Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Storage space and Player housing/cities... Bring back the fun of Galaxies!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Storage space and Player housing/cities... Bring back the fun of Galaxies!!!

Slicksteezin
10.06.2013 , 12:01 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Then don't chime in on a conversation I was having with someone else if you don't want to be involved in it.
You know, that's a pretty spot on assessment.
This is the forums. don't post **** if you don't expect other responses. Which you will, because it sounds like you need some correcting.
Gallasiso - Arsenal merc
Frimen - Sorc heals
Harbinger server

Here in SWTOR, everything seems to break. Except the Cartel Market.

Thylbanus
10.06.2013 , 02:40 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Beltane View Post
This is an incredibly flawed argument.

SWG still had a large player base at the time of its cancellation.

It was only cancelled because Lucas Arts declined to renew its contract, presumably since they wanted SWTOR to be the only Star Wars MMO on the market.

I am not petitioning for TOR to become SWG (though I certainly wouldn't complain)... but this is the most flawed argument I've ever seen. Developers pulling the plug prematurely because the license was yoinked to funnel players into TOR does not mean SWG was a failure on its own.

Don't forget that SWG closed and TOR opened several days apart. It isn't exactly hard to see the agenda.
Get your "facts" straight, Sony dropped the contract. LA was completely willing to renew, but it was Sony who declined to renew. If the people who ran it felt it was so great, why did they not renew? They felt that BioWare would trounce them and they didn't want to be locked in a contract. You can't say that the people who ran the game had so little faith in their product that they didn't want to even try.

Great? Hardly. Good, definitely. Not great. They messed up with the NGE, then further with the CE. They knew they failed and basically just ran it until they could get out of the contract. Sony was happy to dump it. You can't say that they were "weary of LucasArts" or any kind of tripe like that since they soon signed a contract locking them into the "Clone Wars Adventures." So Sony was still willing to get behind the Star Wars IP, but just not in the MMORPG arena.

LucasArts executive Tom Nichols has confirmed there will be continuing support for Star Wars Galaxies - even though new MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic is on the way.

Nichols was speaking at the recent press event for Star Wars: The Old Republic, currently being developed by BioWare. "We have many other features planned to support Star Wars Galaxies," he told Eurogamer. "We see no reason why the two games can't exist together."

CEO John Smedley said, "We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012, The Old Republic launching, a bunch of other business things with LucasArts. And then you look at the odds of a pretty large portion of the audience moving to TOR, which looks like a terrific game. ... That's the problem with licenses: they end. We're going to continue to do some licensed work, but we're largely going to stick to original IP [going forward] because then we won't have this issue. We'll never have this problem with EverQuest. Back in 2001, not '03 when we launched, but back in 2001 when we [first] negotiated it, a five year license seemed like a really long g****** time. EverQuest was only a year or so old at that point. Could we have renegotiated? Maybe, but I don't think that would be the right thing for the company."

It stings to accept that the game you loved so much wasn't great, but really, come up with something better.
Quote: Originally Posted by Slicksteezin View Post
This is the forums. don't post **** if you don't expect other responses. Which you will, because it sounds like you need some correcting.
I'm all for correcting, if you are actually correct and not driven by feelings. Give some real facts. Please trump me. I actually enjoy it.

EDIT: Slick, the CM breaks, too. You just haven't been here for it.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

AlexDougherty
10.06.2013 , 09:13 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by HaloPheonix View Post
Hi everyone,

We all know that "Galaxies" hit the nail on the head.
Um, do we???

Quote:
Deleting "Galaxies" tore a hole in millions of peoples hearts. No one thinks that there will ever be a game like "Galaxies" ever again.
Er, it was just a game.

Quote:
Creating the option of player cities and allowing us to be creative and design our own house kept everyone at the computer day in ad day out. Not just playing the stories and building up a character, but building a lifestyle in the game where we could bring our friends ad guild members to.
Our ships are our houses, but most of us would like to customise them

Quote:
The following are a few positives and negatives:

Positives:
More community based guilds with more to control.
What?? This is a benefit of Player cities?
Quote:
More items to buy and or play for.
More people wanting to play.
Maybe
Quote:
More lure for Bioware.
More money for Bioware.
Not a benefit as far as we the customers are concerned, not a negative either just not relavent
Quote:
Happier customers from the deletion of "Galaxies"
Make all the "Galaxies" players return.
Maybe, maybe not, because this game still won't be SWG, and some want SWG and only SWG. Personally I don't want SWG
Quote:
Potentially hitting the records on all the new Star Wars fans involvement in this game.
Pure speculation, could easily go the other way.

Quote:
Negatives:
Bioware has more to work on to make customers happier.
um, no. EA/Bioware will do the same amount of work, what will happen is that improvements people actually care about will be delayed or cancelled.
Quote:
Bioware has to pay for more space for all the new content. (that's why we pay for expansions)
Again, no. EA has the servers already, what it means is that they have to put them back to running this game due to the extra coding, and running them costs money.
Quote:
Customers have to pay.
Obviously.
Quote:
Customers have to wait for the content to load.
Only once, or when they alter said content.

Here's some negatives you didn't consider:
Content most of us want will be delayed or cancelled
New Bugs
More patches fixing the bugs caused by this alteration
More people trying to change this into a SWG clone.
If more SWG aspects are introduced, people will leave because they didn't like SWG
More Lag, don't know why but it will hapen
People complaining that they didn't want player cities
Eventually massive empty cities, because people buy the player housing realise there is no reason to be in these cities, and then avoid them like the plague

Quote:
The positives far outweigh the negatives. Creating the space on the servers for this content is possible... Other games are starting to do this. If the force will allow it, it will be done.
No the negatives actually outweigh the positives
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Marrius
10.08.2013 , 02:32 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Um, do we???

Er, it was just a game.

Our ships are our houses, but most of us would like to customise them

What?? This is a benefit of Player cities?

Maybe

Not a benefit as far as we the customers are concerned, not a negative either just not relavent

Maybe, maybe not, because this game still won't be SWG, and some want SWG and only SWG. Personally I don't want SWG

Pure speculation, could easily go the other way.

um, no. EA/Bioware will do the same amount of work, what will happen is that improvements people actually care about will be delayed or cancelled.

Again, no. EA has the servers already, what it means is that they have to put them back to running this game due to the extra coding, and running them costs money.

Obviously.

Content most of us want will be delayed or cancelled
New Bugs
More patches fixing the bugs caused by this alteration
More people trying to change this into a SWG clone.
If more SWG aspects are introduced, people will leave because they didn't like SWG
More Lag, don't know why but it will hapen
Eventually massive empty cities, because people buy the player housing realise there is no reason to be in these cities, and then avoid them like the plague

No the negatives actually outweigh the positives
Please replace 'we' and 'us' with 'me' and 'I' because you definitely do not speak for me.

AlexDougherty
10.08.2013 , 05:24 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Marrius View Post
Please replace 'we' and 'us' with 'me' and 'I' because you definitely do not speak for me.
Read through my post, and there are only three personal statements, one is already "I", turning "do we??" into "do me??" makes no sense, and the third is about wanting to customise our ships. Are you saying you don't want that option?
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Marrius
10.08.2013 , 10:58 AM | #26
Read through my post, and there are only three personal statements, one is already "I", turning "do we??" into "do me??" makes no sense, and the third is about wanting to customise our ships. Are you saying you don't want that option?
Your whole post is written in first person yet you presume to speak for others. Sorry mate, you aint the queen.

MaximusRex
10.08.2013 , 01:43 PM | #27
Deleting "Galaxies" tore a hole in millions of peoples hearts.
Thousands of Players Hearts at best considering subs peaked at 250k and had under 30k when it was shuttered.

That said I support more areas of player control, like housing, even if it starts with our ships.

Thylbanus
10.08.2013 , 03:58 PM | #28
Customers have to wait for the content to load.

More Lag, don't know why but it will happen
Suggesting player cities like SWG, then complaining about the massive load times? Doing so would make it worse considering that there would be constant change. The others are very important as well and the final thought is also dead on. I remember at the end these MASSIVE malls inside the Wroshyr trees and guild halls that were ALWAYS empty. The only use was to hit the shuttle pad because it was close to a mission objective.

Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
Thousands of Players Hearts at best considering subs peaked at 250k and had under 30k when it was shuttered.

That said I support more areas of player control, like housing, even if it starts with our ships.
Let's also remember that those 30k subs at the end were also influenced by the compromised accounts of over 100 million users. Their offer of penance was a year free subscription to a credit monitoring service and 3 mo free of any or all current MMOs. I know, I was one, and one of the ones who logged back in before the end. If I'm one, you can bet I wasn't an only. I wonder how many of those were the "free" accounts?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Marrius
10.08.2013 , 11:00 PM | #29
Obviously SWTOR is not going to become SWG. But why not incorporate more of the successful elements of SWG. And why not improve on these elements. Player cities are fine but have a reason to make them. One way of doing this is high end pvp and pve crafted gear that can only be produced via player cities. Another idea could be introducing more rvr whereby gtm tax prices are influenced by the areas of control each side owns. Reasons for space battles could be over player trade routes between planets. (this could also open up new objectives for the smuggler and bounty hunter classes) each planet could produce a special crafting material indigenous to that planet.

I want to see swtor become a living breathing community that is more player driven. but not at the cost of the wonderful story lines.

I am only throwing ideas out there. But 'someone' (not going to point fingers) here seems hell bent on stepping on peoples ideas without offering any alternatives. Its easy to criticize, lets not be so lazy and offer up more ideas. after all I am sure none of us want what ultimately happened to SWG to happen to SWTOR.

Thylbanus
10.08.2013 , 11:57 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Marrius View Post
Obviously SWTOR is not going to become SWG. But why not incorporate more of the successful elements of SWG. And why not improve on these elements. Player cities are fine but have a reason to make them. One way of doing this is high end pvp and pve crafted gear that can only be produced via player cities. Another idea could be introducing more rvr whereby gtm tax prices are influenced by the areas of control each side owns. Reasons for space battles could be over player trade routes between planets. (this could also open up new objectives for the smuggler and bounty hunter classes) each planet could produce a special crafting material indigenous to that planet.

I want to see swtor become a living breathing community that is more player driven. but not at the cost of the wonderful story lines.

I am only throwing ideas out there. But 'someone' (not going to point fingers) here seems hell bent on stepping on peoples ideas without offering any alternatives. Its easy to criticize, lets not be so lazy and offer up more ideas. after all I am sure none of us want what ultimately happened to SWG to happen to SWTOR.
It's ok to dream your dreams, but there comes a time to realize you have to wake at some point. The way this game was built precludes such dreams. As C2-N2 likes to point out, "You can't make a shimmersilk purse out of a bantha's ear."

The alternatives are not out there for player housing as many point out, yet you want to push it. Why are you surprised when people push back? For goodness sake, it took almost a year to get the option to put a guild bank in your ship, imagine putting stuff ANYWHERE. At best in the next year or two, we may be able to hang trophies in predetermined hooks (a la, LotRO and STO). The whole push of the new expansion is to allow customization of the outside of your ship. At least that will be built that way.

As for pointing fingers, a mature person wouldn't have even have pointed it out. Yet you did, but I'm OK with that. Since I put the offerings for my ideas where they belong. In the Suggestions forum, not Community.