Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting system is utterly boring. Here's my suggestion.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting system is utterly boring. Here's my suggestion.

Talimar
12.21.2011 , 06:43 PM | #11
It's not a sandbox game like SWG was in the beginning, therefore I don't expect anything from the "crafting" mini game, except to be another option for me to play with.

If you want that depth of crafting you need a game that is design around it, design to have an economy that wont be inflate at lightspeed after launch and has the proper sinks in place. Only SWG's original system came close. This is an action rpg, it's just not going to happen.

With regard to dev billable hours, you know this game has already cost like $100 million... what's a few extra dollars here or there?
"We're merging you with US servers. Your gameplay experience will be abysmal, but you'll have higher populations!"
"But we play at entirely different times."
"Doesn't matter. Our metrics will show higher populations."

Tiresias
12.21.2011 , 07:02 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelKer-Nal View Post
Look, the whole game is on rails and designed with an excess of simplicity. Much like the game it is cloned from.

And you want more depth? This is not the game you're looking for.
Multiple ways to level:

While the class storyline is compulsory, if you don't want to be involved in the "experience" of a Bioware game you shouldn't be playing a Bioware game. Otherwise you can skip the side quests and level through space combat, flashpoints, and/or PvP.

Fully customizable gear:

What the original post is asking for is actually already in the game. You can acquire a single item for a slot that is aesthetically pleasing to you and modify it to your desired specifications. The modding system is pretty granular, and even in endgame the vast majority of moddable items that you collect over the course of leveling remain relevant well into the progression gear.

Light/Dark choices.
Romance options.
Companion gearing/setup (most companions have two roles they can fill).
Multiple viable talent tree builds for everything but the tank roles (those are pretty locked-in).

I'm not really sure what you were looking for here. SWTOR is a "themepark" MMO that, like pretty much every Bioware game, has a linear storyline. The difference is that the story is well-developed, the characters are interesting and entertaining, and the game has a lot of polish.

However, the game can't be everything to everyone. If you aren't having fun then you can play a different game.

ColonelKer-Nal
12.22.2011 , 12:20 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
However, the game can't be everything to everyone. If you aren't having fun then you can play a different game.
I didn't say I wasn't having fun, I said the game is simplistic. There is a difference. But thanks for your fanboi attitude telling me to pack up and go elsewhere. I'm sure Bioware appreciates you sending their paying customers away over a difference in opinion. I find your very narrow point of view... well simplistic.

I will even go so far as to say this game is more simplistic than the Mass Effect series. The Mass Effect series has a very high replay value, well over 8 times through it and you can still find different options and different paths to take that will change the story line for you.

Not here. If the key to this game is story, well the stories are well written, compelling, and engrossing. No complaints here.

BUT, and it's a big but, the actual game play itself is simplistic. The crafting is simplistic, the combat is simplistic, the space combat is horribly simplistic, and ..... well you get the idea.

What does this mean? It means that once I've been through each story line, maybe even twice, there is nothing to keep me here.

PVP? Meh, maybe, but a simplistic combat vs other players is still a simplistic combat system.

Raids? Maybe. I'm disinclined to think that the devs have made any truly interesting mechanics for Operations. Probably no simultaneous click, or Team A has to complete one objective while team B completes a completely separate objective, then they reunite for the finale. Will the Operation boss be more than a huge bag of HP with one or two OP'd gimmicks?

Gear based character progression = grind... blech. I already have a job, thanks.

Now for the good news;
This is an MMO. MMOs change over time. Development is ongoing. For example, one of the devs (James Ohlen?) said that have a pleasant surprise coming down the pipe regarding 3D space combat. What does that mean? I have no idea, but IMO it would be hard to make it worse than it currently is.

And there is room for improvement in the crafting as well. I'm a pretty casual player, but I'd love to see some more depth in the crafting system. I don't mind that the actual crafting is done by the companions, that just means that when I log in to play, I get to play, not stand around chatting while doing some stupid hammering emote and watching a crafting progress bar. But I still get to craft.

I've gone on long enough, I think you see my points even if you choose not to get them.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Sokelial
12.22.2011 , 12:34 AM | #14
I like the OP's idea about having seperate components to make. It's similar to the way EQ2's crafting started and I really enjoyed it.

undeafdp
12.22.2011 , 12:47 AM | #15
Totally disagree, at last craft is fun, craft is simple and understandable. You don't have to run over some marketplace and buy overpriced material from some greedy dwarf.
Crafting like in Aion or Lineage2 and Rift must be forbidden by Geneva convention, this is bad for your mental health
Dimitri Aeolian / Bloodworthy / Mountain Rain

Canlocu
12.22.2011 , 12:52 AM | #16
EQ2's crafting was fun at first, then just became a giant time sinkhole, one you had to rely on other crafters for components. I like the current crafting. I can spend more time playing then sitting at a crafting station or some dark hole. Now having more or a variety of items to craft would be nice.
Mount Phoenix Imperials
Beta Squadron 11-11-11

Drahh
12.22.2011 , 12:58 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Pungsvett View Post
The crafting system in this game is really boring. You make an item and there is a chance you'll make a better or normal version of it.. Not very interesting.

Why can't the devs re-make it and consider a modular approach to it?
Let me explain.

We'll take a heavy armour as an example.

First of a crafter would start with an exo-chassis there would be something like 5 or 10 different types. Or a number in between This is what you would mount your components too. It would carry the base stats and base shape of the vest.

Imagine if it was built up of these components which also would between 5 and 10 different models of each type, they would function as modifiers of the base stats and carry module slots for possible upgrades, they would also determine the looks of the shoulder pads etc.

Powercore/Jetpack
Chest plate
Abdomen plate
Shoulder pads
Liner

A crafter would go on and make those five separate parts and assemble into a heavy armour piece. Each piece would come in 5, 10 or 15 different variations, with different stats and different slots and different looks for enhancement/upgrades. The crafting skill would be the decider of how many functional upgrade slots a finished product would have.

This would make crafting interesting and fun to engage in. just imagine the possibilities.
Lets say the developers opt for 5 diffrent parts of each type.

5x5x5x5x5x5=15625 diffrent variations of a crafted armour. This might be too high, some of you think, but i mean if it gets implemented they can choose any number of parts.
I agree to a point. Honestly I'm disapointed by the crew skills because I thought they would have added something "extra" to this MMO since a few MMO's ive played are so similar. Having your crew make it does save time, but it also takes away from more of the hands on approach to it. . .so yeah it is boring lol

Repefe
12.22.2011 , 01:19 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Sokelial View Post
I like the OP's idea about having seperate components to make. It's similar to the way EQ2's crafting started and I really enjoyed it.
Except it's exactly what mods do ... all OP is suggesting is that there should be more mods. Instead of light saber with 4 slots you get light saber with 10 ... messy.
Killer: 53%, Socializer: 53%, Achiever: 47%, Explorer: 47%

Degini
12.22.2011 , 03:10 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelKer-Nal View Post
I didn't say I wasn't having fun, I said the game is simplistic. There is a difference. But thanks for your fanboi attitude telling me to pack up and go elsewhere. I'm sure Bioware appreciates you sending their paying customers away over a difference in opinion. I find your very narrow point of view... well simplistic.
He is telling you to leave because you are here whining to have the game changed to something YOU would like more, at the expense of the people who like it how it is. Why is your satisfaction more important that the satisfaction of those who currently like the game the way it is? Who do you think you are?

If you do not like the game the way it was built, then go play something else. It is not a fanboy attitude, it is a realistic attitude.

hadoken
12.22.2011 , 03:13 PM | #20
The suggestion given reminds me of SWG, which while it was an amazing crafting system is not something that would work well here. What we have here works very well, it is a pity you find it boring.