Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do I really Need VOIP for HM operations

Darth-Mailman
09.27.2013 , 02:49 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
Every time I see people looking to build a HM Op's groups (S&V or TFB) they always say stuff like.

TS3 is required

Must have Mumble

Need to have Ventrilo

Is this really necessary or are people just being elitist's. I can't imagine Bio-Ware would put operations in their game that would require a feature that they don't even include on their game.
It is definitely not them being elitists..... On the contrary, it basically means they are careful and don't want an evening long wipefest due to one or more pugs that cannot coordinate/hear directions.

On SM you can get away with a lot, on HM that is not the case, especially with a not so experienced group.
And when a group needs to anticipate on something happening during the fight (dus to an error someone made for instance) typing in chat just takes to long and is often missed by people...
Failure is allways an option.

eartharioch
09.27.2013 , 03:02 PM | #12
I can't imagine Bio-Ware would put operations in their game that would require a feature that they don't even include on their game.
I think you need an update to your imagination unit

Seriously, LOTRO online (the first mmo I really played) had it built in, and it made any group content infinitely more enjoyable. There are three things, any one of which could be stopping BW from integrating voice: licensing cost (if there is no free version), development cost (since the engine itself obviously didn't have it built-in), and engine limitations. I'm going for the latter -- the swtor engine is so clunky I keep a second computer next to my gaming computer just to do voice and web surfing.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

cxten
09.27.2013 , 03:08 PM | #13
I can't imagine Bio-Ware would put operations in their game that would require a feature that they don't even include on their game.
Each of these is a quick download and install, and it's free to join someone else's server (though they're paying something to have a server). If you don't have a mic or just don't want to speak, most won't mind if you write that you'll just listen in.

There's really no barrier to joining someone's ts3/vent/mumble.

(Of course if you get into a serious group regularly doing challenging content, it's best if everyone has a mic.)

znihilist
09.27.2013 , 03:54 PM | #14
Yes and no.

Usually when it is people you don't know, or people new to operations etc etc it is advisable to have one.
As for if you are running it with a guild where everyone knows their stuff, no. We are about to start NiM OPs in our guild and still don't use VOIP.
SWTOR: KotFE, Rise of the Ehh I guess I'll get used to it eventually

JMagee
09.27.2013 , 04:10 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post
Yes and no.

Usually when it is people you don't know, or people new to operations etc etc it is advisable to have one.
As for if you are running it with a guild where everyone knows their stuff, no. We are about to start NiM OPs in our guild and still don't use VOIP.
Why on Earth not? I applaud your achievements and am actually quite impressed, but why are you intentionally making life more difficult on yourself? Are you some sort of sadist (just kidding).

Aside from things like coordinating clicking/killing/moving etc. being able to talk in real time helps with so many other things.

If a tank can simply say that they are about to take a big hit and have no defensive cool-downs up, the healers have a little bit of warning and can start getting ready to pre-cast and preparing themselves for the sudden dip in HP. As well as things like debuff stacks wearing off, taunt swapping, the list goes on-and-on.

If a healer unfortunately draws add aggro, it's a lot easier for them to yell to get the adds off of them than for someone else to realize it.

I'm not calling you crazy, or saying your way is wrong, but just suggesting that it would more than likely make your life easier to have some sort of voice chat

Falver
09.27.2013 , 04:18 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post
Yes and no.

Good luck with Op9 and kephess. And I mean that seriously, I can't see those two fights as being possible without voice chat.
The Harbinger
Claimed - Thirteenth - Falver
<Phobos> is recruiting to fill in multiple raid groups. Apply at http://fearphobos.com/

GalaxyStrong
09.27.2013 , 05:38 PM | #17
Ok, so the general consensus is : You really do need VOIP in order to be effective in HM op's.

Let me present a hypothetical and tough question.

You are the Guild Master of a decent sized and decently skilled guild and you have some who would like to join and become part of the raiding team but, theirs one problem. He is hearing impaired (basically deaf). What do you do? I just couldn't imagine telling some kid he couldn't join our guild because he has a disability ( I would feel like a total A-Hole). Has anybody had to deal with this kind of situation???
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

JMagee
09.27.2013 , 05:44 PM | #18
Ok, so the general consensus is : You really do need VOIP in order to be effective in HM op's.

You are the Guild Master of a decent sized and decently skilled guild and you have some who would like to join and become part of the raiding team but, theirs one problem. He is hearing impaired (basically deaf). What do you do? I just couldn't imagine telling some kid he couldn't join our guild because he has a disability ( I would feel like a total A-Hole). Has anybody had to deal with this kind of situation???
In my opinion, you give the guy a shot. If it's someone you want in your guild, and he makes his hearing impairment clear from the start, give him every opportunity for it to work. If he's DPS, and a good player, he should be able to pick enough up from Ops text (if you go to great lengths to explain the fights to him). If he's a healer, with the exception of cleanses (which he doesn't necessarily need voice chat to notice), he should be OK. Tanking would probably be the most difficult of the three, but I'm sure with enough practice it could be done, at least HMs.

And I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but if he can't hack it because he's hearing impaired, than he's not going to be part of your raid team. It's not different than if he was just a bad. Contrary to what some people believe, I don't believe everybody should be able to do everything (in life, not just in game). The needs of the many sometimes outweigh the needs of the few.

The 2 hearing impaired people I know are rather self-deprecating and can joke at the fact that they can't hear worth a damn. I think there's a fair chance that if he saw that it couldn't work, he'd be perfectly OK with it.

Stuffedduck
09.27.2013 , 06:21 PM | #19

In a guild I was in we had a deaf member who raided HM with the rest of us and failed less than others, who were on VoIP. So it isn't needed to be able to listen, but it in general it helps a lot.
A deaf player will have to pay way more attention to the screen itself, text messages etc as they wont be able to get the sound effects for specific effects (e.g. massive laser on TC, or ability procs). And to be honest, I suppose that a deaf player will have a higher visual awareness to compensate for the missing aural sense.

Creslan
09.27.2013 , 07:08 PM | #20
I've raided in Multiple MMO's over the years ranging from 72 man raids to 8 man raids for the past 14 years. NO, VOIP is not needed for raids. Situational awareness and knowing your roll and character are more important.

That being said, VOIP does make raiding easier. It is more of a security blanket for raiders and raid leaders. But honestly, with everything telegraphed in BIG RED LETTERS and ground targets everywhere these days you would need to be in a coma to miss stuff.