Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do I really Need VOIP for HM operations

SleepyKing
09.27.2013 , 07:49 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Creslan View Post
That being said, VOIP does make raiding easier. It is more of a security blanket for raiders and raid leaders. But honestly, with everything telegraphed in BIG RED LETTERS and ground targets everywhere these days you would need to be in a coma to miss stuff.
Voice chat isn't really about calling out telegraphs and red circles, though. It's used for co-ordination. It's so everyone is on the same page when it comes to the strategy, and so that it can be adjusted on the fly if necessary.

For the OP, as others have said, yes, you need to have these programs installed and be willing to run them in order to participate in most HM ops (barring maybe EV and KP). They may not strictly be necessary, but when I'm raid leading I'm not all that inclined to spend ten minutes typing out the Operator 9 strategy every time I run, or dealing with unnecessary wipes just because someone couldn't be bothered installing a free program.

Vegabond
09.27.2013 , 08:11 PM | #22
If you want to pug you pretty much always have the trio of voice comms Mumble/ts3/vent

I think maybe one time in GW2 a guild still used raidcall

mikebevo
09.27.2013 , 08:46 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Creslan View Post
But honestly, with everything telegraphed in BIG RED LETTERS and ground targets everywhere these days you would need to be in a coma to miss stuff.
When exactly does those big red letters tell you to click on the pillar in second phase of kephess on HM/NiM Kephess? When does those big red letter tell you the the percentage of the tentacles in phase 1 of TfB in H/NiM TfB, I can go on Stormcaller, Toth..... Yeah tank and spank you are correct, you could go though SM/HM/NiM EV, without voice, you can do SM TfB or S&V without voice. Hell in my normal group we could do HM TfB or TfB without voice, we have done it that often with voice as a group, but for someone with inexperience or a group unfamiliar with each other, voice is a very useful tool, even for a group that has played together and know the instances, it just makes it easier. and allows for some mistakes.

JDotter
09.27.2013 , 09:23 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by mikebevo View Post
When exactly does those big red letters tell you to click on the pillar in second phase of kephess on HM/NiM Kephess? When does those big red letter tell you the the percentage of the tentacles in phase 1 of TfB in H/NiM TfB, I can go on Stormcaller, Toth..... Yeah tank and spank you are correct, you could go though SM/HM/NiM EV, without voice, you can do SM TfB or S&V without voice. Hell in my normal group we could do HM TfB or TfB without voice, we have done it that often with voice as a group, but for someone with inexperience or a group unfamiliar with each other, voice is a very useful tool, even for a group that has played together and know the instances, it just makes it easier. and allows for some mistakes.
You don't need a callout to click.

1st: after second set goes out 6/8 out of group will havve it.
2nd: After jump and set goes out
3rd: Same as first.

TFB, only important are 25% anomalies or 4/8/12 ones before pushing phase.

Op9 is important % on cores.

You can raid without communication but it helps agree 100%.

Above is 8/8 guild run

pug runs require a leader who explains stuff.

znihilist
09.27.2013 , 09:49 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
Why on Earth not? I applaud your achievements and am actually quite impressed, but why are you intentionally making life more difficult on yourself? Are you some sort of sadist (just kidding).

Aside from things like coordinating clicking/killing/moving etc. being able to talk in real time helps with so many other things.

If a tank can simply say that they are about to take a big hit and have no defensive cool-downs up, the healers have a little bit of warning and can start getting ready to pre-cast and preparing themselves for the sudden dip in HP. As well as things like debuff stacks wearing off, taunt swapping, the list goes on-and-on.

If a healer unfortunately draws add aggro, it's a lot easier for them to yell to get the adds off of them than for someone else to realize it.

I'm not calling you crazy, or saying your way is wrong, but just suggesting that it would more than likely make your life easier to have some sort of voice chat
Honestly ? I have no idea!
This was a thing before I joined the guild (almost a year ago), and it has continued with us to this day. Several of us tried to suggest using it on a small scale (between tanks and healers at least) but there was a heavy resistance to it so we dropped it. But I do agree with you that it can make life easy (very easy). However, I think it has thought us to pay a lot of attention to our surroundings in a fight. For example even when I am a DPS, I always have someone else (depending on the fight) on focus target to pay attention to them, I am always zoomed out so I can see everything around my character, paying attention to the health bar etc etc.
But we do have a TS3 server, and only 3 of us actually use it (including me). But we use it more or less for goofing off late at night, while we PvP etc/etc.
These are not the signatures you are looking for!

wainot-keel
09.27.2013 , 10:51 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
I wouldn't take any pug to a HM Op without voice. Not unless I knew them and knew that they were extremely experienced, and even then I'd hesitate. I probably wouldn't take anyone to a level 55 SM Op either without voice chat. Ops are, more than anything else, a test of coordination and execution. The first part of that is extremely difficult to achieve if you don't have an open line of communication.
I've done boss 1 and 2 of TfB without voice in a pug, but for OP9 was not even a question whether was necessary or not. We got in and then discussed the different approaches, what we were used to do with our guilds (only 3 were from the same guild). Everybody there were people who cleared tfb hm (checked their achievements). Even so, took a few tries until we down the boss.
TBH, without voice because of whatever, I would have given only 1 attempt at op9 out of politeness.

Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
Is this really necessary or are people just being elitist's.
wow... in what sense using voice chat is "elitist" ? Serious question

They're not exactly a rare comodity. At all. There are several of them out there. All free.
Because of mad skillz to use them ? My 70 year old mom uses one. And she can't play pac-man for crying out loud.

Again, how using voice chat is "elitist" ?

I can't imagine Bio-Ware would put operations in their game that would require a feature that they don't even include on their game.
Why reinvent the wheel ?

There are a bunch of good options, well tested, with years of being out there. BW would be wasting time and money developing this. Really wasting money. And a lot of people would keep using the other programs they know...

Simmerr
09.27.2013 , 10:52 PM | #27
Ok, so the general consensus is : You really do need VOIP in order to be effective in HM op's.

Let me present a hypothetical and tough question.

You are the Guild Master of a decent sized and decently skilled guild and you have some who would like to join and become part of the raiding team but, theirs one problem. He is hearing impaired (basically deaf). What do you do? I just couldn't imagine telling some kid he couldn't join our guild because he has a disability ( I would feel like a total A-Hole). Has anybody had to deal with this kind of situation???
Ever see a disabled person on a highly competitive sports team?

In all reality, unless he is god tier at gaming and anticipation, someone that might be slightly worse skill wise but that can hear, react, and respond on the fly is going to be more of an asset to the team. It's science, auditory cues travel to our brain almost twice as fast, [1] thus allowing us to react faster. [2]

It sucks, but this is why the advantage lies with able bodied persons.

This is also why you shouldn't ever raid competitively with the sound off.

And, obviously, if you're only doing faceroll operations or easy tasks, this data means next to nothing

[1] http://biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm
[2] http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/courses/...s%202005/5.htm
Str'iker -- Assassin Tank
Str'yker -- Merc DPS
You're gonna push your luck

FridgeLM
09.27.2013 , 10:56 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
I think you need an update to your imagination unit

Seriously, LOTRO online (the first mmo I really played) had it built in, and it made any group content infinitely more enjoyable. There are three things, any one of which could be stopping BW from integrating voice: licensing cost (if there is no free version), development cost (since the engine itself obviously didn't have it built-in), and engine limitations. I'm going for the latter -- the swtor engine is so clunky I keep a second computer next to my gaming computer just to do voice and web surfing.
Wow implemented a voip feature and it was the biggest joke ever, caused a lot of technical problems and bugs, and nobody used it.

That's the reason they won't implement it. It's not worth the effort.
<Death and Taxes>

eartharioch
09.27.2013 , 11:41 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by FridgeLM View Post
Wow implemented a voip feature and it was the biggest joke ever, caused a lot of technical problems and bugs, and nobody used it.

That's the reason they won't implement it. It's not worth the effort.
So one game (LOTRO) implemented it well, but WoW (which I've never played) failed, so BW won't implement it? I'm confused. Most people on these forums complain that BW won't do what WoW did "right:, not that BW won't do what WoW did wrong.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

Askesis
09.28.2013 , 12:15 AM | #30
Ok, so the general consensus is : You really do need VOIP in order to be effective in HM op's.

Let me present a hypothetical and tough question.

You are the Guild Master of a decent sized and decently skilled guild and you have some who would like to join and become part of the raiding team but, theirs one problem. He is hearing impaired (basically deaf). What do you do? I just couldn't imagine telling some kid he couldn't join our guild because he has a disability ( I would feel like a total A-Hole). Has anybody had to deal with this kind of situation???
I've never dealt with these. I remember reading about a pretty competitive raiding guild that had a BLIND member.

It's not impossible to raid without VOIP. However, it is more difficult. Depending on the player's role, it can be more of less important (and different fights are of more importance than others. It can certainly be done, but there are more hurdles that come along with that. It would be up to you/your guild to decide if you want to take on that task.

Keep in mind that it's also much harder to PUG without VOIP than it is to run with an established raid group. With a group that runs together all the time and knows what they should be doing at any given time, then you have more leeway with someone not being on VOIP. I, however, would never pug a HM without it, because you can't be sure that everybody is competent (and not every person in the PUG may do the encounter the same way).