Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do I really Need VOIP for HM operations

GalaxyStrong
09.27.2013 , 11:35 AM | #1
Every time I see people looking to build a HM Op's groups (S&V or TFB) they always say stuff like.

TS3 is required

Must have Mumble

Need to have Ventrilo

Is this really necessary or are people just being elitist's. I can't imagine Bio-Ware would put operations in their game that would require a feature that they don't even include on their game.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

Sprgmr
09.27.2013 , 11:38 AM | #2
Groups require it so they can be organized. So that you can hear something being called out. It helps to prevent it from becoming a cluster****. If you're not in voice chat it is usually assumed that a wipe is your fault, since you are unaware what everyone else is talking about/doing.

NoFishing
09.27.2013 , 11:41 AM | #3
In short, yes. Unless you already know the operation very well, you should at least be able to listen to the raid leader's fight explanations and instructions, as well as mid-fight call-outs and strategy changes. The HM version of operations require much more coordination than their SM versions, and I personally wouldn't bother with someone I didn't know that wasn't willing to join us in vent.

JMagee
09.27.2013 , 11:42 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
Every time I see people looking to build a HM Op's groups (S&V or TFB) they always say stuff like.

TS3 is required

Must have Mumble

Need to have Ventrilo

Is this really necessary or are people just being elitist's. I can't imagine Bio-Ware would put operations in their game that would require a feature that they don't even include on their game.
If you've never done the OPs before, then I would say it's certainly a must.

If you're comfortable with the OPs on HM,(which I would find suspect that you have become used to these OPs without VOIP to begin with) not as much

BW has made the SMs of these OPs dumbed-down enough that you can basically roll your head over your keyboard and probably succeed.

A lot of the reasons VOIP is required is because it makes everything 100x easier. Being able to talk to someone in real time, especially on fights where some degree of coordination is needed (OP IX, Kephess, TFB), is a godsend. It's also easier to explain a fight to someone who has never done it by talking to them, versus typing walls of text in Ops chat.

But personally if we're pugging 1-2 people who don't happen to have TS3 and know the Ops well, it's easy to just give a few key pieces of info in Ops chat and they will know enough to do the rest.

So, for me, if you've never done the Op before, yes VOIP is a must. If you're seasoned in the Op on HM, then I'd be alright just telling you important pieces of info through Ops chat

chuixupu
09.27.2013 , 11:42 AM | #5
It depends. A lot of times people will let it slide if you don't have VOIP if you're very experienced in the content and aren't playing a role where communication is important (some fights it really helps tanks to be able to talk to each other). In most cases they just want people to be able to listen, not necessarily talk.

You can do it without coms but in a pug where you don't know what kind of players you're going to get, it helps to make things go more smoothly. And that's what people want out of any run.

What is YOUR experience in doing hard mode operations? Do you find VOIP to be helpful at all?

As to Bioware's stance on voice communication, I'm pretty sure they are aware that VOIP programs are pretty much standard practice in a lot of multiplayer games. They're free and simple to get and use. Some games have their own in-game VOIP programs but most don't, or have tried and abandoned it because people preferred the third party ones.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

mikebevo
09.27.2013 , 12:48 PM | #6
Short answer, I don't know you...yes it is required.

I don't care if you can't talk or if you don't want to talk, but you must hear. Now if I know you and know you know the fights, then most fights the answer would be no you don't need it. Still it is better to have it because if someone makes a mistake, voice can be the difference between a wipe and a kill.

I will not do a HM operations with someone I don't know without them having voice. I don't expect anyone to talk, but they must be able to take directions over voice.

Projawa
09.27.2013 , 12:56 PM | #7
It's a requirement for non-trivial hardmodes especially if there are first-timers in the group. You don't need to talk if you're playing a non-critical role though it helps. Just listen. In the Everquest days there was no VOIP and raids were coordinated entirely through chat. Many vanilla WoW guilds did the same. Nowadays it's a basic requirement. If you regularly pug I'd install all 3 voip tools (Mumble, Vent, TS3).

DarthObelisk
09.27.2013 , 12:58 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post

TS3 is required

Must have Mumble

Need to have Ventrilo

Please tell me this is a joke ?
If not then
yes there are multiple bosses and trash pulls where voice communication and coordination is critical so as not to cause a party wipe.
Example the HM TC ops with this one the time between the big laser beam of death shortens every time he uses it and if you're not listening for the cues that its about to happen it can cause wipes.
Probably one of the more widely known bosses is the Operator 9 boss in TFB HM
So i would say yes its important
Jedi Sentinel 65 Jedi Consular 70 Jedi Shadow 70
Gunslinger 65 Commando 50

Imperial Agent 65 Sith Assassin 70 Sith Sorcerer 70
Sith Warrior 65
Mercenary 65

Falver
09.27.2013 , 01:53 PM | #9
The short answer is yes, pug'd groups will often simply fail, especially without good leadership in a VOIP.
The Harbinger
Claimed - Thirteenth - Falver
<Phobos> is recruiting to fill in multiple raid groups. Apply at http://fearphobos.com/

KeyboardNinja
09.27.2013 , 02:19 PM | #10
I wouldn't take any pug to a HM Op without voice. Not unless I knew them and knew that they were extremely experienced, and even then I'd hesitate. I probably wouldn't take anyone to a level 55 SM Op either without voice chat. Ops are, more than anything else, a test of coordination and execution. The first part of that is extremely difficult to achieve if you don't have an open line of communication.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017