We had a 23 Vanguard tank. The damage he does is negligible. The DoT is his only powerful weapon, and you can heal through it. Not easily, but not hard either. Had a good tank though, experienced in stopping those spells. Only relevant point are the flames

It took some time to down him, but the Hammerstation endboss was a way harder fight.

choboon
12.22.2011 , 01:38 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Riho View Post
No he doesn't, it is a very challenging encounter but I found it refreshing compared to Black Talon. Top off the players that get hit by the dot or they die, everyone stays out of Fire and the rest is up to the dps/ healers force & energy pool.
That exactly.
From a healer perspective it was taxing but if people stay out of the fire i can heal whoever gets periodic damage and the rest is standard healing.

Also as someone else said, even if you have a healer, medpacks are your friend.

Akaryuujin
12.22.2011 , 01:59 AM | #25
Hey,

I killed him yesterday wit quite a good team. I was a Sorc dps @ 19, Jug tank @ 21, Sorc heal @ 20 and Merc @ 21. We failed on the first try but when we got the grasp of the fight mechanic it was pretty simple. You just need to heal the effects of his debuff ASAP if you can't purge it and stay away from the flames so healer may regenerate some force during this phase. whenever healer was strucked with the debuff me and merc focused on healing him so he kept his focus on the rest of us.

Second try was victorious.

Verry challenging fight at our levels - can't wait to get more of it

CODKill
12.22.2011 , 03:09 PM | #26
I actually had the opposite results. I went in with a team of Me (22 Trooper), and 3 Jedi's (2 DPS, 1 Heal) and everyone but me died while he was at 75% health. I finished him off solo. I am DPS spec and have just the basic Trooper heals. I don't know how I pulled it off, but I guess this just proves that he is very inconsitent. I'm not saying it was easy, but probably shouldn't have been able to solo this guy.

Geekcheck
12.22.2011 , 03:36 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by LordValkyran View Post
Okay this guy is seriously botched and I mean "seriously". While his HP is fine his damage output is just utterly rediculas.

We had a pretty nice group, Sith Juggernaut, Maurader (thats me), Mercinary and Sorceror for healing.

Now no matter how many times we did this (I was the lowest level at 19 with the highest at 22, we were all in that range) we could "not" down this guy.

Why?

A nasty effect called Crushing Affliction.

There was a clear cut tick from this that took an entire chunk of HP from me every time. And I mean "every" time, it entirley picked on me and happened 'way' to freequently for our healer to keep up.

This boss "needs" damage nerfing. The HP is fine, but the damage? Thats not even remotley fair.

It can kill you in 3 ticks of Crushing Affliction and if you dont have a botched healer, your screwed.
There is no need to adjust this fight at all. It is a challenging fight that merely requires some patience, careful attention, and players who are willing to listen. Crushing Affliction is easy to deal with as long as melee DPS know when to back off. I have run this FP too many times to count both in Beta and now in the Live version, and one thing has not changed--melee DPS players usually don't know when to stop attacking.

Crushing Affliction tends to hit those who have high aggro, but not always. Safe to say as DPS you need to control your flow of damage--it needs to be a moderate amount of consistent damage, not burst damage. If you burst too early, you will end up the brunt of his attacks.

To those who say use interrupts, don't bother as he is immune to them, as this is clearly stated in the mouseover on one of his buffs.. The key to this fight is merely patience. Now I will say that Crushing Affliction does tend to do spike damage, but without a combat log I cannot tell you exactly how bad it can get.

Crushing Affliction is a single target DoT attack that can do spike damage. It is important that any healers or ranged DPS stay as far away from him as possible, so they are not possible targets. The Prophet usually only targets people close to him and it makes it easier for healers to support the melee players.

As a tank (BH Powertech), I make it a point to run FPs multiple times to get a solid understanding of the fights and this is one that people tend to overlook b/c all they want to do is smash and grab (loot). Here a few tips to help out:
  • When the Prophet stealths (every 25%), he will cast a debuff called "Soul Rend" on a random target. You can spot this debuff b/c it appears on the right side of the player health bar. Whoever has this debuff will attract the 4 fireballs he summons. Whoever is tanking needs to call this out, so others know who to stay away from. Once this debuff wears off, the fireballs disappear.
  • All ranged classes need to stay away from him to avoid Crushing Affliction (see above).
  • Whoever has aggro will get hit by Essence Drain which is a channeled stun that drains HP. Your healer needs to be ready for this and if the tank has the Soul Rend debuff, they need to be sure they are not stunned near them otherwise he is toast.
  • Be careful of the statues on the walls, players tend to get caught on them due to bad geometry.
  • During the last 25% or so, DPS can unload on him, as he wont have another stealth rotation.

No offense to you as I understand your frustration, but calling for a nerf on this fight 2 days after launch is ridiculous and unnecessary. This is a challenging fight that can easily be overcome with a little strategy and understanding of the mechanics. And if you are wondering, I figured out the mechanics by playing through, not by reading them online.

You are going to die a few times, but you should expect so with a boss you have never fought. Far too often we gamers feel we should be downing bosses the first time through. But the fact is, that is as far from the truth and reality as it can be. You cannot expect to simply smash your way through without taking note of combat surroundings. Learn from the mistakes and deaths and pay attention to the details, they will save you future frustrations.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love (1963)

DrekorSilverfang
12.22.2011 , 03:41 PM | #28
The only source of real damage is crushing affliction... You're healer should be able to deal with that through raw healing. It might tax him a bit if your all getting hit by the AE at the end of the DoT but other than that his melee attacks are so weak you don't even need to "tank" him; in fact I'm pretty sure it's better to just DPS him as hard as possible.

Quote:
I actually had the opposite results. I went in with a team of Me (22 Trooper), and 3 Jedi's (2 DPS, 1 Heal) and everyone but me died while he was at 75% health. I finished him off solo. I am DPS spec and have just the basic Trooper heals. I don't know how I pulled it off, but I guess this just proves that he is very inconsitent. I'm not saying it was easy, but probably shouldn't have been able to solo this guy.
He does not use crushing affliction on his primary target so if you're the only one up then only thing to worry about is his normal attacks and the fire things... all of which are pretty much non-factors.

Akzent
12.22.2011 , 03:41 PM | #29
It's not that hard a fight if you know the mechanics but if not then it has a few surprises, I'm a shadow tank and when he does affliction on someone I throw my guard on them to soak up some of the dmg and the healer needs to spam heal that person till it is off them, there isnt all that much other dmg so healer can focus on who has the dot, he's immune to interrupt so don't even bother, just heal through it, it is a nasty dot, I also throw gaurd on whoever has the fire balls on them in case the get hit cuz those hurt as well

overall I think the fight is fine, we were all about 19-22 level range. I personally really like the fight, one of the first boss's thats got some different mechanics, and you have to pay attention to what's happening instead of "oh adds spawned kill them" or " don't stand in this"
Shibbeh - Jedi Consular Shadow Tank

Powderedtoasted
12.22.2011 , 04:37 PM | #30
Fight was easily duoable at lv21, mostly because companions already had a dispel and damage is negligible in the fight without the debuff. As for a full group of players, I agree that the damage from the debuff is too high for an instance where the healer won't likely be high enough of a level to even have a dispel in their tool kit.

Overall I think this fight had some sort of intention in its design to teach new players the penalty of not removing debuffs or avoiding certain mechanics such as flame ghosts. The boss has a lot of health but doesn't do much damage to give players a chance to see that damage can come from other sources and needs to be avoided.

I think making the debuff weaker would teach players that fight mechanics can be ignored, so I think the best fix for it is to adjust the levels at which players learn their dispels or adjust the level required for the Flashpoint as a whole by making 24 the minimum level.