Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do I really Need VOIP for HM operations

ELRunninW
10.28.2013 , 04:48 PM | #61
I am not sure it is necessary to discuss usefulness of VOIP in operations in this thread. It does not change the fact that if someone is asking you to have one, you better do or look for another group. Who cares what their motivation is raise your hand?

Now before anyone raises their hand, I don't really care who does.

chuixupu
10.28.2013 , 04:52 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by ELRunninW View Post
I am not sure it is necessary to discuss usefulness of VOIP in operations in this thread. It does not change the fact that if someone is asking you to have one, you better do or look for another group.
Yeah, true....so TL;DR, a lot of people require them, so either get one (they're very simple and easy to use, and free) or else just keep trying until you find groups that don't require it.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Jeweledleah
10.28.2013 , 11:27 PM | #63
what folks above me said.

real time communication is invaluable for a successful operation, especially hard mode one. especially since TOR doesn't allow for operations announcement macros (basically, instead of typing in chat, you click a pre typed sentence you saved with one button - saves often necessary time)

in my experience, in TOR most people use either teamspeak or mumble (mumble can be a bit temperamental to set up) both take up very little space on your harddrive and are quick to set up. haven't used ventrilo since I stopped playing WoW (I don't do much content requiring voice in other MMO's I play)

I highly doubt bioware would ever implement in game voice chat, because at this point most people are too used to using their third party programs they can utilize across multiple games on the same account. it would be unnecessary waste of resources.

(and yes, you don't need to have a mice and talk, in fact, most people prefer that you don't - keeps the channel empty for strategy explanations and in fight callouts)

Quraswren
10.30.2013 , 07:51 AM | #64
Yes, for HM you need VoIP. The operations were designed around you having the ability to communicate.

I doubt any PUg groups hit HM ops and complete with without some forum of Voip. Only after a large number of completed attempts would I think VoIP might not be needed.

You can get away without having VoIP in SM and it can still be a pain in the arse to not use it but I don't think for HM you want to try the ops without it unless you got some gamers that have done it enough they just know what to do and when and sadly - That just doesn't happen often enough to rely on it.

VoIP is the way to go.

XavinNydek
10.30.2013 , 09:35 AM | #65
For difficult content, you typically need it. If people don't know the fights, you 100% need it as explaining in chat is cumbersome and slow. There are plenty of fights where the raid leader needs to make a decision and call it out (which pillar to go to in TfB Kephess, when to start ignoring mechanics and burn, whether to fail a phase in Operator, coordinating percentages on two different mobs, etc). Raids also go much smoother when major mechanics are called out, a few reminders can be the difference between a wipe and a win. You can do some of that stuff through chat, but you generally don't have the time to stop and type.

As for why it's not built into the game, people wouldn't use it. Other MMOs have integrated voice chat, and for the most part people still use their own voice servers because they are more flexible, they can admin them themselves, and they aren't tied to the game. They also don't have to conform to game rules, there would almost certainly be some kinds of restrictions on profanity for in-game voice chat, nobody wants to deal with that.