Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Storage space and Player housing/cities... Bring back the fun of Galaxies!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Storage space and Player housing/cities... Bring back the fun of Galaxies!!!

HaloPheonix
09.27.2013 , 01:45 PM | #1
Hi everyone,

We all know that "Galaxies" hit the nail on the head. Deleting "Galaxies" tore a hole in millions of peoples hearts. No one thinks that there will ever be a game like "Galaxies" ever again. Creating the option of player cities and allowing us to be creative and design our own house kept everyone at the computer day in ad day out. Not just playing the stories and building up a character, but building a lifestyle in the game where we could bring our friends ad guild members to. The following are a few positives and negatives:

Positives:
More community based guilds with more to control.
More items to buy and or play for.
More people wanting to play.
More lure for Bioware.
More money for Bioware.
Happier customers from the deletion of "Galaxies"
Make all the "Galaxies" players return.
Potentially hitting the records on all the new Star Wars fans involvement in this game.

Negatives:
Bioware has more to work on to make customers happier.
Bioware has to pay for more space for all the new content. (that's why we pay for expansions)
Customers have to pay.
Customers have to wait for the content to load.

The positives far outweigh the negatives. Creating the space on the servers for this content is possible... Other games are starting to do this. If the force will allow it, it will be done.

May the force be with you Bioware.

And again, thanks...

Darth_Precursor
09.28.2013 , 02:22 PM | #2
This game isn't a sandbox. We will never see this.

/thread
Dynaster- Operative Medic
Chillum- Deception Assassin

<GOML>
The Bastion

MoskitoMando
09.28.2013 , 08:24 PM | #3
Loved that feature in Galaxies, it'd be awesome to build your own base of power/stronghold as a Sith Warrior/Inquisitor.
Darth Malgus
Level 55
Jung Ma

theUndead
09.29.2013 , 11:00 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MoskitoMando View Post
Loved that feature in Galaxies, it'd be awesome to build your own base of power/stronghold as a Sith Warrior/Inquisitor.
This game is NOT SWG.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Sphinxes
09.29.2013 , 03:11 PM | #5
"Millions" of SWG players? More like 100K by the end.

That being said the next sandbox MMO should be World of Darkness sometime in 2016...
Have heals - Will travel

Magnusheart
09.29.2013 , 08:15 PM | #6
1. Bioware already said no to this.
2. Bioware said before they even consider this they would give a huge update to the player ships in terms of customization to make it "your home"
3. Bioware said that their developers nearly cry because there is so many quest queue and string clients woven onto the ships from quest status updating etc companion quests etc. that the coding for player ships is a huge mess. and it takes sometimes hours to add something onto it.
4. This would be a long time running to even consider to plan let alone due. You know the already clickable chairs in the ships? They admitted one of their developers "hacked" and went beyond what he was supposed to do to make those clickable to sit in. and they decided to keep it that way.

Thylbanus
09.30.2013 , 06:59 PM | #7
/facepalm.
Enough already! SWG is dead. If it was so great it would still be around, but it's not. Cherry picking would have been great if it started out that way, but now, it would just mess things up.
As for the future, do a search and find any one of the 305 post saying the same thing and just chime in on those.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Slicksteezin
09.30.2013 , 07:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
/facepalm.
Enough already! SWG is dead. If it was so great it would still be around, but it's not. Cherry picking would have been great if it started out that way, but now, it would just mess things up.
As for the future, do a search and find any one of the 305 post saying the same thing and just chime in on those.
Obviously didn't play Galaxies.

I'll agree that this game won't ever have the features of SWG because galaxies was sandbox. But to say Galaxies wasn't great is foolish. As far as depth goes, SWG takes a fat **** on TOR.
Gallasiso - Arsenal merc
Frimen - Sorc heals
Harbinger server

Here in SWTOR, everything seems to break. Except the Cartel Market.

Thylbanus
10.01.2013 , 03:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Slicksteezin View Post
Obviously didn't play Galaxies.

I'll agree that this game won't ever have the features of SWG because galaxies was sandbox. But to say Galaxies wasn't great is foolish. As far as depth goes, SWG takes a fat **** on TOR.
Wrong. I did play Galaxies (Tarquinas server). While I loved many things, but it is still dead. RIP. Please. Let it. If you feel that way go play the EMU of Galaxies and quit TOR. It's actually the Pre-CU/NGE. Have fun over there. I like TOR much better. As for "great", great MMOs don't just fold like that. Look at the top 5 longest running MMOs.
  • Nexus: Kingdom of the Wind - 1998 top-down 2D
  • Tibia - 1997 also top-down 2D
  • Furcadia - 1996 3/4 3D similar to Balder's Gate
  • Meridian 59 - 1996 3D camera pan much like SWTOR (and my first MMO)
  • The Realm Online - 1996 2D MUD-esque that is STILL subscription only (but it's only $6.99)
All fine games that can be quantified as being great by the simple qualification: They have been running since those dates. SWG? 2003-2011 Even the most recent beats SWG by 5 years, except people are still playing that game. If it was great why did John Smedley admit to "stupid decisions" regarding Star Wars Galaxies CU and NGE? Can't be great when the man in charge admits to being stupid about the game. As time goes on we tend to forget the bad and romanticize the good. It's all a factor of getting old. "The "new music" sucks! It's just noise. We had REAL music when I was young." Every generation says the same thing.

There was PLENTY of reasons that game failed, but it did have some bright points and most of those points are NOT going to be integrated into SWTOR. The SSSP looks to be BioWare's answer to JTL. A good move.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Darevsool
10.03.2013 , 07:21 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Wrong. I did play Galaxies (Tarquinas server). While I loved many things, but it is still dead. RIP. Please. Let it. If you feel that way go play the EMU of Galaxies and quit TOR. It's actually the Pre-CU/NGE. Have fun over there. I like TOR much better. As for "great", great MMOs don't just fold like that. Look at the top 5 longest running MMOs.
  • Nexus: Kingdom of the Wind - 1998 top-down 2D
  • Tibia - 1997 also top-down 2D
  • Furcadia - 1996 3/4 3D similar to Balder's Gate
  • Meridian 59 - 1996 3D camera pan much like SWTOR (and my first MMO)
  • The Realm Online - 1996 2D MUD-esque that is STILL subscription only (but it's only $6.99)
All fine games that can be quantified as being great by the simple qualification: They have been running since those dates. SWG? 2003-2011 Even the most recent beats SWG by 5 years, except people are still playing that game. If it was great why did John Smedley admit to "stupid decisions" regarding Star Wars Galaxies CU and NGE? Can't be great when the man in charge admits to being stupid about the game. As time goes on we tend to forget the bad and romanticize the good. It's all a factor of getting old. "The "new music" sucks! It's just noise. We had REAL music when I was young." Every generation says the same thing.

There was PLENTY of reasons that game failed, but it did have some bright points and most of those points are NOT going to be integrated into SWTOR. The SSSP looks to be BioWare's answer to JTL. A good move.

I find the way you define great games flawed. I've never heard of ANY of the games you list as "great." If a game runs for 20 years but only has 50 people playing it...that (to me) doesn't make it great.

I played SWG from before day 1 right up until they turned off the servers. While I love and miss it, SWG and SWTOR are completely different types of games. TOR was never meant to be "SWG2" (look to The Repopulation for that - SciFi based sandbox coming out next year...hopefully---as a 'spiritual successor' as opposed to an official one).